HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2014, 01:29 PM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
good fast power system,

just enuph pull out hover but good vertical speed and only uses 32a
xore 12/7 gas
http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-x2820-800kv.html- does not get hot...

again from budy rc ; simon k flashed 40a spider esc- rad throttle response, works out of box,cheep. no bec so you have to use an external one but you get to use a 6v bec...

this set up with 300g 4s 2700 gets me 6:45 and 3.78v

on pop top...

as for pop top commands for flat spin atitude, from full power up line with left aileron to build momentum, then left stick 4:00 o'clock and right stick 10;00 o'clock. it is not alwase the same though. i wold like to hear others comands as well.

i would be hesitant to add much more weight in batteries because pull out would suffer and harrier would become slightly less stable.
mattnat is offline Find More Posts by mattnat
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2014, 04:20 PM
3D? I only got two thumbs!
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnat View Post
on pop top...

as for pop top commands for flat spin atitude, from full power up line with left aileron to build momentum, then left stick 4:00 o'clock and right stick 10;00 o'clock. it is not alwase the same though. i wold like to hear others comands as well.
Thanks, I'll give that a try. I've been cutting the throttle entirely and using more elevator, maybe that's my problem.
AeroKen is offline Find More Posts by AeroKen
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:34 PM
United States, NC, Smithfield
Joined Jul 2012
219 Posts
Pop tops are all timing...you do want to ease back on the throttle after you snap into the entry.

Wamsy's tutorial:
Pop-Tops with Slow-Motion (2 min 22 sec)
Brush Hog is offline Find More Posts by Brush Hog
Old Jul 01, 2014, 06:55 PM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
946 Posts
I'm doing basically that, I must just be a little off on something. As soon as the wind cooperates I'll burn some electrons sorting it out.
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:04 PM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
594 Posts
I always got 4+ rotations in cranks with the baby Laser and 2-3 in PopTops. Now, the 60" Laser will do the same but they seem more impressive. I think the PT's are nicer with the 60"s. Good luck figuring it out.....you'll be hooked when you do!
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Jul 01, 2014, 07:44 PM
Joined Nov 2013
8 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy Ackerman View Post
I'm looking at getting one of the 48" Laser's in yellow and blue. However the power system is out of stock. What are some good options for motor/ESC and prop.

I'm a sport flying looking for a good flight time of at least 7 min's, longer is better. I would probably run 4cell and as large as I could stuff in it.

Thanks
hacker a30-14l with 50-55 hacker esc or i am running a torque 820 with an electrifly 45 amp speed controller. For prop run from 12x6-14x7
13x6.5 is probably yer best bet. I run glaciers 2600 4s batteries and i get 7-8 mins sport flying and 5-6 mins hardcore 3d. Its a great plane and fly insanely well. You will not regret it.
Ben VW
BenBen123 is offline Find More Posts by BenBen123
Old Jul 03, 2014, 10:29 PM
United States, CA, Redding
Joined Feb 2011
1,038 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroKen View Post
I'm doing basically that, I must just be a little off on something. As soon as the wind cooperates I'll burn some electrons sorting it out.
What I have found with pop tops is you need full elevator and full rudder but not full ailerons. I am talking 3D throws. If you have your dual rates setup try leaving the elevator and rudder on full throw and less on the ailerons. Full power and slam the sticks into the corners as soon as the transition from level to vertical is achieved. Bamm nice upright flat spin. You can do the same thing on full throws but you cannot (IME) stick the right stick into the corner. It would need to go at say 1 pm instead of the corner.
Mr Big Head is online now Find More Posts by Mr Big Head
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:11 AM
United States, MA
Joined Jul 2012
946 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big Head View Post
What I have found with pop tops is you need full elevator and full rudder but not full ailerons. I am talking 3D throws. If you have your dual rates setup try leaving the elevator and rudder on full throw and less on the ailerons. Full power and slam the sticks into the corners as soon as the transition from level to vertical is achieved. Bamm nice upright flat spin. You can do the same thing on full throws but you cannot (IME) stick the right stick into the corner. It would need to go at say 1 pm instead of the corner.
I haven't had a chance to get out and try it since, but I have played around on the simulator and I think that's what I was doing wrong - too much aileron. With luck the wind will cooperate on Sunday and I'll get to try it for real.
Old Jul 04, 2014, 09:21 AM
Pro Bro #1963
Joined Mar 2004
594 Posts
I run tripple rates. When doing PT's and Crankshafts I use max elev., 3D rate ail and rudder. If you try and use too much rudder or aileron they will act like airbrakes and kill all momentum resulting in poor rotation.
flygilmore is offline Find More Posts by flygilmore
Old Jul 05, 2014, 10:16 AM
NH
Joined May 2010
162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattnat View Post
good fast power system,

just enuph pull out hover but good vertical speed and only uses 32a
xore 12/7 gas
http://www.buddyrc.com/sunnysky-x2820-800kv.html- does not get hot...

again from budy rc ; simon k flashed 40a spider esc- rad throttle response, works out of box,cheep. no bec so you have to use an external one but you get to use a 6v bec...

this set up with 300g 4s 2700 gets me 6:45 and 3.78v

on pop top...

i would be hesitant to add much more weight in batteries because pull out would suffer and harrier would become slightly less stable.
Does this motor fit in the preinstalled blind nuts? or did you have to make your own new holes?
fly247 is offline Find More Posts by fly247
Old Jul 06, 2014, 08:23 AM
United States, NC, Asheville
Joined Sep 2012
164 Posts
same spacing as factory bind nuts.

matt
mattnat is offline Find More Posts by mattnat