Find More Posts by Sundancer
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry D View Post
Hi George.

Some brief notes on my fourth and final entry in your build off, my 1941 Kerswap, are at http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2312086.

Once again, I would like to sincerely thank you for doing this build off. I know if it weren't for that, those models would still be sitting under my bench gathering dust. Instead, I've now finished and flown four of the nicest models I've ever had. Between those and the fine weather last flying season, it turned out to be the best one ever for me.

My previous unfinished model backlog having now (almost) been cleared, I can start on another one. Already I have a good head start on that, with four more models now on the bench in various stages of completion. Oh dear.

All the best to you and everyone else for next year and many more to come.

And thanks to you Harry for your enthusiastic participation; I have really enjoyed your retrospective build logs and found them instructive too. Your four models illustrate exactly the result that I hope this build off would achieve - more models in the air and less part completed projects sadly lurking in the workshop and making us feel guilty every time we go in there! Don't worry about the new unfinished ones, we can always run another build off!! In fact we will have to do as I so conspicuously failed to make any significant progress with the Avian and need another kick up the bum on this one!
Sundancer is offline Find More Posts by Sundancer
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 28, 2014, 12:40 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmcgraw View Post
I've had two days of nearly constant rain here in Mobile, so it's been a great excuse not to go anywhere and just work on the Eaglet. I think I see the finish line in sight.

One can always "find something else" to add or correct; I'm trying to separate out those things that don't make up the essential model, and can be added anytime.
Your long running Eaglet saga has been an example to us all of "stickability" cp, especially when, unhappy with the result, you ditched an almost complete airframe and started again. Go for it, nearly there now and it is going to be a lovely model. I salute your fortitude!!
Old Dec 30, 2014, 09:22 AM
Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
3,085 Posts
Yes, the last minute...still working on model.
It's all covered in Doculam.
The fuse is being covered with light silk span, but the Doculam has a few wrinkles that are causing problems. For a small model, 2.9 oz fuse, the extra silk span is almost 3/4 oz extra weight, so.... might just have to leave the finish off.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:19 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,639 Posts
Build off closes at MIDNIGHT (local time)

OK guys, for those (at least three!) dashing to finish, to join the sixteen completed entries and qualify for inclusion in the poll thread which I will set up tomorrow, you need to have posted a photo showing the completed model by midnight, your time. I'm rooting for you!
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:53 PM
Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Canada, ON, Hamilton
Joined Oct 2005
3,085 Posts
Cessna complete, less trim

Cessna was covered with Doculam.
Silk span was added (almost 3/4 oz) to the fuse and top of the wing. In hind sight I should have just painted the Doculam.
JohnAV8R is online now Find More Posts by JohnAV8R
Old Dec 31, 2014, 04:55 PM
Find More Posts by slam555
United States, MO, Stockton
Joined Oct 2013
950 Posts
cessna

looks good, can u get it painted by midnight
slam555 is offline Find More Posts by slam555
Old Dec 31, 2014, 07:06 PM
Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Experienced Balsa Mangler
United States, AL, Tillmans Corner
Joined Oct 2012
903 Posts
Shereshaw Eaglet -- DONE!

OK, done enough to say it's done for this build-off. I've posted a "beauty shot" in my log.
cpmcgraw is offline Find More Posts by cpmcgraw
Old Jan 01, 2015, 04:35 AM
South-west France
Joined Sep 2007
5,639 Posts
Well, that's it folks, this build off is closed.

The poll thread for you to vote for your favourites will be open later today (January 1st), please read the voting instructions in post # 1 of the poll thread BEFORE voting, you are allowed to vote for three entries, but MUST register all three votes at one time, the system will not allow you to vote on more than one visit.

Congratulations to cpmcgraw, SAslinky and JohnAV8R who managed to push brinkmanship to the limit by coming up with photos of models near enugh finished to qualify for the poll literally hours before the close. Pretty spectacular considering all he models had been in some stage of completion 12 months earlier!! I salute their determination if not their time management!