HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:36 PM
Registered User
Kipling's Avatar
United States, CA, Isla Vista
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Discussion
Help with Newbie Connection question please!

Hi, can someone answer this question please? I purchased a used Slow Stick and it has a Dean (I believe) connector. My Thunder battery has a connector as shown in the pic.

Can someone please tell me what connector I need and where to get it? Thanks!!
Kipling is offline Find More Posts by Kipling
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:57 PM
Registered User
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,549 Posts
Umm... a female Dean's? You'll find that you have to choose a standard connector for yourself, and convert just about everything you buy to that standard, be it Dean's, XT60, whatever. Just choose one, get plenty of spares, and learn to solder them.
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 09:59 PM
rrg
Registered User
rrg's Avatar
USA, KY, Edgewood
Joined Dec 2007
1,235 Posts
You might be able to find that at your LHS. If it were me i would solder new connectors on. Micro on your plane to match the battery. Or, full size deans on your battery. You might want to think about future planes and keep a common plug......
rrg is offline Find More Posts by rrg
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:40 PM
Registered User
R Zielinski's Avatar
USA, NH, Madbury
Joined Dec 2007
166 Posts
As rrg says, this is a job for your local hobby store. If you don't have one locally, here's the simplest solution from a reliable vendor that will ship to you VERY quickly for $2 shipping. (I'm sure you're anxious to get that new plane in the air).

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh-Plug/Detail

Of course, the more "elegant" solution is to actually solder the plug you need onto your battery or plane, so you won't need the adapter with its extra weight and unnecessarily long wire. HeadsUp carries those too.

Your little battery plug is JST, meant for low amperage setups on lightweight "micro" planes. Your ESC plug is a Dean's connector, the most commonly used connector of them all, but needless weight on planes under 8-12 oz.

There are several threads you can search on this site about "favorite" or "best" connectors. It's true that you want to chose one style and commit to it, so that you won't need a bunch of fussy adapters or multiple setups for different planes. Personally, I hate soldering, so I've been very happy with Anderson Power Pole connectors (AKA Sermos). These can be soldered, but you want to invest in the crimper which allows you to quickly install these connectors on anything without soldering. They can be modified (trim off the back end) to save weight when needed. The other reason I like them is that they are MUCH easier to connect and disconnect than Dean's, especially in tight quarters (most battery compartments are cramped) and ESPECIALLY if you have arthritis. Dean's can be quite stubborn, and when you muscle them apart, it's very easy to damage your plane. People modify them to get a better grip. I hate Deans. Even if you solder the Andersons to save $40 on the crimper, they're easier to solder than Deans. For micro/indoor flyer stuff, you'll want the JST's.

Either invest $50 here: http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...pole-sets.html
on some Anderson Power Poles and the crimper OR invest your future time and frustration in Dean's or JST's or EC3's or others.
R Zielinski is offline Find More Posts by R Zielinski
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:47 PM
Registered User
Kipling's Avatar
United States, CA, Isla Vista
Joined Dec 2012
27 Posts
Excellent. Thanks all. So, the adapter you link below calls one side "T-Plug" ... that's the same as a Dean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Zielinski View Post
As rrg says, this is a job for your local hobby store. If you don't have one locally, here's the simplest solution from a reliable vendor that will ship to you VERY quickly for $2 shipping. (I'm sure you're anxious to get that new plane in the air).

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...sh-Plug/Detail

Of course, the more "elegant" solution is to actually solder the plug you need onto your battery or plane, so you won't need the adapter with its extra weight and unnecessarily long wire. HeadsUp carries those too.

Your little battery plug is JST, meant for low amperage setups on lightweight "micro" planes. Your ESC plug is a Dean's connector, the most commonly used connector of them all, but needless weight on planes under 8-12 oz.

There are several threads you can search on this site about "favorite" or "best" connectors. It's true that you want to chose one style and commit to it, so that you won't need a bunch of fussy adapters or multiple setups for different planes. Personally, I hate soldering, so I've been very happy with Anderson Power Pole connectors (AKA Sermos). These can be soldered, but you want to invest in the crimper which allows you to quickly install these connectors on anything without soldering. They can be modified (trim off the back end) to save weight when needed. The other reason I like them is that they are MUCH easier to connect and disconnect than Dean's, especially in tight quarters (most battery compartments are cramped) and ESPECIALLY if you have arthritis. Dean's can be quite stubborn, and when you muscle them apart, it's very easy to damage your plane. People modify them to get a better grip. I hate Deans. Even if you solder the Andersons to save $40 on the crimper, they're easier to solder than Deans. For micro/indoor flyer stuff, you'll want the JST's.

Either invest $50 here: http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-po...pole-sets.html
on some Anderson Power Poles and the crimper OR invest your future time and frustration in Dean's or JST's or EC3's or others.
Kipling is offline Find More Posts by Kipling
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:01 PM
Registered User
R Zielinski's Avatar
USA, NH, Madbury
Joined Dec 2007
166 Posts
BTW, here's a safety tip:

Whenever changing or installing connectors on a battery, ALWAYS do one wire at a time.

Do not clip both wires at the same time (your cutting tool will short out the battery, possibly dangerously and surely to the detriment of your battery's health). Keep one wire insulated while you're working on the other one. Finish up that side, get your connection insulated with heat shrink and "capped" somehow, then do the other side. (Another advantage of Anderson connectors is that once you crimp the metal bit on to the wire, and snap it into the red or black housing, it's safe from accidental shorts).
R Zielinski is offline Find More Posts by R Zielinski
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:11 PM
Registered User
R Zielinski's Avatar
USA, NH, Madbury
Joined Dec 2007
166 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipling View Post
Excellent. Thanks all. So, the adapter you link below calls one side "T-Plug" ... that's the same as a Dean?
Yup, generic Chinese ripoff version probably. I think your plane's plug is actually a generic T plug rather than a Deans branded plug, but I'm a little color blind so can't be sure. All the T style plugs available are compatible, except I believe there is a "mini T plug" available. Yours is the standard size.
R Zielinski is offline Find More Posts by R Zielinski
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 07:40 AM
Canadian Bacon
flypaper 2's Avatar
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,084 Posts
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...irs_20pc_.html
I've been using these T connectors from HK for yrs with no problems. If you find them too tight, flatten the spring. Not a big deal. The XT60 connectors from HK work very well too.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is online now Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 08:10 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Agreed... go ahead and convert everything you have to one style of connector now. I use Anderson Power Poles for everything but the smallest stuff and for that I use JST connectors. It will make your life much easier as your collection grows.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 09:52 AM
Registered User
USA, MO, Florissant
Joined Nov 2010
1,549 Posts
Can we assume you mean the PP15-45 Anderson connectors? Without trimming, those are a bit large, but you can trim them down to just over 20mm length, if needed, I guess.

Looking at the data sheets, there are hook-like features on the ends of the contacts - I suppose to resist separation. Those hooks don't make them harder to separate?
Wintr is offline Find More Posts by Wintr
Reply With Quote
Old Dec 31, 2012, 10:55 AM
I hate waiting for parts
Mike_Then's Avatar
United States, NC, Garner
Joined Apr 2001
6,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintr View Post
Can we assume you mean the PP15-45 Anderson connectors? Without trimming, those are a bit large, but you can trim them down to just over 20mm length, if needed, I guess.

Looking at the data sheets, there are hook-like features on the ends of the contacts - I suppose to resist separation. Those hooks don't make them harder to separate?
That's correct. I've been using APPs since the mid-80's when I raced R/C cars and trucks and I've never had a failure of these connectors. The hooks make a good positive connection and they are advertised as "self-cleaning". They are not hard to separate, but of course they won't hold the weight of a battery should it come loose in flight (ask me how I know).

If you go to these connectors, I highly, highly recommend investing in a crimp tool.
Mike_Then is offline Find More Posts by Mike_Then
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: I gots me a Goblin!
Reply With Quote
Old Jan 01, 2013, 03:43 PM
Registered User
United States, NJ, Frenchtown
Joined Mar 2003
9,016 Posts
I might as well add the XT-60 hooded connectors. Gold plating does make soldering the wires very easy.

I recently converted all batteries & ESCs to them. They pull apart easily. If you couple a dummy male or female to each other during soldering they will keep perfect alingment when you finish soldering.
I no longer use heatshrink tubing on any exposed connectors. To darn hard to fit correctly............Good black plastic electric tape is far easier & better.
cyclops2 is offline Find More Posts by cyclops2
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FMS Focke Wulf Newbie Question (please help) cneuhauser Electric Warbirds 5 Jul 02, 2012 08:36 PM
Help! A sensitive plea for help.... David A Ramsey Life, The Universe, and Politics 147 Jun 27, 2012 08:01 AM
Help! PL6 and Nano charge help - Newbie questions NHmoose Batteries and Chargers 2 Mar 30, 2012 10:20 PM
Discussion Pleas Help me with walkera 36 WK-0701 Tx kaushiksad Simulators 1 Dec 03, 2007 06:26 PM
Help With Charging Li-Po's With Triton Charger Pleas? Synthetic Batteries and Chargers 13 Dec 17, 2004 08:08 PM