HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:14 PM
Joined Jan 2013
83 Posts
Discussion
Good glue on foam (no kicker)

HI, I bought some zap-o foam safe CA from hobbyzone for fixing a large crack in the fuselage of my mini super cub. However i did not realise that I needed a kicker to activate it as it said nothing about it on the hobbyzone website. Anyway I decided to try it out on some scrap foam. The glue was verry week after 48 hours without the kicker.

I need some foamsafe glue that does not need a kicker to cure properley. With good gap filling propertys. Any suggestions?

Thanks, David.
David97 is offline Find More Posts by David97
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 19, 2013, 07:48 AM
Joined Aug 2012
387 Posts
I use white Gorilla Glue.

Put the glue on both parts you wish to join then just spritz a little water on there to activate it. The glue will expand like crazy as it cures, so it is great for filling cracks or chunks out of wing tips.

I usually use a hobby knife to cut away the expanded glue while it is still firm but not 100% cured, or you can also push the soft foam into shape if needed. Once the Glue is 100% cured is is fairly hard but you can cut away the excess or just use sand paper to shape it.

If I am gluing a fuse or wing back together, I'll usually be generous with the amount of glue I use then use packing tape to bind the parts together while it cures. When done I just peel away the tape and sand or trim the glue as needed.

It takes paint really well for touch ups, but make sure you get the white version of the glue and not the brown.
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Old Mar 19, 2013, 11:56 PM
Joined Jan 2013
83 Posts
Ok, thanks. Does the glue need alot of water coverage to activate it, or do I just need to get a little exposed bit and the rest will follow?
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:00 PM
United States, IN, Bloomington
Joined Jan 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David97 View Post
Ok, thanks. Does the glue need alot of water coverage to activate it, or do I just need to get a little exposed bit and the rest will follow?
I also use Gorillla white glue fairly often and have quit spritzing w/ water seems like it takes a little bit longer to activate/dry but it still works great. You can also use some painters tape (Blue tape) to "hold" the expansion to the shape you want or contain the glue in a seam.

Another great foam glue is Beacon brand Foam-Tac.

I use CA very rarely anymore its just not that great for what I do.
Lumpy05 is offline Find More Posts by Lumpy05
Old Mar 25, 2013, 11:56 AM
United States, ID, Burley
Joined Mar 2012
3,279 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN_MACHINE View Post
I use white Gorilla Glue.

Put the glue on both parts you wish to join then just spritz a little water on there to activate it. The glue will expand like crazy as it cures, so it is great for filling cracks or chunks out of wing tips.

I usually use a hobby knife to cut away the expanded glue while it is still firm but not 100% cured, or you can also push the soft foam into shape if needed. Once the Glue is 100% cured is is fairly hard but you can cut away the excess or just use sand paper to shape it.

If I am gluing a fuse or wing back together, I'll usually be generous with the amount of glue I use then use packing tape to bind the parts together while it cures. When done I just peel away the tape and sand or trim the glue as needed.

It takes paint really well for touch ups, but make sure you get the white version of the glue and not the brown.
love the stuff ! It drys light as foam, can be sanded, and shaped, fills gaps, I use tape over the area to keep it from swelling out where i dont want it
fastfwd is offline Find More Posts by fastfwd
Old Apr 04, 2013, 05:58 AM
Joined Aug 2012
387 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by David97 View Post
I just expose a tiny bit of water to the glue.

I glued together a fuse last summer at the field, it was about 30C and 80% humidity and the glue didn't need any water. In fact, in the glue cured much faster than I expected and within 20-25 mins I was back in the air.

Cure times in my workshop are longer, and sometimes the glue looks like nothing is happening at all, just leave it a bit and when you come back you will be surprised.
GREEN_MACHINE is offline Find More Posts by GREEN_MACHINE
Old Apr 08, 2013, 05:02 AM
Joined Jan 2013
83 Posts
Thanks everyone, my plane is now back in the air! with gorrila glue
Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:03 PM
crash pilot extraordinaire
United States, OH, Napoleon
Joined Dec 2012
52 Posts
I use a hot glue gun set on low setting. works excellent for me!
tim townsend is offline Find More Posts by tim townsend
Old May 03, 2013, 07:42 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,097 Posts
I just bought this ZAP CA medium, will I need 'kicker'? I'm using EPO foam to glue together.
White gorilla adhesive takes too long to mend out in the field for repairs for me.

http://www.rcdude.com/servlet/the-10...m--dsh-/Detail
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Nov 24, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old May 03, 2013, 10:12 PM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,423 Posts
Right off there site: Use Zip kicker to accelerate cure time.

Thats about as fast as it goes, or get 5-6 min epoxy.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 03, 2013, 10:16 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,097 Posts
....but it says "to accelerate" to 7-10sec, without accelerator its 20sec?....true?
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Old May 04, 2013, 12:05 AM
“Do it Right The First Time!”
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
4,423 Posts
I think you should re-read it, it says: Allows approximately 7 to 10 seconds for part positioning and average of 20 seconds for curing.

Works on oily surfaces. Use Zip kicker to accelerate cure time.
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old May 05, 2013, 12:35 AM
white lake michigan
Joined Oct 2004
3,650 Posts
Anything you need time to position I would not use kicker. The more water you use on gorilla the weaker the glue will be. It turns it into a foam. I use epoxy with a thin wire to repair foamies it's a bit heavier but you have the work time toget it taped and positioned. I take a thin wire with epoxy on it to to get way up into an area where when you pull it open you cannot get a brush or anything into without snapping the foam break area apart. I then clean the outside surface with denatured alcohol then tape the area till dry. If the gap is too big to fill cut the area out as straight as possible then add new foam.
unclecrash is offline Find More Posts by unclecrash
Last edited by unclecrash; May 05, 2013 at 12:42 AM.
Old May 05, 2013, 10:51 AM
Don't cut the Yellow Wire
Ridgewood ,NJ
Joined Jan 2000
3,449 Posts
put the foamsafe CA on one side and lightly dust some baking soda on the other piece to be glued, then put them together ......baking soda works like Kicker....

On the small foamies I use Foamtac....its flexible and that goes a long way while learning to fly....
dr.E is online now Find More Posts by dr.E