HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 10, 2014, 11:35 AM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Discussion
nCPX board in mCPX?

My mCPX started acting erratically during flight after a hard landing…I think I blew the gyro or something because it just won't fly without being all twitchy and weird(unflyable) I have a brand new board from an nCPX that a buddy gave me and I'm wondering if they are interchangeable? can I figure out a mount and plug the motors and servos in a fly away?
danman_83 is offline Find More Posts by danman_83
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 10, 2014, 09:35 PM
Joined Jul 2010
123 Posts
I wouldn't chance it. The power put through the Mcpx is much higher so you'll likely burn the board up right away.
Skiiermike is online now Find More Posts by Skiiermike
Old Apr 11, 2014, 12:20 PM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,507 Posts
Send old board to Meag's micros and get it going again. Save Nano board you may need it one day. Nano CP-X will smoke the Mcp-X. Mcp-x is a fine heli but Nano is more active.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Apr 13, 2014, 10:40 AM
24 yrs. of Aircraft flying
United States, GA, Rockmart
Joined Oct 2004
5,488 Posts
The esc's in the nano's board I am sure wouldn't handle the larger motor of the MCPX, I agree with others send it in for repair if you really have a issue.
No clue how long you been flying but when your plugging in the battery are you making sure the heli is still, not moving it at all while its booting up? cause if you do move it it can fly really bad, Ask me how I know, my heli looked drunk if the gyros are not totally still during initiation
epoweredrc is offline Find More Posts by epoweredrc
Old Apr 16, 2014, 03:09 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
Yeah, I'm keeping it still. What it does is when i apply power/collective, the left front servo starts migrating down until it bottoms out. When i release power, it will twitch back suddenly to where it is supposed to go. the rear servo will do the same sometimes, and get stuck causing a crash(if I were airborne which I'm not since the first time it happened). If i continue to apply power even though the servo is stuck down there, it drains so much power that the motor slows and the lights start blinking from the low voltage cutoff system.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,488 Posts
have you moved the servo all way from bottom to top by hand? with no power applied? don't know where you fly but sometimes dirt can get in the gears and make them not do right

maybe unplug that one servo and plug a good one into it, see if it does the same, if so then you know its the board not the servo.

I used to be a Tech at a Hobbytown, i had to think of ways to est all this kinda things
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:29 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
i'll give that a whirl, good idea!
Old Apr 16, 2014, 07:58 PM
Ncpx, Super CP, 130x, NQX
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
351 Posts
I agree with epoweredrc, the servos can get dirty and they will get twitchy and not work correct. You can unscrew the motor and servo from the board (4 tiny sscrews on the back of the board) and use a q-tip and rubbing alcohol to clean the black and silver strips on the board behind the servo. Also the little contactor on the servo arm can get dirty so make sure and clean that as well. I don't know all the technical terms for the parts yet sorry I clean mine this way usually once a month or so and it works great.
If your still having issues then it's probably the 3 in 1 and as mentioned you can send it to megas micros and have it fixed for 25 bucks.
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly
Old Apr 16, 2014, 08:55 PM
Joined Feb 2012
16 Posts
so I pulled out both motors and powered the board and tested the servos. I switched them all around into different positions and then bench tested. at 0 throttle, all the servos act perfectly, I have full travel in all directions, no slipping, no twitching. As I increase collective(the motor is unplugged) two of the servos start to react slightly odd. Sometimes they will hold an input after it is given and the stick is moved to neutral(at 40% collective) but at this point if you give them another input, they will generally respond. As the collective increases towards 100, the servos start locking up in an inputted position, and eventually all three will be completely locked in place and will no longer respond to any tx inputs until the collective is lowered again and then they will instantly snap into their resting positions and I will have normal control over them again. I can't see how this could be anything else but the board. The servos have never been cleaned, but I did manually spin them around and they all act fine, no sticking or anything.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 11:53 PM
Ncpx, Super CP, 130x, NQX
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Dec 2013
351 Posts
It does sound like a board issue, but if it were me I'd at least try cleaning servos quick b4 investing in a new board or sending it off for repair. A quick method of cleaning them that I use sometimes is to just soak the q-tip in rubbing alcohol then let it drip into each servo then turn it on and move the sticks around to clear any grime that might be blocking the signal. I've heard of using deoxit the same way as well but rubbing alcohol works fine and is cheaper.

I'm doing a complete rebuild on one of my Nanos here's a pic of the inside one of the old servos how dirty they get. Those strips should be silver and black you can see there both black almost lol.
yours truly is offline Find More Posts by yours truly
Last edited by yours truly; Apr 17, 2014 at 12:02 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 12:45 AM
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
5,507 Posts
Most Drug stores carry behind counyer 91% alky. Less water and better for cleaning servo pads. From what you say the servos are very dirty or bad board. My bet is board is bad.
dankar04 is offline Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Yesterday, 03:18 PM
Joined Oct 2004
5,488 Posts
Well your board might just be messed up then, I have beat my MCPX'2 to death and keep ticking but never know.
that servo looks dirty wonder what mine would look like, i have never taken one apart to clean it, I just spray de oxit in the rail and work the servo and keep going, I only spray them when they get to jumping with me, chattering