New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2016, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by A-37
Cortland OH
Joined Dec 2007
766 Posts
Discussion
Kroker Motors

An eBay seller had six NIB Kroker Wasp motors for which he was asking a starting bid of $800 (each!!).

How did the Kroker compare with similar AstroFlight motors as far as performance and quality?
A-37 is offline Find More Posts by A-37
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2016, 12:57 PM
Find More Posts by AirDOGGe
Just Plane Nutts
United States, CA, Mountain View
Joined Dec 2011
1,816 Posts
We were discussing it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ghlight=kroker

I guess he is still trying. Good luck.
AirDOGGe is offline Find More Posts by AirDOGGe
Old Jul 04, 2016, 01:11 PM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,516 Posts
I'd say both are equal in quality. Kroker & Astro Flight are precision made. Performance? Here's a spec sheet for the Kroker line, couldn't find anything online for the Astro Flight.
The Krokers are way better looking IMHO.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jul 04, 2016, 07:14 PM
Just Plane Nutts
Joined Dec 2011
1,816 Posts
Th Astroflight motors are optimized for flight use, hence their lightweight construction. I remember them being popular for powered RC gliders in the 80's when electric planes were still heavy and under-powered.

The Krokers are overbuilt for heavy duty marine use in an enclosed hull for long periods. They were built more like an industrial motor.
Old Jul 04, 2016, 09:43 PM
Find More Posts by Kmot
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
25,574 Posts
Well, AstroFlight also made several marine motors that were used for years by boat modelers.
Kmot is online now Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jul 05, 2016, 12:02 AM
Just Plane Nutts
Joined Dec 2011
1,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmot View Post
Well, AstroFlight also made several marine motors that were used for years by boat modelers.
Yes, they also have a few marine-related accessories on their website like cooling jackets and motor couplers, and I've used one of their cobalt motors in a LeMans-style street car, but they are mainly aviation-related: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AstroFlight
Old Jul 05, 2016, 12:50 AM
Find More Posts by ZZ56
Nickel Belter
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Jun 2009
1,077 Posts
I have an AstroFlite 208D speed controller, it's a wonderful unit.

Their motors are so pricy, though, and if I really needed a high-performance unit like that I'd go brushless for a fraction of the price.
ZZ56 is offline Find More Posts by ZZ56
Old Jul 07, 2016, 10:09 AM
Find More Posts by RICH404
United States, TX, Frisco
Joined May 2007
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-37 View Post
An eBay seller had six NIB Kroker Wasp motors for which he was asking a starting bid of $800 (each!!).

How did the Kroker compare with similar AstroFlight motors as far as performance and quality?
I found the Astroflight Super-Ferrite 25 to be better suited than the Sea-Wasp in a heavy boat. (Tested in a 27 lb Dauntless) The SeaWasp is happier in lighter boats.

The unloaded RPM's are in favor of the Kroker whereas power is better on the Astro Super-Ferrite 25

For absolute precision, I would nod toward Kroker.

Quality score is a perfect 10 on both motors, unlike the throw-away stuff of today.

-Rich.
RICH404 is offline Find More Posts by RICH404
Last edited by RICH404; Jul 07, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old Jul 07, 2016, 10:16 AM
Joined May 2007
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodybob View Post
I'd say both are equal in quality. Kroker & Astro Flight are precision made. Performance? Here's a spec sheet for the Kroker line, couldn't find anything online for the Astro Flight.
The Krokers are way better looking IMHO.
Astro-flight Super-Ferrite 25's were 9,900 RPM @ 12v. I believe the Sea-Wasp was 10,000RPM @ 12v

-Rich.
Old Jul 07, 2016, 11:05 AM
Find More Posts by woodybob
WooHoo!
Lake Balboa, CA
Joined Jun 2007
5,516 Posts
Kroker included rotation specs right on the motor.
woodybob is offline Find More Posts by woodybob
Old Jul 09, 2016, 04:14 PM
Find More Posts by skibo
United States, WA, Longview
Joined Sep 2012
67 Posts
Concerning the Astro-Flight motors

I have two Astro-Flight Marine geared 25s and had no trouble what so ever with them, they are so smooth running and quality built. I ran them for quite a while in my Sterling 42' Corvette which we all know is a heavy 48" model when loaded with 2, 12 volt 7 amp hour batteries. it ran with twin Dumas scale 1 1/2"props and ran at a very scale speed with the bow at the scale point of plane. I also had two Vantec electronic speed controls with an Ace five channel radio. I never could afford the Sea Wasp motor when I was younger and by the time I could, they were out of business when I bought a Sterling Corvette. My only recourse at the time was an Astro Marine motor, which I chose the geared option which I never regretted! I later sold the boat sans the motors and they are still in prime condition today awaiting the next hull to be built.
Leonce
skibo is offline Find More Posts by skibo
Old Jul 09, 2016, 04:55 PM
Joined May 2007
1,761 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skibo View Post
I have two Astro-Flight Marine geared 25s and had no trouble what so ever with them, they are so smooth running and quality built. I ran them for quite a while in my Sterling 42' Corvette which we all know is a heavy 48" model when loaded with 2, 12 volt 7 amp hour batteries. it ran with twin Dumas scale 1 1/2"props and ran at a very scale speed with the bow at the scale point of plane. I also had two Vantec electronic speed controls with an Ace five channel radio. I never could afford the Sea Wasp motor when I was younger and by the time I could, they were out of business when I bought a Sterling Corvette. My only recourse at the time was an Astro Marine motor, which I chose the geared option which I never regretted! I later sold the boat sans the motors and they are still in prime condition today awaiting the next hull to be built.
Leonce
No need to defend the old Astro 25's. They are one of the best motors ever made for large fast-scale, heavy cruisers.. Here are some pics of my prized Dauntless running on a pair Astro Super-Ferrite 25's direct drive. 1.70" bronze props, Astro Harbor Master ESC's and 11.1V LIPOS

-Rich.