Find More Posts by lashidalgo
United States, NJ, Gloucester County
Joined Feb 2015
17 Posts
Question
How to fix broken fuselage boom mount? Nitroplanes Swift glider

Hi guys,

I recently purchase a nitroplanes swift glider which I crash on the 2 flight

Now that I have more time I wanted to fix it, but I don't know how to align the boom with the fuselage... Any ideas?

I already sanded both surfaces. Here the pictures

I've got some z proxy and fiber glass cloth to work on it.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
lashidalgo is offline Find More Posts by lashidalgo
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:08 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,758 Posts
Hmmm. You might be able to use a cardboard tube inside the boom to hold things in place until the glue sets. The tube from a roll of toilet paper, split and wrapped with plastic, just might work.

Cheers!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 19, 2016, 04:01 PM
Find More Posts by lashidalgo
United States, NJ, Gloucester County
Joined Feb 2015
17 Posts
I was thinking in making an inner fiberglass tube somehow, but the real problem here is not how you glue it, the problem is how you make sure that the boom is aligned perfectly.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
lashidalgo is offline Find More Posts by lashidalgo
Old Jul 20, 2016, 02:31 AM
Find More Posts by renatoa
Romania, Dolj, Craiova
Joined Sep 2007
19,520 Posts
Search for a fishing rod segment that fits perfectly inside the boom, after removing the wrecks of former pod pipe.
It is stronger than a typical glider boom, and has a slight taper, about 1 mm at 25 cm, perfect for a good friction based jointing, as the fishing rod segments are usually assembled together
Cut a piece long enough to have a solid join each side, I think 10 cm is enough, 5cm in each side.
Aligning is not an issue, use a string going from tail end to motor shaft as alignment guide.
Fit the joining piece in the boom without any glue, and glue only inside pod using 20 min epoxy with microballoons.
For my pod and boom fuselages I never glue the boom ! Just firmly fit the boom on the pipe, and tape the jointing line with 2 layers of clear tape, will never cease in flight but could act as a fuse at impact If the boom-pipe connection has a play put some layers of tape on the pod pipe until the join is made very firm only by friction.
renatoa is online now Find More Posts by renatoa