HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Apr 17, 2014, 10:11 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
Discussion
Looking for a Good F-22

Hey Guys,

I did a quick google search to look for some RC F-22 Raptors, the limited results that were returned were from companies I didn't recognize.

I'm looking for a good sized F-22, from a good company, and that preferably is ARF, PNP, RFR, or RTF. As well as being a well made product.(wish Horizon would make one)

If you guys have any suggestions, post them up!

Much Appreciated-
Mark
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:20 AM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
I'm also curious, several of the planes listed don't have rudder. They just have fixed vertical stabilizers.

Any reason for this, or are they just not necessary or beneficial for our purposes?
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 11:25 AM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
926 Posts
...

rudders are good for slow maneuver, taking off and landing ...


I don't know about good size but
freewings 64mm edf f-22 should be a good jet from a well known company ...


:-)


LX f-22 is a bigger jet (photo) with rudders ...
but many do not like the unreliable stock electronics
SPECS
- Wingspan: 1046mm (41.2 in)
- Length: 1513mm (60 in)
- Flying Weight: 2100g (74 oz)

.

.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Last edited by flylow2011; Apr 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:58 PM
Comin' in HOT!
tdford's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,676 Posts
Usually the smaller <70mm jets don't have rudders. The larger ones, dual 70's and 90's usually do. I've never needed them on my 70-64mm jets.

Good size would be either the dual 70mm from LX Models, or the 90mm from Taft. I've never heard anything good about the 90mm Taft, but I'm sure someone might pipe in here.

I almost got the twin 70mm from LX. But from reading the jet's thread I ended up not going with it. I think it flys absolutely great if it is setup well (from what I've heard). But there are a few considerations:
- buy kit and add own electronics
- beef up wing/fuse with carbon spars
- consider alternative landing gear due to them being plastic

But, it does have thrust vectoring and operational flaps and slats...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nana+hobbi+f22


I ended up going with Freewings 64mm F22. Small size, perfect for hand launch and park flying. But fast enough to have a blast with: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143368
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
Cool thanks for the tips Flyflow,

For some reason, I don't feel as connected without rudder, it seems that i always give some rudder in turns, rolls, etc. while flying. It wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to fly without it I suppose.

I have checked out both of those, I do like the FreeWing. It seems like a pretty good deal as the PNP version. I don't know too much about their company, and their retailer MotionRC. I guess I just get nervous about buying items from companies I don't know. Fear of the unknown so to speak.
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:06 PM
Comin' in HOT!
tdford's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,676 Posts
Freewing IMO is the BEST (foam) edf manufacturer at the moment. And you will not find one person that has a problem with MotionRC, I guaranmacancheese that
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by tdford; Apr 17, 2014 at 02:15 PM. Reason: :)
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:09 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Usually the smaller <70mm jets don't have rudders. The larger ones, dual 70's and 90's usually do. I've never needed them on my 70-64mm jets.

Good size would be either the dual 70mm from LX Models, or the 90mm from Taft. I've never heard anything good about the 90mm Taft, but I'm sure someone might pipe in here.

I almost got the twin 70mm from LX. But from reading the jet's thread I ended up not going with it. I think it flys absolutely great if it is setup well (from what I've heard). But there are a few considerations:
- buy kit and add own electronics
- beef up wing/fuse with carbon spars
- consider alternative landing gear due to them being plastic

But, it does have thrust vectoring and operational flaps and slats...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...nana+hobbi+f22


I ended up going with Freewings 64mm F22. Small size, perfect for hand launch and park flying. But fast enough to have a blast with: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2143368
Thanks for the Reply Tdford,

I don't need all the fancy thrust vectoring, or even flaps. Just a simple 4 channel jet that's large enough to combat light winds, and let me see my orientation clearly against the sky.

Ideally I'd like a PNP version, that has good servos, ESC and motor. That way I can just drop a reciever and battery in and go fly.

The freewing would have been a highly probable sale to me, it's just that no rudder bugs me a bit. Maybe I should just let it go. lol
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:18 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
Oh one other thing ford,

I saw in your thread about the Freewing F-22 that you immediately swapped out the stock motor and fan.

Do you feel that the stock system will perform well enough to fly this plane for a while without problems?
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:27 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
926 Posts
...

the best bet is, as many would say, buying
the air frame and use your own electronics ...



.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 01:38 PM
Comin' in HOT!
tdford's Avatar
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Dec 2012
1,676 Posts
Mark,
I did that as a preference rather then a need. I flew the stock 4s system in my Stinger64 when I had it and had no issues. That system is also used on the twin 64mm A-10 which people say fly's it very well - speed and scale.

For $150 (shipped) the F22 is a great PNP. That LX is going to take closer to triple to get it off the ground and if you don't want the extras like retracts/flaps/etc. then probably not worth your while. The 64mm F22 when in the air looks close in size to my 70mm F35. So size is not too bad. And you'll forget about ruders when you fly these things. I added some to my F18 and rarely used them. For prop jobs I use rudder a decent amount, for jets I don't.
tdford is offline Find More Posts by tdford
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Freewing 64mm F-22 Raptor
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Mark,
I did that as a preference rather then a need. I flew the stock 4s system in my Stinger64 when I had it and had no issues. That system is also used on the twin 64mm A-10 which people say fly's it very well - speed and scale.

For $150 (shipped) the F22 is a great PNP. That LX is going to take closer to triple to get it off the ground and if you don't want the extras like retracts/flaps/etc. then probably not worth your while. The 64mm F22 when in the air looks close in size to my 70mm F35. So size is not too bad. And you'll forget about ruders when you fly these things. I added some to my F18 and rarely used them. For prop jobs I use rudder a decent amount, for jets I don't.
Thanks ford, I appreciate the info!

I saw your video and the plane does appear to have decent size. When I said "good size" I was just trying to avoid recommendations that might fall into the Micro-park class.

I assume that you kept the stock servos? If those are good, and the power system is well enough as is, this may be my go to plane. It certainly does look good, I'll say that. I appreciate the info regarding freewing, and MotionRc. That gives me a little more confidence.

I am toying around with the idea of putting my EFLR310013 SAFE reciever in it, and seeing how that works out, would be awesome to have training modes in a jet if it works, if it doesn't I have an AR600 that needs a plane as well.
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 02:13 PM
Registered User
Joined Nov 2011
926 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdford View Post
Mark,
I did that as a preference rather then a need. I flew the stock 4s system in my Stinger64 when I had it and had no issues. That system is also used on the twin 64mm A-10 which people say fly's it very well - speed and scale.

For $150 (shipped) the F22 is a great PNP. That LX is going to take closer to triple to get it off the ground and if you don't want the extras like retracts/flaps/etc. then probably not worth your while. The 64mm F22 when in the air looks close in size to my 70mm F35. So size is not too bad. And you'll forget about ruders when you fly these things. I added some to my F18 and rarely used them. For prop jobs I use rudder a decent amount, for jets I don't.

for hand launching and fast jet ... what is
the point of having rudders?
just to make it heavier ??? that is all???

oh yeah, maybe a hammerhead or two :-)

.
flylow2011 is offline Find More Posts by flylow2011
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2014, 06:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Apr 2014
9 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylow2011 View Post
for hand launching and fast jet ... what is
the point of having rudders?
just to make it heavier ??? that is all???

oh yeah, maybe a hammerhead or two :-)

.
I guess some of it has to do with scale functionality too, "the real thing has rudders". But I guess I shouldn't pay to much attention to that, as long as it flies well I'm happy.
Mark.M is online now Find More Posts by Mark.M
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion F-15 survives for another year! NEW GEAR LOOKS GOOD sherlockshah Jet Turbines 3 Feb 15, 2014 10:40 PM
Wanted Looking to buy F-22 Raptor alumaman Aircraft - Fuel - Jets (FS/W) 0 Feb 02, 2014 03:36 AM
Discussion Looking for an F-16 and F-15 suggestions Bogietrim Foamy EDFs 5 Oct 16, 2013 09:57 AM
Wanted Looking for 4 good 200oz range servos for 33% bird mikes68charger Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 0 Sep 30, 2013 01:09 PM