20,697 Posts
Replace the board. You toasted it.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 11, 2012, 01:04 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Back in action!

So I got the replacement board delivered today (17.99 with free shipping).. little expensive but id rather pay more than wait a month from china..

anywho.. little bit of easy soldering and the new 8006 seems to be back in action.. damn cut outs almost totaled her... had to use the main shaft, gears, landing gear, blades..canopy, and fly bar.. and a few other things from my other qs8006 to get this thing ready to fly again. The right rudder cutouts seems to be solved.. although it was way too windy for her to fly, I did a few risky hover tests in a big parking lot today.. no cut outs but only had her up for about 40 seconds... We will see if it continues to fly without problems in the future.. I'm wondering if the added stress from the upgraded tail blade is causing the whacky problems you and I are both experiencing ray.

Regardless of the wind, I did manage to get my nitro, T-Rex, and dh9116 up and about so it wasnt a total waste of a warm day. I'll keep you guys updated on how the 8006 does, and I'll try to get some videos of how the tail blade is working if I can ever drag my wife outside.
helicrapter is offline Find More Posts by helicrapter
Old Dec 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi helicrapter,
The cutouts started happening on my Qs8006 helicopter right after I bought it and first started happening during my 8006ís 4th flight (and before I started using the larger tail blade). In my case though, the cutouts never started until after 4 flights for some strange reason. Its kind of like the PCB boards donít hold good binding after a few flights are put on them. I should have my 3rd new PCB board here within a week or so and I will see how the new one goes.

Ray
Pilot Ray is offline Find More Posts by Pilot Ray
Old Dec 11, 2012, 05:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Ray View Post
Hi helicrapter,
The cutouts started happening on my Qs8006 helicopter right after I bought it and first started happening during my 8006ís 4th flight (and before I started using the larger tail blade). In my case though, the cutouts never started until after 4 flights for some strange reason. Its kind of like the PCB boards donít hold good binding after a few flights are put on them. I should have my 3rd new PCB board here within a week or so and I will see how the new one goes.

Ray
Ah, that's interesting to know. I hope your new board works out. I'm almost to nervous to attempt an actual 25 foot proper altitude test flight with this thing now that I have payed for two 8006's and at this point had to Frankenstein them together just to get one in working order. Im starting to think it looks better just sitting in my workshop with the rest of the fleet surrounding it. (:

Let me know how yours works out. Ill get some videos up on a nice day.... and with any luck you might see my new board fail on camera lol.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
door gunner
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
From the newest guy.....just got "blue" 8006, never flew helis before,but lots of planes
back in the 70s & 80s. Got my mind set right before the first try....love it flew great......
forward flight is slow.....but ya'll are getting that figured out.....but it did fall out of the sky
on the second flight.....all motors went dead.....still watching for the right fix.....will take
apart, re-solder, tighten everything, and make some blade spacers...thanks Onytay
onytay is offline Find More Posts by onytay
Old Dec 11, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by onytay View Post
From the newest guy.....just got "blue" 8006, never flew helis before,but lots of planes
back in the 70s & 80s. Got my mind set right before the first try....love it flew great......
forward flight is slow.....but ya'll are getting that figured out.....but it did fall out of the sky
on the second flight.....all motors went dead.....still watching for the right fix.....will take
apart, re-solder, tighten everything, and make some blade spacers...thanks Onytay
Hi onytay,
Sorry to hear about your Qs8006ís unfortunate crash. The 8006 is real fun to fly as long as the power stays running. I did find that with my last 8006 PCB board that the power cutouts seemed to go away if I landed the helicopter for about 30 seconds about Ĺ way through the flights. Not really a cure but seemed to help. Hopefully G.T Model will have a permanent fix for this problem soon.

Ray
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Joined Dec 2012
370 Posts
cutouts

During the first few flights when it didn't cut out, did it happen to be humid?

I'm wondering if there is static discharge happening. It would explain why when you touch down in the middle of the flight that you don't have cut outs.

The wave length of 27 MHz is 11.11m . if the tail boom is an even fraction of that it will act as an interfering director.

One or both could be the underlying problem.
resago is offline Find More Posts by resago
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:46 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
5 flights in.. no cuts!

Hello guys.. I ran through 5 batteries today without a single problem or cut out. This replacement board seemed to be the key to the problem. Very cold day here.. maybe about 30F.. but little wind so I took her out. The 8006 turns a lot faster with this new board.. it almost as if the old was was stuck in the "low" mode on the tx.

I made a quick video of my first test flight today. Sorry about all the typos in the video I've been up almost 20 hours heh.

I did a nice full forward elevator to show the speed on the modded tail blade... but mostly took it easy because it was the first flight on the new board and i was in my tiny drive way.

enjoy

QS8006 GT large helicopter with tail blade mod! (6 min 51 sec)
Old Dec 12, 2012, 10:04 PM
United States, IL, Somonauk
Joined Nov 2012
7 Posts
Thanks Ray! One question, you mention the gyro trim. Is that on the heli or the transmitter? I don't believe it's on the tx. Could you explain?
Thanks,
Craig
Ridinspurs is offline Find More Posts by Ridinspurs
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by resago View Post
During the first few flights when it didn't cut out, did it happen to be humid?

I'm wondering if there is static discharge happening. It would explain why when you touch down in the middle of the flight that you don't have cut outs.

The wave length of 27 MHz is 11.11m . if the tail boom is an even fraction of that it will act as an interfering director.

One or both could be the underlying problem.
Hi resago,
The thought had crossed my mind about the possibility of a static problem on my Qs8006, but then that wouldnít explain why 2 different PCB boards didnít cutout once during their initial flights (original board didnít start cutting out until 4th flight and a new 2nd board didnít start cutting out until the 7th flight.). About the only things that I havenít done or tried is replacing the transmitter or the main motors, but then I donít really think their the problem since my 8006 flies pretty good otherwise.

I donít know what to think, but currently I have a 3rd new PCB board coming for my helicopter in the next few days, so I will give it a try and see how it does.

Ray
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Hi helicrapter,
Really good to hear that the new PCB board is working well on your Qs8006 helicopter. Also your 8006 video looked fine and your 8006 helicopter looked like it was flying around very easily and with good speed. I know when my Qs8006 is flying, minus the occasional cutout it also flies around pretty nice.

Ray
Old Dec 13, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Feb 2011
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridinspurs View Post
Thanks Ray! One question, you mention the gyro trim. Is that on the heli or the transmitter? I don't believe it's on the tx. Could you explain?
Thanks,
Craig
Hi Craig,
I was referring to the trim button on the transmitter itself. It’s the small press button located just below the left / right turning joystick. When the air is calm and with the helicopter hovering, if the helicopter has a tendency to keep rotating to the right, then the gyro can be adjusted by pressing the trim button towards the left. If the helicopter has a tendency to keep rotating to the left, then the gyro can be adjusted by pressing the trim button towards the right. Depending on how far off the trim adjustment is, the trim button can either be quickly press clicked for fine tuning the trim, or the trim button can be pushed in and held longer for a faster larger adjustment.
Basically what the trim button does is it gets the 2 main rotor’s synchronized good to the gyro in relationship to when the helicopter is flying so that the helicopter will hold itself as steady and straight as possible when its flying.

Ray
Last edited by Pilot Ray; Dec 13, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 10:08 PM
door gunner
Joined Dec 2012
4 Posts
from onyta
flew a new 8006 today, belongs to a friend, good flight, ran battery low, no cut out...
his is red, mine is blue,????. 4 take offs & landings, this was actually the second
time, flew just fine the first time, i told him to tie it down and make 4 more flights
as per a simulator, using all controles as in a real time flight... don't trust it yet.....
maybe with 4 batt. cycles, ??????? they are sending me a brand new blue one
onytay is offline Find More Posts by onytay
Old Dec 18, 2012, 06:17 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
Confirmed that the battery is Li-Io

I had a newer battery go bad on me a week ago because one of the stock chargers I had decided to have a melt down while charging. (this ruined the battery also obviously)

Anyway I always was about 99% sure these batteries were lithium ion and not lipo's... just due to the weight and cell layout which is common with a Li-Io. I have a friend that teaches at a chem lab at a local university and he owed me a favor. So I dropped the battery off with him. He "dissected" the battery itself and did some kind of testing on it and confirmed it is infact lithium ion and not lipo. Sorry to burst everyone's bubble here.

Anyway I had my newest 8006 all apart this week for another extensive paint job (similar to my previous one but this time im painting the frame body. It appears you can easily cut the tabs (the stoppers that hold the battery from falling out the front or the back) off of the new style battery boxes..which would allow the use of a very large LIPO. Im guessing I could cram something in there around 3500ma or bigger. I have spare frame work from my first 8006 so i'll prob attempt the mod with that battery box.. however I only have one working PCB between the two so i'm very hesitant because i don't want to fry this one. I am also going to be adding some serious weight in the nose with clay to allow me to keep her moving even in the wind... this will also require remounting of the blades or some spacers so that the sudden nose dips dont cause the blades to smack and crash.

Im going to start out with a few grams for now using the stock battery, but anticipate being able to add much more once I get a lipo in there (and I will need to re balance it anyway). I will be using velcro to secure the battery inside the heli frame and just run the charge wire out the side like in most lipo run birds. Also if you loosen the two screws that hold the PCB mount in place you can actually rotate the entire mount/board to be vertical instead of horizontal, which will allow the larger battery to be slid forward. (I discovered this because my new 8006 came this way from the factory and I flipped the board back down horizontal when I replaced it.)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 04:36 PM
Joined Oct 2012
28 Posts
finished the new paint job

Kept it similar to my last qs8006 and used the same canopy. Frame is now satin OD green, Stain black gear covers, satin black tail boom, OD green rear stabilizer, black tail bade, grey and yellow rockets. Still waiting on my damn decals from china.. but pretty much done now. If anyone is around new england and needs a project painted let me know, just picked up a very nice HVLP system.