HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 13, 2013, 04:59 PM
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
What he said. That new Scorp rocks and so efficient.
Pilot Fatigue is online now Find More Posts by Pilot Fatigue
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:27 PM
Keep calm...and CALL BATMAN!!!
United States, CA, Portola Valley
Joined Aug 2013
836 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC Man View Post
I am running the new SII-4020-540, which is more efficient than the old scorpion motors and has lots more power than the stock motor.

The CC Talon 90 has somewhat of a bad reputation for having problems so I have stayed away from that ESC. The Edge is more expensive but I have them on airplanes and helicopters and they all perform flawlessly and run cool. I think that they have lower resistance FET chips that makes them run cooler but increases the cost.

I got the new SII 4020-540kv and a Phoenix Edge LITE 100. Really happy with scorpion. Love their stickers too!!!
Charlie Tilney is offline Find More Posts by Charlie Tilney
Old Nov 21, 2013, 01:38 PM
ex-noob
Sammamish, WA, USA
Joined Jan 2010
2,256 Posts
16x7 Xoar Electric props back in stock!

FYI

Just heard from WrongWayRC that they have 16x7 XOAR PJNs back in stock. I know there were a few here looking for them so I wanted to pass the info along.

Cheers,
-Larry
Lardog is offline Find More Posts by Lardog
Old Nov 21, 2013, 04:42 PM
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Tilney View Post
I got the new SII 4020-540kv and a Phoenix Edge LITE 100. Really happy with scorpion. Love their stickers too!!!
I've got that one in my edge and a smaller one in a 48.....awesome performance and noticeably more efficient than the Motrofly and Torque which are both great motors.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 05:28 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot Fatigue View Post
What he said. That new Scorp rocks and so efficient.
I would really appreciate some numbers to go with that. I mean what one person considers "it rocks" might be someone elses "it's eh ok" . Some static amp and RPM readings would be great!

I would also love to hear from someone that has had that motor swinging a 16x8 for a few hundred flights and hear how it's holding up.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:55 PM
Joined Jan 2012
597 Posts
I have 3 EF 60" edges and 3 different motors so its obvious to me which one makes more power and gives longer flight times while doing it. Thats why i say it "rocks" because it does compaired to the Motrolfly and Torque which again are PLENTY for this airframe. As far as long term dependability....only time will tell but I will post numbers when I have time. Happy Thanksgiving to all!!
Old Nov 22, 2013, 06:16 PM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,312 Posts
Anything bigger then a 15" prop is defiantly looking for disaster with that motor with at 540kV. People rave about how efficient the scorpion motors are but I have seen many pics over that last few years of what could happen to them when pushed past their structural integrity. They were originally designed for helis which see very little gyroscopic side loads.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 23, 2013, 04:50 AM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
17,008 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansifsof44 View Post
Anything bigger then a 15" prop is defiantly looking for disaster with that motor with at 540kV. People rave about how efficient the scorpion motors are but I have seen many pics over that last few years of what could happen to them when pushed past their structural integrity. They were originally designed for helis which see very little gyroscopic side loads.

LOL thatís funny!

The new Scorpion SII series is a totally new design especially designed for airplanes.

RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Nov 23, 2013, 08:22 AM
They Call him Dead!
United States, SC, Pawleys Island
Joined Jul 2003
6,314 Posts
Quote:
LOL thatís funny!

The new Scorpion SII series is a totally new design especially designed for airplanes.

Do you have specs on the physical size of the two different versions? I know the original version was long and narrow which is not good for 3D airplanes.....
YellowJacketsRC is offline Find More Posts by YellowJacketsRC
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:06 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,312 Posts
Quote:
LOL thatís funny!

I'm no comedian, I was just warning from using bigger then a 15" prop on that motor and stating why. What did they do to improve the structure... Bigger or extra bearing? It may be designed for a airplane but most airplanes don't see heavy 3D side loads that we put put on them. Any motor can fail with enough force... If you want to run a bigger prop, lower the kV. I'm interested in seeing new motors being successful (competition is a good thing), but until I see they are proven for 3D I will stick with what is.
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:20 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
Nose heavy with 3300 6s

I see most guys here are using 3300 6s batteries and I as well but the plane is very nose heavy despite the battery backed against the wing tube and ESC under battery.

I'm using the Torque/air boss. Anyone else have this experience??
TopShuter is offline Find More Posts by TopShuter
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:24 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,314 Posts
Nose Heavy? That has not been a complaint about this plane. If everything is stock, then I would suggest that you may be mistaken. I suggest this because I too thought my edge was nose heavy at first until I described what it was doing and Mr Hinson explained that I was actually tail heavy!!

After following his advice (even though I was skeptical) I found him to be correct (yeah go figure right?), I had been flying tail heavy when I thought I was nose heavy!

So, My question to you is, can you describe how the plan is flying and why you think it is nose heavy?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:38 PM
United States, CA, Heber
Joined Sep 2012
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post
Nose Heavy? That has not been a complaint about this plane. If everything is stock, then I would suggest that you may be mistaken. I suggest this because I too thought my edge was nose heavy at first until I described what it was doing and Mr Hinson explained that I was actually tail heavy!!

After following his advice (even though I was skeptical) I found him to be correct (yeah go figure right?), I had been flying tail heavy when I thought I was nose heavy!

So, My question to you is, can you describe how the plan is flying and why you think it is nose heavy?
I'm curious to know how you thought it was nose heavy when it was tail heavy.
jk6672 is offline Find More Posts by jk6672
Old Nov 23, 2013, 09:49 PM
They Call him Dead!
Joined Jul 2003
6,314 Posts
I don't remember exactly how I worked myself into that lol. I do remember that one of the things that confused me was in a power off nose dive, the plane would pull slightly to canopy which does happen when a plane is nose heavy. But apparently it does not necessarily mean that it IS nose heavy (Ask Chris…). I was also confused by the fact that the plane would fly level at low throttle but would then nose down when I hit the throttle. Because it was nosing down I ws thinking it was nose heavy.

In fact it was tail heavy. At low speed I had to give it down trim to keep the tail up. Then when I gave it throttle, it would nose down due to the additional air over the elevator which was already pitching the tail up in order to counter the tail heavy….

I think there were some other confusing (To Me anyway) clues.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jan 2013
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead View Post

First I was never able to accomplish the measurements from the wing leading edge given in the manual and second when I'm trimmed out flying upright and roll to inverted I need to give some up elevator input.
TopShuter is offline Find More Posts by TopShuter