Old Today, 03:06 AM
Find More Posts by raybaines
Captain Kangaroo
Australia, QLD, Headington Hill
Joined May 2009
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
Well, Ray, those are beyond handsome; are downright gorgeous. Would have enjoyed being amongst that activity.

Perhaps it's just the angles but the Spitfire seems so elegant amongst them. Must be an accurate outline from the designer.
The Spitfire was a wonderful aeroplane.
The Taylor plan was a delight and made this difficult airframe a straightforward build !!
I feel that his designs have been overlooked today thanks to the ARF line of thought .... Shame really as they would be perfect for electric conversion.

Ray.
raybaines is online now Find More Posts by raybaines
Old Today, 07:58 AM
Find More Posts by Kaikokid
New Zealand, Northland, Kaikohe
Joined Aug 2011
3,184 Posts
I think I've worked out where they went wrong with the tail/rudder on the new Durafly P40n.
Name: Durafly.PNG
Views: 4
Size: 727.8 KB
Description:
Right from the start people on RC groups complained about the oversized tail stabilizer. And it's true. It doesn't look right. People said there was no need for a over size tail. Stuart said it was only a pre-production model.
Well as far as I can see nothings been done about it and here is why I think they couldn't change it.
Name: Durafly 2.PNG
Views: 7
Size: 994.2 KB
Description: Name: P-40N_Elevator_and_Rudder.jpg
Views: 7
Size: 339.5 KB
Description:
I think they 'cut' the rudder off where the real rudder starts at the bottom. The main 'hinge' line is further forward ( it's not but it is - if that makes any sense ). This means that the rudder is in fact under sized and in order to make the top part look right it comes out at the wrong place as well. This has the effect of making the stabilizer not only too big but more importantly the wrong shape.
This is something both Stuart and no doubt Tom Hunt would have looked very closely at I'm sure. But ... once the mould has be made they don't seem to be able to change much if anything. Next time maybe ?
I hope no one gets ratty with me for pointing this out. You notice I post it here and not there. We're all battle hardened veterans here and can take it on the chin. I hope.
The other thing is ... it's so easy to get something like that wrong. With our ( dad and self ) limited experience with modelling planes we've found this time and time again. One small error and it can have major effects elsewhere. The mistake just keeps on following you through and sometimes you just can't fix it no matter how much you might want to.
Notice how big those tail fin flash decals end up getting. It just goes on and on. ( like me )

Brent.
Kaikokid is offline Find More Posts by Kaikokid
Old Today, 08:11 AM
Find More Posts by gnats82
Coy, peruser of worlds
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
5,372 Posts
Kk - post #9543

I'll be examining that very thing and changing it before even assembling the airplane.

The vertical fin leading edge meets the top of the stab too far forward, thus the fin is has too much area and the rudder is too full in outline also.

Seems this will be a simple modification, sectioning a sliver out of the fin and regluing and then a mild reshape of the rudder. We'll see...

Try as they will, Andy Chen got so much correct on our 1700mm one that others have their work cut out for them to equal the
look.

Following your observation more closely, I agree with what you've pointed out. The hinge line needs to go further forward with that area of the fin ruduced and added to the hinge line portion of the rudder, simply as I see it.

Ongoing, I'm not quite onto why the tail wheel is located so far rearward from scale on the new Durafly P-40N. May have something to do with more ground handling stability but coupled with other off-outlines in the rear, it almost looks like the tail of a different airplane was grafted on...

In remembering my conversation with Scott some months ago, he pointed out that the work up to the production of the 1.7 m version was well under way when he took on a post there. I can't help but wonder if Stuart met the 1.1m version the same way. I know he's taken it 'under his wing', so to say, put there's just a small bit in my mind that's unsure about that.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Today at 01:50 PM. Reason: added content...