Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 15, 2013, 07:53 PM
Joined Feb 2013
12 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zbip57 View Post
I went ahead and posted it because I thought it might be useful for others to learn from. We're all learning new stuff. The more we share, the more everyone benefits. I've read all the posts in this thread, 3736 and counting, and I've learned tons of stuff already with hardly any flight time of my own.
I just purchased a Phantom and it's pretty much my first RC since I was a kid. I really appreciate all the info I've been able to gather from this forum already. Your vid and the discussion that's followed has been great. I'm not going to try and reproduce your adventure, but the more info that's out there the better! I've already picked up the FatShark Predator v2 package, but I've had the good sense to only walk around my house with them at this point ... I need more LOS stick time (and reading) before I get too far ahead of myself.
anodyne is offline Find More Posts by anodyne
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:04 PM
DJI and Empire Support
United States, MS, Ridgeland
Joined Feb 2009
4,195 Posts
I Planned to...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahoe Ed View Post
Give him the right answer.
Done...
Gotta wonder if I'm not answering both of them...
T J Gilbert is offline Find More Posts by T J Gilbert
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 15, 2013, 08:10 PM
DJI Support
Las Vegas/Lake Tahoe
Joined Feb 2010
7,915 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by T J Gilbert View Post
Done...
Gotta wonder if I'm not answering both of them...
Probably right on both counts.
Tahoe Ed is offline Find More Posts by Tahoe Ed
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Photogrammetry Solution
Old Feb 15, 2013, 09:35 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Jan 2013
389 Posts
Here's my carry case.

It's a Nanuk-940. http://www.hardcases.ca/products/nanuk-940
Zbip57 is offline Find More Posts by Zbip57
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:58 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Jan 2012
35 Posts
just got a phantom from a member on here already setup nicely, but as im new to quads(not rc) i cant figure out how to reverse the rudder/yaw. is there a way to do this in the assistant? or do i have to get in the case and switch something? ive skimmed through most of this thread but havent seen it mentioned. im grateful for any help you guys might have!
Superbad is offline Find More Posts by Superbad
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:15 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jan 2013
31 Posts
Heres some footage I got earlier this week with my phantom at my local ski hill! Just got my prop balancer yesterday, so all the shots in this video are with unbalanced props and the waterprof gopro housing.

Cannonsburg Quadcopter Edit! (2 min 20 sec)
kubidou is offline Find More Posts by kubidou
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:31 AM
The Aerial Ninja
United States, MI, Ann Arbor
Joined Mar 2012
214 Posts
Quote:
And make sure you are flying in GPS-mode, not ATTI-mode.

Course-Lock works in both GPS and ATTI modes. But Home-Lock works only in GPS-mode, as I discovered last weekend...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAXpuUh78Gk
Quick thinker you are. Excellent example video for us all. Well handled.
red1one is offline Find More Posts by red1one
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:08 AM
Joined Jul 2011
578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardtheboffin View Post
Got the dreaded fast flashing green again today.

It seems to happen only during power initialisation. It would be interesting to know what would happen if it did this during flight....

It would be nice to get this fixed.

This is what Assistant tells me while the Phantom is sat on the bench.

Once it's in this mode, it stays like it no matter how many times you re-power it.

DJI care to comment???
Have you tried basic cali?
DJI INNOVATIONS is offline Find More Posts by DJI INNOVATIONS
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:49 AM
Experienced but not an Expert
United States, WA, Enumclaw
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Here's my carry case.

Thanks for posting the link, spent last few days trying to find a case for my Phantom, and I like what you have there! I just bookmarked the link, and I'll be ordering one for myself once I get the extra cash.
seahawk1984 is offline Find More Posts by seahawk1984
Old Feb 16, 2013, 02:53 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Sorry if this question has been asked before, and I think I already know the answer but would like confirmation before I found out the hard way that I was wrong.

I am planning on going out to some waterfalls and get some video. I will be starting from the top of the falls, and flying down to get videos from in front of them. The question that I have is, if the Phantom goes into fail-safe, and I'm in GPS mode, will it go all the way up so that it's above it's initial home point (what is the distance 20 feet or so?), then go home and land? Or will it just go up the 20 feet or so from where it's at, because it will be below it's home point, and then fly towards home from there, thus flying into the falls.

I'm assuming that it will fly all the way back up above it's home point, even if I've gone let's say 50 feet below home, before it fly's back and land. If I'm wrong in my assumption please let me know. All of the videos I've seen of the Phantom flying back home have been from an altitude that was above it's home point.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:19 AM
Former IAF pilot. Retired
France, IdF, Paris
Joined Apr 2012
780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawk1984 View Post
Sorry if this question has been asked before, and I think I already know the answer but would like confirmation before I found out the hard way that I was wrong.

I am planning on going out to some waterfalls and get some video. I will be starting from the top of the falls, and flying down to get videos from in front of them. The question that I have is, if the Phantom goes into fail-safe, and I'm in GPS mode, will it go all the way up so that it's above it's initial home point (what is the distance 20 feet or so?), then go home and land? Or will it just go up the 20 feet or so from where it's at, because it will be below it's home point, and then fly towards home from there, thus flying into the falls.

I'm assuming that it will fly all the way back up above it's home point, even if I've gone let's say 50 feet below home, before it fly's back and land. If I'm wrong in my assumption please let me know. All of the videos I've seen of the Phantom flying back home have been from an altitude that was above it's home point.
You are right.
The internal GPS calculates the current altitude and geographic position when it initializes.
This is the data recorded for the go home function.
kosem is offline Find More Posts by kosem
Old Feb 16, 2013, 03:24 AM
Joined May 2011
394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kosem View Post
You are right.
The internal GPS calculates the current altitude and geographic position when it initializes.
This is the data recorded for the go home function.
Sweet thanks.

I'm a veteran RC pilot, and this Phantom just does things that I'm not used to. When I tested the Go Home function with the stock transmitter, it felt really strange and a little scary when I turned off my transmitter. With all the models I've flown up to this point, you would never DREAM of turning off your transmitter during mid flight! So I'm still a little cautious with regards to what I can put this Phantom through.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:36 AM
Israel, Jerusalem
Joined Feb 2013
3 Posts
Hi gents,

My first steps in the RC world.
Just got the Phantom yesterday. Thanks to this great community for all I've learned here before taking the plunge.
Cheers,
David
david roch is offline Find More Posts by david roch
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:42 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
6,627 Posts
Quote:
Here's my carry case.

Nicely done. It is the perfect case for the phantom. I see Costco is sold out of them now though
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor