HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 06, 2011, 11:59 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Discussion
Syma's new S109G Apache

I've been searching around the net for one of these for a month or so. Cheapest I saw was $40 shipped online, but that was a bit much for my taste so I never bought one. When I went to Weak Signals RC Expo last weekend, I found the S109G for a steal of a price. I had to pick one up.

It is a great looking scale helicopter from Syma, much like the S108G Cobra. It is very stable in the air. You can probably leave it hovering and go take out the trash. Forward speed is good, but not as fast as the Cobra. It is not surprising since the Apache weighs a little more than the Cobra. Agility is not as quick as the Cobra either. Backward speed is fast! It might even be faster going backwards than forward.

If you're a fan of military helicopters, you've got to pick up this one. Here's my video impression of it. Feedback on these video's would be greatly appreciated!

Syma S109G Apache RC heli impressions (5 min 8 sec)
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 07, 2011, 06:34 AM
Master Of My Universe
Newcastle, UK
Joined Jul 2010
2,677 Posts
That looks really cool and I like your videos because you say what is not so good about the heli as well as it's good points

I have the S108G and have been looking at the S109G for a while.

I also have the U803 Apache and that is one very fast forward flying machine

You might want to have a look at the UDI series they have the U801 Augusta, the U803 Apache and U806 Huey all scale models and they all look and fly great and all from the same transmitter.

You can turn the lights on and off from the transmitter as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor View Post

If you're a fan of military helicopters, you've got to pick up this one. Here's my video impression of it. Feedback on these video's would be greatly appreciated!

http://vimeo.com/22060904
scotsoft is offline Find More Posts by scotsoft
Old Apr 07, 2011, 08:16 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Gosh-dang, I finally see the copter I've wanted for over a year now: an Apache without a silly LED-filled, cheese-holed body.
killbucket is offline Find More Posts by killbucket
Old Apr 07, 2011, 04:20 PM
Joined Jan 2011
18 Posts
Nice review Imposter. My only hang up with this heli is that the landing gears won't take much before being broken. Maybe not as much as an issue for the more experienced flyers (uh now I think of it probably applicable to all), but I know Jr. will trash them as he does some hard landings. I saw at 2 mall kiosks where they had this heli under another brand and they each had a few busted examples. Agree though, good looking heli and it is nice to see manufacturers getting away from the brightly colored flying light shows.
trsills is offline Find More Posts by trsills
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:12 PM
Renegade Eggroll
USA, IL, Chicago
Joined Jan 2011
788 Posts
Thanks trsills! I try to land the Apache gently so I won't break the landing wheels.

And scotsoft, I've been eyeing those UDI helis. They look really cool too!
impostor is offline Find More Posts by impostor
Old Apr 07, 2011, 10:47 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
Just to observe, the lights aren't all flashbacks to John Travolta. If you live where it's only calm at night, they're nav lights.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 08, 2011, 08:00 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Ironic that the real Apache's gear is literally designed for hard, not so perfect landings.

MIL birds have been sadly missing from my shelves...
Hopefully, the drivetrains can handle the added weight of realism at this level.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:44 AM
Joined Apr 2011
13 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by impostor View Post
I've been searching around the net for one of these for a month or so. Cheapest I saw was $40 shipped online, but that was a bit much for my taste so I never bought one. When I went to Weak Signals RC Expo last weekend, I found the S109G for a steal of a price. I had to pick one up.
This Texas website is selling it for 23.99 only
simon119 is offline Find More Posts by simon119
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:21 AM
Raager Dat
United States, SC, Goose Creek
Joined Apr 2011
412 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon119 View Post
This Texas website is selling it for 23.99 only
That be great if the total wasn't $34, cmon 24.99 deals !!!
Steve1991 is offline Find More Posts by Steve1991
Old Apr 29, 2011, 09:00 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
Yuh gotta pay fur shipping...I won't even leave the house for under $15 post. Fuel is expensive, worthy carriers of our precious toys more so.

It's easy to compare Ebay pricing, but what's it worth to deal with somebody who at least has an address and a website? Sorry, but I feel cleaner leaving a grubby Saturday Flea-Market than shopping there.

I'm ordering a $55 copter today, but the total to get it to me safely is $80, and I expected that going in.
Old Apr 29, 2011, 12:36 PM
Fly Runaway Fans
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jan 2009
9,364 Posts
Well KB, if you weren't terrified of ailerons, Horizon ships complete kits free.
arbilab is offline Find More Posts by arbilab
Old Apr 29, 2011, 01:20 PM
Joined Oct 2010
23 Posts
Helipal has this in big version

http://www.helipal.com/syma-s023g-ap...er-w-gyro.html
chanerz is offline Find More Posts by chanerz
Old Apr 29, 2011, 07:56 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swansea
Joined Apr 2010
3,497 Posts
Had a look at one of these and www.menkind.co.uk shop, I think it works out under $40 when buying it off a shelf in one of their stores, I love these si
lil 3ch birds, everytime a get close to enough money to buy A MSR I end up buying another 3ch, spairs or repairs birds are my problem, I can't resist them so for now at least I'll wait till Modelzone start selling them, then I can get a spares or repairs one
djdavies83 is online now Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old May 02, 2011, 04:19 AM
I'm FAMOUS
Joined Mar 2010
5,108 Posts
I know this feeling! I kinda like when a hapless machine "needs me".

To a point, Syma, to a point.
Old Sep 22, 2011, 07:28 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
5,822 Posts
I recently acquired this S109G after having a fleet of S107Gs. It a nice scaled model w/o the cheese holed body like some other Apaches. I don't have a digital scale at home, but the plastic fuse seems lighter than the S107 metal one. But this S109G is a basket of screws!!! My initial flight times is at about 6 mins - at par with the S107.

It did a few very modest mods to the bird, because I'm against turning helicopters into Frankensteins. Just to preserve the great looking blades, I swapped them out with S107 blades which I have plenty of, so that I won't feel so bad when I get a blade strike. When I need the S109G for an photo op, I could always reinstall the great looking blades. The S107 blades are longer and provide more lift! I went through the fuse and removed some unnecessary screws to shed some weight. With the weight loss and longer blades, new flight time tops 8 minutes now! I rarely push it through 5 minutes because I found that the motors get a lot warmer than the S107 because it is all enclosed.

The thing that baffled me the most is the FF speed vs FR speed. Like the OP said, the S109G is happy going backwards, but FF speed is very sluggish. After looking at the fuse closely, I am focusing on this horizontal plank at the tail section. It is placed directly under the tail rotor! In a real Apache, I'm sure that the arrangement helps the flight. But in our little 3CH model, where the tail rotor is mount differently, the placement of this plank negates most of the tail lift that translates to FF movement!!! I think that is the reason why this bird refuses to go forward. I have looked at the inside, apart of trying to move the battery, thus the CG, as much forward as possible, I don't have any other idea how to make this thing fly faster. I'm quite sure that if I cut off the planks in the tail, this thing would zip. But then, it is against my philosophy of destroying that perfect scaled look. What to do? Same thing with the missile launchers on the side. Don't they take away some lift where they are placed?
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad