HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 17, 2011, 01:01 PM
United States, IA, Newton
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Discussion
Thunder Tiger P-40 Warhawk

Purchased this model at a reduced price recently. I saw this model on a expired thread and revised the LiPo compartment modification further and left the pilot in it’s original position. Also revised prop to a 2 blade Master Airscrew Scimitar 8 x 6 with a Turnigy 2826-1350 motor and a 1000 mah 2S LiPo. It pulls 8.5 amps max using a 12 amp HK ESC. I can fly fine at half throttle. The 3S LiPo caused more vibration through the nylon motor mount and much more torque roll. You could feel it when holding the plane during amp checks. Still weighs about 17 oz. I used the existing spinner painted red, but have ordered a 2” DuBro and a GWS replacement spinner used on their P-51 ARF for trial. I used wide packing tape for hinging the ailerons. Folded them completely back on the tape and sanded the foam clean on the hinge line. They work perfectly. Had to modify the motor mount bolt pattern to fit my motor. Just order the kit with the motor for the same price. I installed HXT 500 servos and Spectrum radio.
Park Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Park Pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:02 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
621 Posts
Great looking little plane, where did you find it? I have a Thunder Tiger P-47 and did the battery hatch mod to it, it was a pain in the arse to remove the wing each time to change out the battery. Nice job on the mod.
malden86 is online now Find More Posts by malden86
Old Oct 19, 2011, 07:17 AM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
Thunder Tiger P-40 Warhawk

Tower Hobbies still has the included motor version in stock. Thanks
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:01 PM
Joined Jun 2011
36 Posts
I got one too...but a week before they really dropped the price on it.
I'm not at all impressed with the quality of this kit. The hinging of all the control surfaces is a joke, and the foam is pretty poor quality.

What did you do to make the elevator usable? I ended up cutting the whole thing off and using pin hinges.

I haven't flown it yet, but was planning on using a 3S setup. I don't know how well it will fly with the three bladed prop without a rudder. It does want to torque roll just running up the motor.

I have the battery in the factory location, and may do the hatch mod to make my life easier...or I may just see how it flies first. Chances are pretty good it's gonna hit the ground before I ever get around to modding it.
gunslinger7186 is offline Find More Posts by gunslinger7186
Old Oct 19, 2011, 12:36 PM
United States, CT
Joined Aug 2005
1,920 Posts
Nice looking Warhawk!

I think the only reason that these aren't more popular is that lack of a battery hatch. Sorry but I just don't want to unscrew and re-screw the wing of my 34" EPS foamy three or four times every time out to the field.

I'd love to build up a Rare Bear but I always balked at this issue and left it on the shelf.

Any pictures of your battery hatch would be very welcome.
MRGTX is online now Find More Posts by MRGTX
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:11 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,343 Posts
TT P-40 - current hangar queen

I bought one of these when they had a magazine spread and sales promotion about 4 years ago.

It's pleasing to look at but for me was a disappointment in several ways. Like another poster has mentioned, the elevator hinging was unusable and I put in pin hinges to operate properly. Also, the elevator joiner has a built in control horn which severely limits set up choices.

I did a hatch mod which is satisfactory. As time went on, my eye began to detect what looked to be an undersized vertical fin and rudder so I measured up against a good scale drawing and found it to be true. I subsequently modified it to the "K" model tail fin to add some additional area to compensate.

The weakest part of the airplane seems to be the ply motor mount where it comes off the firewall in a "U" shape. Won't take much to break it there. I elected early in the assembly to not glue in the firewall as it is retained by a hefty groove in the fuselage - good thing I didn't as it allowed me to remove the entire motor mount for repair.

This was my first warbird arf (or more accurately pre-painted kit) and while the motor may be a jewel, it's about all that's remarkable.

I moved on to the Phase 3 P-40 (no longer sold in the U.S.). It's larger size and retracts were more versatile for my uses and took up the slack for the TT version.

The TT will torque roll heavily to the left at launch, something I was not ready for on the first flight and resulted in a not-too destructive wreck. I know others have had success flying this little plane but for me was not what I was looking for.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Last edited by gnats82; Oct 19, 2011 at 02:40 PM.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 01:35 PM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
621 Posts
gnats82, I forgot about the elevator control horn setup I didn't use it on my P-47 I rerouted the control rod and used a traditional elevator setup. I also made the rudder functional and added a steerable tail wheel.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 02:50 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,343 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by malden86 View Post
gnats82, I forgot about the elevator control horn setup I didn't use it on my P-47 I rerouted the control rod and used a traditional elevator setup. I also made the rudder functional and added a steerable tail wheel.
malden -

Yep, the rudder and steerable tailwheel would be a must for ground take offs. I use the rudder constantly on my planes in the air and with this one, that is probably the area that makes this one feel the strangest to fly.

I theorize that the undersized vertical tail also contributes to the plane's difficulty to hand launch. It also tends to be very pitch sensitive with that short, short control horn.

Really, there's just not much to choose from in this size range as P-40s go. I think the GWS is one but not sure how available they are these days.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:15 PM
France, Rhône-Alpes, Pierrelatte
Joined Apr 2009
308 Posts
I owned the plane 4 years ago using all stock except 1.2Ah 3S Polyquest Lipo. The landing gear was weak and ripped on taxy. I managed to fly it once, but with difficulty because of bad CG. On a 3rd hand launch, the plane dived and broke in pieces, probably for the reason explain by gnats82.
I wasn't expert in warbird at this time but I had bad souvenir of this plane, except the sound and of course the look.
BinbinDesbois is offline Find More Posts by BinbinDesbois
Old Oct 19, 2011, 04:19 PM
Joined May 2011
18 Posts
More Info on LiPo Hatch

I added 3/8 x 1/4 Balsa on inner sides with another 1/4 x 1/4 below these to get enough depth for my 1000 mah LiPo. Bottom is 1/8 Balsa and extends to firewall. This allows positioning for CG balance. I use thin velcro to hold LiPo position. The rear hinge is cut through in 2 places on each side, which leaves about half of the material attached. If the material eventually fails with fatigue, I will resort to the packaging tape I used on ailerons. See earlier info. Learned this from building Foamies and has never failed. I fly this 2S at less than full throttle and can do rolls, and Cuban 8's with plenty of power. Also got my DuBro 2" spinner installed today. Good luck with building and flying.
Old Oct 19, 2011, 06:25 PM
Paws to refresh...
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,343 Posts
Park Pilot -

Nice work on the hatch. I've kept my P-40 around just in case some change might make it more tolerable and a try with a with a 2 cell lipo might be just the ticket.

Just did a quick visit to the Tower Hobbies site for these and though they aren't showing the P-40, I did click on their Corsair to check the prices and was I shocked!! About $45 with the Ripper outrunner! This is about 1/3 of what I paid for the P-40 in 2007, less than the cost for the motor alone back then!

I was browsing for parts prices there but didn't see any. Seems like a cowl was close to $15 a few years back.
Old Dec 10, 2011, 10:53 AM
San Antonio, TX.
Joined Feb 2009
621 Posts
Price went up

Just checked on Tower Hobbies to see if any are still left in stock and the price went up to 69.99. Yikes! I guess the price went up for Christmas, this is way too much for this model, Maybe they'll have some left over after Christmas?
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:40 PM
Hopewell Jct. NY
Joined Jun 2004
78 Posts
Programming the escapment

Talk about your senoir moment!
I completely forgot that the P-40 doesn't usually ship with an escapment. I bought mine during a "special" sale, and the company tossed in a no-name esc for free. I really mean no name. There isn't any documentation, no manufacturer, not a single identifying mark anywhere on the escapement except the words "20 Amp". No brand, not another squiggle or ink stain, nothing. So I took out the documentation for every esc I had, and just started doing the setup for each of them until one of them worked. The throttle is fine now.
************************************************** ************************************************** *******************************

Anyone have the instructions for programming the escapement? My motor revs fine to half throttle, then slows down after that. It's not the transmitter. I tested it with another esc and motor and it's fine.
I didn't make the battery box mod . DOH!
I did mod the landing gear so I could fly it with or without. Makes the gear stronger (probably stronger than the wing). I also added the rudder.

Thanks in advance

Glenn
vicar is offline Find More Posts by vicar
Last edited by vicar; Feb 26, 2012 at 09:05 PM. Reason: Senior moment