HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 29, 2012, 03:08 PM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
950 Posts
Discussion
Will a tricopter fly the same as a quad?

Just bought this..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rame_KIT_.html

I have many quadcopters and fly well, wanted something different, will this tri fly much the same? or should I go careful !!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
ripmax is offline Find More Posts by ripmax
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
Emress
United States, IA, Elkhart
Joined Nov 2011
1,923 Posts
it will be similar to a quad in the controls, but the main difference will be yaw. much more responsive than a quad. that about all i can say as i havent done a tri yet.
sirbow2 is offline Find More Posts by sirbow2
Old Dec 29, 2012, 11:31 PM
Joined Nov 2012
57 Posts
A tricopter seems to fly much more "naturally", almost like a plane, when you're in FPV.
DashieBrad is offline Find More Posts by DashieBrad
Old Dec 30, 2012, 02:00 AM
Denmark, Region Zealand, Jyderup
Joined Jun 2010
393 Posts
A quad is much more stable Then a tri
Spyde is offline Find More Posts by Spyde
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:02 AM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyde View Post
A quad is much more stable Then a tri
That is just not true!
Hasi is offline Find More Posts by Hasi
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:32 AM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
950 Posts
Thanks all, did'nt want to lift off and find its a right handful! especially with that frame as it ain't gonna take a bad landing.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 04:34 AM
Austria, Stmk., Graz
Joined Sep 2011
350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Thanks all, did'nt want to lift off and find its a right handful! especially with that frame as it ain't gonna take a bad landing.
That's why it is mostly better to build one yourself. This way you can always make some replacement parts...
Hasi is offline Find More Posts by Hasi
Old Dec 30, 2012, 06:53 AM
UK, Warwickshire, Leamington Spa
Joined May 2010
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripmax View Post
Just bought this..

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...rame_KIT_.html

I have many quadcopters and fly well, wanted something different, will this tri fly much the same? or should I go careful !!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this.
I would also say it also depends on the flight controller! I started of in multi rotors flying tricopters, I only went to quads because I wanted to get the Naza FC, and that doesn't support tricopters.

I will say that I found my KK quad, more stable that my KK tri, but that had more to do with the tricopters wheel base being a little small!
All in all, I prefer the tri set-up for the fact its lighter, cheaper to build, and you don't need to worry about counter rotating props!

Let us know you find that frame, Iv'e been looking at that for a while

Cheers, Joe
rizzaair is offline Find More Posts by rizzaair
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:06 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
the quick and level yaw of a tri gives me a lot more confidence flying in confined spaces over my quads,
just tuned up a new quad frame with a cc3d and although it feels good i'm already thinking of converting it into a tri.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Dec 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,279 Posts
I gotta disagree, at least on my tricopter the yaw is difficult to dial in. My quads fly better for sure. While it's crazy fast when you give it full tilt it takes a while for it to stop, there is only so much that one motor can do to bring it back to a halt. I find that the yaw on my F330 is more than fast enough. It's even faster on my Y6, that things yaw is absolutely crazy. Much thanks to the six 2200kv motors I bet.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:15 AM
Baton Rouge, LA, USA
Joined Dec 2001
914 Posts
I have built octo, many hexs, a few quads and lots of tri's... The tri's, once tuned properly have far better yaw control.

Also the arm length can be increased on tri’s much more than anything else….. because a long armed quad will never yaw properly. This longer arm length can add to stibilty, not really needed anymore...

But.. A motor flew off my hex the other day and it spun slowly and landed safely… completely not possible with tri..

Many quads, hexs ect will climb or fall with rapid Yaw… A tri will not…

The best flying copter I ever built is a tri-6…. A with copter with tri code and six motors and large foot print with tail motors on bearings… Can’t beat that one so far...

I have been pushing a hex farily hard to do cordinated turns and it can do them... just not as well as a large tri...

Eddie Weeks
www.jetlens.com
EddieWeeks is offline Find More Posts by EddieWeeks
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:20 AM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
950 Posts
Let us know you find that frame, Iv'e been looking at that for a while

Will do, thanks again all.
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
uk. northampton
Joined May 2009
950 Posts
[QUOTE=ripmax;23659525]Let us know you find that frame, Iv'e been looking at that for a while

WIll do, thanks again all
Old Dec 30, 2012, 10:51 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Jul 2012
378 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiseDuck View Post
I gotta disagree, at least on my tricopter the yaw is difficult to dial in. My quads fly better for sure. While it's crazy fast when you give it full tilt it takes a while for it to stop, there is only so much that one motor can do to bring it back to a halt. I find that the yaw on my F330 is more than fast enough. It's even faster on my Y6, that things yaw is absolutely crazy. Much thanks to the six 2200kv motors I bet.
I'd have to day that sounds more like a pid/rate tuning issue than a tri issue,but then you have 2000 posts on me so I could well be wrong.
jimbob69 is offline Find More Posts by jimbob69
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
AVR Dude
United Kingdom, England, Cnwll
Joined Jul 2011
1,419 Posts
My personal experience is quads are more stable like flying a contrarotating helicopter. Tri is more like flying a flybarred heli. But then they invented self level.........
Steveis is offline Find More Posts by Steveis
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: KK2.1 V1.17S1 Updated Firmware