Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:58 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Test flight

Got a test flight in with the airframe in the fuselage. Headspeed of 1250, max collective at 11* (tail hold limit), and Rotortech 600mm mains/85mm tail blades. It works ok, but I'm thinking of going with 95mm tail blades for a crisper stop/better heavy handed flight handling. Nothing fell off, so it's a success .

Pardon the lousy flight, balance was 'seems around here', trim was off, and well, I just wanted to get it in the air, lol

T500/.50 AS-350 (3 min 5 sec)
SidewaysLS4 is offline Find More Posts by SidewaysLS4
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:31 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,332 Posts
This may be nothing but what i noticed is the reduction of rpm as the heli goes from zero to lifto-off pitch. I listened to a video of my 350 lifting off and there is no real change in rpm. Are you using a governor yet on it? Other than that, congrats on the maiden.

Don
Old Jan 05, 2013, 05:57 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidewaysLS4 View Post
Headspeed of 1250, max collective at 11* (tail hold limit), and Rotortech 600mm mains/85mm tail blades.
Thank you -
I've been using a spectrum analyzer to get the headspeeds on 450's for quite a while, but I've never been able to verify it on a slower head or with more than 2 blades because I didn't know what the actual speed was.
Yours is at 61 hz.
61 x 60 seconds is 3660 hz divided by 3 blades is 1220 rpm. It works
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:09 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
This may be nothing but what i noticed is the reduction of rpm as the heli goes from zero to lifto-off pitch. I listened to a video of my 350 lifting off and there is no real change in rpm. Are you using a governor yet on it? Other than that, congrats on the maiden.

Don
Yeah, I noticed that too. It is on gov, and whacking full collective results in very little if any HS drop. I think my JetRanger running a YEP 80 does the same thing. The gov on both is outstanding, but I suspect that under no load it might creep up on the headspeed with these YEP esc's.

I guess a little fast on the ground is better than droop under heavy load.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:12 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlik View Post
Thank you -
I've been using a spectrum analyzer to get the headspeeds on 450's for quite a while, but I've never been able to verify it on a slower head or with more than 2 blades because I didn't know what the actual speed was.
Yours is at 61 hz.
61 x 60 seconds is 3660 hz divided by 3 blades is 1220 rpm. It works
Sounds like it. That 1250 I'm quoting is not set in stone...it is a best guess as I have an Eagletree sensor/logger, which gives some 50 rpm of noise range in the speed reading, so I do my best to decipher the chart setting this up
Old Jan 08, 2013, 01:14 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,332 Posts
Thanks for the little nudge in the right direction. I have decided to fill in the nitro holes in all my scale helis that have them. They should be marked out at the factory but with today's drastic change over to electric, the cutting of the holes should be left up to the individual builder. What a shame to have unwanted holes in a body before you even get it. Take care.

Don
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:15 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Installing some windows

Time to start installing various parts onto the fuselage. I thought that putting some windows in would be a good start.

Before doing this I needed to get a black border around the windows to make it look like weatherstripping as on the real thing. I tried fine line tape...but the stuff I had would allow paint bleed-under on the tight curves, and I'm terrible at getting an even line around the curve, so time for Plan B.

I got some liquid mask and slopped it around the outside of the window cutouts:

I then made a tool to trim around the window opening. This is a punch with a razorblade attached with magnets. I wrapped some tape around the punch to fine-tune the gap between the blade and the punch.

Then I ran the 'tool' around the window openings, afterwards I peeled off the liquid mask around the openings. It looked something like this:

Adding paint:

I then peeled off the rest of the liquid mask and this is what it looked like:

The other side:

Window installation:

And the windows are in:

Looking back, I think I would put a bit less liquid mask on (I had 4 passes with a brush), and I would make sure the mask wasn't as lumpy where I was cutting it. I suspect this is why it was 'fuzzy' in some spots after painting as it lifted a bit on the thicker areas when peeling the mask back. But not too bad for first time doing this and I can clean it up a bit later.

While I was taking care of the windows, I also got a hold of some of this:

And gave it to my assistant for something to do. He does great work!

That's all for now
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:50 AM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,332 Posts
Deja vué on the bades. Nice work on the window installation and striping.

Don
Old Mar 04, 2013, 09:03 AM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Thought I'd throw in a quick update...I haven't forgot this thread or heli!

Got the bulk of the detailing and assembly completed now. With the GensAce 5300 packs I use for my 550 stretch/700 size LongRanger (and now to be used with this heli), looks like a final ready to fly weight of 8.572lb is the result. I figure pretty light, eh?

I'm waiting for "V2" of my registration numbers to arrive (the first iteration didn't look right), and once I stick those on, I'll take some photos.

Maybe in a month or so the snow and winter will head out of town and I'll get some flying/video of it.

Oh yeah, I changed to some KBDD 96mm tail blades for some better tail power. Not sure how good they are yet, but they should be better than the previous blades, and match a little better the tail disk size with the full-size version.

That's all for now
Old Mar 04, 2013, 02:19 PM
Chris Reibert Citizen #78
Joined Dec 2008
375 Posts
This is going to be one sweet AS350 once it's all buttoned up!
Nice looking build
crmodels is offline Find More Posts by crmodels
Old Mar 07, 2013, 01:31 PM
Dongskie
Philippines, NCR, Mandaluyong City
Joined Jul 2007
1,074 Posts
Awesome build!
Dongskie is offline Find More Posts by Dongskie
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:05 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts
Starting to get some flying in

Time for some shakedown test flights and some to-do things...

It looks like I'm going to have to add some bracing from the fuselage to the sides of the airframe as there is a fairly nasty harmonic just below the normal running headspeed. Rather interesting trying to briefly fly it at that lower speed...all the tail fin screws backed out and one of them even parted company with the heli.

I'm also thinking of getting a Mini-Vbar for it, there are a few things with the current FBL controller that I'm not too enthusiastic about. I really like the way Vbar works and flys...might as well spring for one on this heli also.

I am thinking of figuring out that cheapo airbrush I got a while back and spray on some exhaust soot onto the boom for some added detail.

Also, a change in batteries as my GensAce packs I was using are shot. I got some Haiyin 5000mah 25-35C's for my big helis now. They are 800gr, 50gr heavier than the GensAce, but they work out fine...and they work too!

Anyhoo...here's some poorly lit photos and a quick hover video of this heli.

AS350 quick hover (0 min 19 sec)

Last edited by SidewaysLS4; Mar 24, 2013 at 12:12 PM.
Old Mar 24, 2013, 12:55 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
3 miles from AMA HQ Muncie, IN.
Joined Jan 2009
1,746 Posts
Good to see some air under old girls skids, looks like it came out very well.

Yeah the V-Bar kinda makes all the other FBL units pale.

Where did you get your new batteries, got a link?
cap231ex is offline Find More Posts by cap231ex
Old Mar 24, 2013, 01:15 PM
Redjestird Youser
Joined Jan 2009
3,808 Posts

Haiyin battery They have a USA warehouse in NV I think it was. Quick ship, nice price, and according to the batteries forum, decent quality.

I hear the 25C's come with 10 guage wire, which mine has. Higher than 25C, they put 8 guage wire...might be a pain depending on what connectors you use.

If anyone is interested, here's an Eagletree log of hovering, with a couple pitch pumps in there to see max draw. Not too bad for a scaler with 3 blades on 6S, eh?

Good thing I got these new batteries, looking at the logs still on the recorder using the old worn batteries...real ugly, lol.