Old Oct 13, 2013, 05:24 PM
Fairly Stable
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Question
Servo attachment on foamies?

Hey all,
The last time I flew an RC glider was about 20 years ago, and the plane was a Gentle Lady. Last year I returned to RC things with a scratchbuilt quadcopter which has been fun.

So I just received a Bixler 2 ARF (the gentle lady educated me and broke me of building with balsa ever again ) and I have a question. How are the factory servos attached to the fuselage and wings? Is it with that glue they supply?

Once assembled, the rudder and elevator servo horns are not centered as they should be on the servo. Each is off by about 15-20 degrees, and my radio doesn't have enough trim to fix it. So to fix each, I have to remove the servo, adjust each horn, then reattach. Just need to know how to reattach.
SatelliteBiker is offline Find More Posts by SatelliteBiker
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2013, 06:38 PM
USA, FL, Homestead
Joined Jul 2010
134 Posts
You can unscrew the horn from the servo and recenter manually? Once the servo is energized it will center itself. Unscrew it then move the horn where you want it then redo it,
miamiracer305 is offline Find More Posts by miamiracer305
Old Oct 13, 2013, 07:55 PM
Fairly Stable
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
That's the wrinkle with this. The servos are mounted upside-down so there's no direct access to the screw. Once powered on, their neutral position is off by the ~10 degrees.
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:56 PM
AMA 125691
Jacksonville Florida
Joined Jul 2002
2,241 Posts
The factories usually glue the servos in with some type of sealant or caulk. I use ordinary silicone. Works fine and the servo is still removable even after dry by cutting through the silicone with an exacto knife. Some people prefer to wrap the servo with masking tape before gluing just to help with removal when needed.
wmcneal is offline Find More Posts by wmcneal
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:27 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,298 Posts
I wouldn't advise using regular caulking. It tends to corrode electronics.
There is electronics safe versions of it.

Another way is the tape hot glue method. Wrap the servo in tape, then hot glue in. If you need to remove the servo, just cut the tape.

Anywho, on the Bix2 you can try this trick with your servo arms. Use a thin phillips screw driver and eye ball the location of servo arm screw. Stick the screwdriver through the foam and to the screw. Back off the screw and use a pair of forceps to remove it. Then pop the arm off, center it, and use the forceps to position the screw and reinstall it. That way you just have a pair of tiny holes and don't have to tear apart the fuselage to access the servos. A little hot water (near boiling) will seal up the holes in the foam, if poured over them.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Oct 16, 2013, 09:46 PM
Heli's rule!
Midvale, Utah, USA
Joined Mar 2005
8,444 Posts
I was going to post just what Glacier Girl did... i have had plenty of screwdriver size holes in my planes.

For the caulk, if it smells like vinigar, DONT use it around electronics, otherwise, its ok.

basicaly, there are two kinds. Acid/acetoxy cure (bad) and neutral cure (good).

G.E. silicon I is acid cure
G.E. silicon II is neutral cure
dacaur is offline Find More Posts by dacaur
Old Oct 17, 2013, 09:01 AM
Fairly Stable
Joined Mar 2012
56 Posts
Thanks, those are some really good tips. Especially the tape-wrapped servos -- that will come in handy with a KK2 singlecopter I'm putting together.