SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 08, 2015, 12:15 PM
Find More Posts by Rebel 1
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
Build Log
USS Haggard DD-555 (Lindberg Blue Devil)

Hi Everyone,
I started this build a few years ago. Its been stalled for a long time now. I got stuck in the thinking of some guys on another site. Many think it's good to have two or more builds going at the same time, so when you get tired of one you can work on another.

I have so many things going that I got tired of everything and nothing has been done in a very long time. Then there's real life day to day things that pull us away from our builds.

I'm by no means a great model builder or a fast one either. I use the skills I've learned over the years and put them to use as best I can. For those of you that would like to see what I've done so far here's a link to the ship model forum: http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum...p?f=59&t=98554

Feel free to ask me anything you like and I'll do my best to answer you.
Rebel 1 is offline Find More Posts by Rebel 1
Last edited by Rebel 1; Mar 27, 2015 at 07:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 08, 2015, 12:44 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
That's it for now. I'm posting to this thread in real time and as I mentioned, I'm not a very fast builder.
Old Mar 08, 2015, 09:43 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
Kit Twin 40mm Guns VS 1/125th and 1/96 Scale Twin 40mm Guns

Here's a photo showing how out of scale Lindberg Blue Devil 40mm Bofors are compared to John Haynes 1/96 scale and HR Products 1/125th scale. The kit guns are almost as big as Johns 1/96 scale guns.
Last edited by Rebel 1; Apr 28, 2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old Mar 08, 2015, 10:34 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,633 Posts
Enjoying what you're sharing here; the 'up close and personal' with the fittings, any fittings is appreciated.

Indeed the 40mm guns are enormous and remain so even on the Lindberg Minesweeper (Admirable Class) and are apparently shared between the kits. It's especially bad when the bow mounted 3" 50 cal gun is also dwarfed by the 40's. However the sweeper's 20mm single gun Oerlikons are quite nearly divine with a passable attempt at shoulder rests and gun sights.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old Mar 09, 2015, 12:02 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
Hi Harquebus,
It amazing to me how much work must go into making all the molds for any model kit. Why couldn't Lindberg have done a more accurate job in the first place. I don't think it would have taken any longer to produce the kit.

I should find all the parts and bits I cut off the kit parts to show how much of the kit I'm not using.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 03:46 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
RC Blue Devil Bulwark Re-work and Mk-51 Gun Director Platform

Bulwark on most model kits is out of scale (thicker) because if the manufacturer tried to make it to scale it would get damaged as the parts are made or it could be damaged in the box during shipping, not to mention it would be very fragile for our children's small fingers that want to touch everything

I try to make it as thin as possible so it looks more realistic. My original bulwark on the centerline 40mm mount was damaged, so here's the re-work.

First I cut a couple strips of .010 thick styrene. Then I glued the bulwark strip on the base of the mount starting on the side and bent and glued my way around. I cut the strip and glued the ends together.

Next, I wrapped the other strip around a wood dowel close to the size I needed for the Mk-51 director platform and put it in a cup of hot water. Then I wrapped it twice around a drill bit to get the exact size I wanted gluing after the first wrap. I cut a styrene disk to fit inside and that's it. Later I'll make the railing for the gun director platform out of either styrene rod or brass wire.

Later I'll make the railing
Last edited by Rebel 1; Apr 28, 2015 at 07:53 AM.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 05:36 PM
Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Valencia, CA
Joined Oct 2002
4,014 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel 1 View Post
Bulwark on most model kits is out of scale (thicker) because if the manufacturer tried to make it to scale it would get damaged as the parts are made or it could be damaged in the box during shipping, not to mention it would be very fragile for our children's small fingers that want to touch everything

I try to make it as thin as possible so it looks more realistic. My original bulwark on the centerline 40mm mount was damaged, so here's the re-work.

First I cut a couple strips of .010 thick styrene. Then I glued the bulwark strip on the base of the mount starting on the side and bent and glued my way around. I cut the strip and glued the ends together.

Next, I wrapped the other strip around a wood dowel close to the size I needed for the Mk-51 director platform and put it in a cup of hot water. Then I wrapped it twice around a drill bit to get the exact size I wanted gluing after the first wrap. I cut a styrene disk to fit inside and that's it. Later I'll make the railing for the gun director platform out of either styrene rod or brass wire.

Later I'll make the railing
Thanks for the tutorial! I guess the answer to the question regarding ammo racks is two more questions -- "How good is your eyesight?" and "Do you have OCD?"

I did not realize until I saw your recent posts that HR Products makes the twin 40mm Bofors in 1:125 scale. I just checked their site and found that the prices are very reasonable, too, so cleaning them up would probably take a lot less time than trying to make the Lindbergh twin 4o's work -- even with the help of Tom's photo-etch.

I also saw a 1:125 model of the USS Kidd in the HR gallery that I do not believe that I have seen before. The photos are pretty small, but it looks like a really excellent model, and conversion to the final AA configuration must have been an additional challenge. Glad to see that the Haggard is getting some attention again.

Pete G.
P_J_Glor is offline Find More Posts by P_J_Glor
Old Mar 10, 2015, 06:44 PM
Find More Posts by Steve Bad
"Take the Cannollis"
Lake Martin ALABAMA
Joined Feb 2006
918 Posts
The main problem with the Lindy kit ( in my opinion) is the sheerline.

Real Fletchers had a pronounced sheer, while the Lindy kit is just a straight line, stem to transom. Since the deck is very flexible, I would try to dremel the hull a little to get that sheer right.

This side view shows it all....that graceful curve of the deckline from the bullnose to the transom.
Steve Bad is offline Find More Posts by Steve Bad
Last edited by Steve Bad; Mar 10, 2015 at 06:55 PM.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 09:47 PM
Find More Posts by Harquebus
I see all your typos
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,633 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel 1 View Post
It amazing to me how much work must go into making all the molds for any model kit. Why couldn't Lindberg have done a more accurate job in the first place. I don't think it would have taken any longer to produce the kit.
The kit is what it is--a product of 1960s technology (or is it 1950s?) and the provision for the kit to be a motorized toy. Motorized model kits were a big thing some decades ago. Motorized boats, cars and airplanes with spinning propellers...

If I was a bit more sane, I'd go with Revell's 1/144 Fletcher and convert it to a low/square bridge DD.

~Harq
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:24 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
Hi Peejay,
I don't have OCD and I use an opti visor like most guys!!!LOL Did you check out the link to William Dunns Mertz? He tried to fix the Lindy hull and gave up and bought a fiberglass hull. The ship model forum has some nice photos of his Mertz, but the Lindy Fletcher Group had everything from start to finish. The 1/96 scale Fletcher I'm building will have all the bells and whistles and the hull is nice like the real thing. That's why I'm not going to do as much to this kit as I might have done. I just want to get it finished and see it in the water.

If I went ahead and made ammo racks for this wreck I probably do have OCD!!!!!LOL
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:35 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
Hi Steve,
I know this kit is the worst representation of the real thing. I have so many photos and I've seen so many online of the real thing. Like many people say, its a fun boat and not to go crazy with it.

Harq has it wright, the Revell is a much better kit although smaller. There are still a few on E-bay from time to time at a high price. Even that kit has lots of problems. That's why there's so much after market upgrade stuff for it.

A friend on the Ship Model Forum said I was beautifying a sow. He's 100% correct. At the time I bought this kit I couldn't afford to go with a bigger scale. Then the finances became available for the 1/96 build. I just can't scrap this one, I have some time into it and it is what it is. I don't expect any awards for building it. Its been a learning process and that's what I really needed.

I appreciate the comments, so please keep them coming and we'll see where this one will finish. One last thing, the hull is staying as is, its not worth the effort to change it one bit.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:39 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
Here's a funny story about the Lindy Fletcher I read a while back. It seems one guy hit reverse hard maybe to avoid hitting something. Well, he warned everyone not to go to fast in reverse. He said he had the first Fletcher Class Submarine!!!!!!
Old Mar 11, 2015, 01:08 PM
United States, RI
Joined Sep 2012
439 Posts
40mm Ammo Racks

Most WW-II USN ships used two different type ammo racks. There were stamped and bent individual sheet metal ammo racks that held one clip of ammo in each. Then there were the more common type racks with elongated slots cut to hold one clip of 40mm ammo.