HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:04 PM
Adelaide Plains Australia
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
New Product
Chuck's Totem Pole Plane Storage System.....

Hi all, thought i'd share this idea my lovely lady thought of for me, as she was sick to death of seeing my planes spread all over the house anyway i was using a foam Broccoli box with small slots in it to hold my planes, while i work on them, she thought why not cut the slots deeper and sit the whole plane in it, put the lid on, then stack the boxes on top of each other, now i personally hadn't seen this idea anywhere and thought it sounded good.

Now i tell you i was waiting to get some cash to build a couple of those plastic pipe stands we have seen, but these foam boxes are free so i thought i'd give it a go when i get some time i will get the spray gun out and give the fronts of the boxes a coat of paint to "tissy" them up and name the plane that fits in them. I used my Gas Soldering Iron with the cutter blade attached and it was an easy job, just do it outside as the fumes are a little potent

anyway end result is what we have named "Chuck's Totem Pole Plane Storage System" I could reach 8 boxes high, so 8 planes off the ground/tables/furniture

if your limited for space and want an easy cheap way to store your planes, go for it here is a few photos of my now cleaned up hobby room

a big thank you to my honey for this idea and the native Americans, for the "Totem Pole" hope i haven't offended anyone with my pole to the "Gods of Flight"

cheers chuck
ChuckTseeker is offline Find More Posts by ChuckTseeker
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
USA, FL, Winter Haven
Joined May 2006
504 Posts
Awesome idea...Storage and Protection !!
Merlin1205 is offline Find More Posts by Merlin1205
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:09 PM
Australia, WA, Kalgoorlie
Joined Apr 2011
1,398 Posts
Very, very neat idea, you not speak with forked tongue!

(I'm afraid though in my house with three hyperactive Jack Russell terriers around that there totem pole will come crashing down fairly regularly)
wizard of odd is offline Find More Posts by wizard of odd
Old Aug 15, 2011, 11:35 PM
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post

(I'm afraid though in my house with three hyperactive Jack Russell terriers around that there totem pole will come crashing down fairly regularly)
haha yes no dogs or kids in this household but i will say i was a little worried it wouldn't be stable and i can give it quiet a push back and forth and it didn't show any signs of falling over, being in the corner of the room also means the wings touch the wall to help keep it upright

been there a week or so now while i have been doing other things in the room and it hasn't moved, i'm very happy with it

cheers chuck
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:17 AM
Antarctica
Joined Dec 2009
267 Posts
YES! Finally, a storage system that will last tens of thousands if not millions of years in the landfill! Great, I've been looking for one of those!
bob_loblaw is offline Find More Posts by bob_loblaw
Old Aug 16, 2011, 12:25 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_loblaw View Post
YES! Finally, a storage system that will last tens of thousands if not millions of years in the landfill! Great, I've been looking for one of those!
well if you want to look at it that way, "I" didn't make the box, "I'm" just Recycling, "Other Peoples Rubbish" to keep it out of the landfills
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:13 AM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,262 Posts
Quote:
It's funny because the planes it's holding will also... last tens of thousands if not millions of years in the landfill.
C₄H₁₀ is online now Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:20 AM
Australia, SA, Adelaide
Joined Jun 2011
98 Posts
That is so scary dude; just looking at that picture gave me a stomach ulcer

Perhaps a 3x3 foot MDF board glued to the bottom container, or something similar to it could give it the best chance of not falling over.
As far as a modular storage system go’s I think it’s awesome, planes stored in multiple (low) stacks along a wall wouldn’t take up that much space in a storage room at all.

And stress less about the obvious trolls in the thread... You don't see them posting their "concerns" about foam biodegradability in every EPO/EPP/EPS plane thread do you
Your box's ARE recyclable if disposed of properly, just like many other non-biodegradable products. Personally I use my broccoli box’s as Planting containers
lofi is offline Find More Posts by lofi
Old Aug 16, 2011, 01:55 AM
Joined Dec 2007
3,328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lofi View Post
That is so scary dude; just looking at that picture gave me a stomach ulcer

Perhaps a 3x3 foot MDF board glued to the bottom container, or something similar to it could give it the best chance of not falling over.
As far as a modular storage system go’s I think it’s awesome, planes stored in multiple (low) stacks along a wall wouldn’t take up that much space in a storage room at all.

And stress less about the obvious trolls in the thread... You don't see them posting their "concerns" about foam biodegradability in every EPO/EPP/EPS plane thread do you
Your box's ARE recyclable if disposed of properly, just like many other non-biodegradable products. Personally I use my broccoli box’s as Planting containers
cheers, i know what you mean and as said i have rocked it about a bit as i wasn't sure how high i could go, but as said it is surprisingly stable, i thought about putting a base board in with say supports, 2 boxes high on the sides, but honestly it is not needed, also as said i don't have kids or dogs to knock it over

cheers chuck
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:14 AM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Chuck

A great idea by Ms Chuck. You should feel duty bound to buy more planes and fill up more boxes to keep them out of landfill.

P.S Your playroom is waay too tidy.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Aug 16, 2011, 04:06 PM
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,298 Posts
NICE!!!! A tip on helping it not tip. Heaviest birds on the bottom, lighter stuff on top.

And be nice to the wifey, one "oops" bump of the vacuum cleaner and it could "accidentally" come crashing down. No doggies or kiddies required.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Aug 18, 2011, 09:38 AM
Ochroma Lagopus Tekton
Blackstock, South Carolina
Joined Sep 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker View Post
well if you want to look at it that way, "I" didn't make the box, "I'm" just Recycling, "Other Peoples Rubbish" to keep it out of the landfills
Yay! Well said. I like the general idea too. I have only one question though, about the design.

What if you want to get to the plane that's on the bottom?
Fly Wheel is offline Find More Posts by Fly Wheel
Old Aug 18, 2011, 10:48 AM
Joined Mar 2011
538 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard of odd View Post

Hmmmm planes or dogs? I guess the dogs will have to go Very cool idea Chuck.
papabearflying is offline Find More Posts by papabearflying
Old Aug 18, 2011, 11:18 AM
United States, PA, Slatington
Joined Sep 2010
1,654 Posts
cool idea ,if you have extra boxes like those heres my suggestion.

redo the ones that the props are not sticking out of so that they all have props sticking out .
i just think that would be much more cool looking .
then spray the fronts to give a good contrast to the room .
i hear the krylon "fusion" paint works on foam and doesnt melt it .
a camo design down the whole tower would look cool too. if you know someone handy with an airbrush they could totally totem pole it out with a wood looking color and killer art .

keep the heavier planes towards the bottom for even more stability.
helizrnew2me is offline Find More Posts by helizrnew2me
Old Aug 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
USA, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2007
483 Posts
I like it! But I second the question: how do you get planes off the bottom?

Also, can anyone suggest where to get free styrofoam boxes like this? I have lots of file-storage boxes but they won't have strength past about 3-high. I guess broccoli boxes are standard in Oz, but never seen one in SoCal!

If it ever does fall over, be sure to post some pics.
Reegor is offline Find More Posts by Reegor