HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2003, 11:32 AM
Portage, Indiana, United States
Joined Mar 2000
87 Posts
Ambushed by Murphey's Law, again

Last night, I was assembling an ARF Viper sailplane made by Wipa Models. The 1 piece D-tube wing included strings for the aileron extensions. I tried to pull in the first extension but it wouldn't go. Then, Mr. Murphy paid a visit.

In my frustrated attempts trying to force the extension thru. I somehow managed to pull the "other" string and it disappeared into the wing. After some choice words that cannot be repeated here, I put the wing on the work bench and watched the other extension attached to the string fall to the floor. More choice words. Now both strings are useless and I have a problem.

I have considered cutting a 1/8" slot in the sheeting and notching the ribs to install each extension but I'm concerned about reducing the strength of the wing. I need some creative solutions or someone to tell me my fix is ok.

I realize that an EZoner would not ever make a stupid mistake like this but I thought that maybe they knew of someone who did and more importantly, how the extensions were installed.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
shamrock is offline Find More Posts by shamrock
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2003, 11:41 AM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Not that this ever happened to me on a Blitz but I know "someone" that used a very thin control rod to re-run a servo wire once or twice. Another thing that I read a while back was to use a long length of the chain that ceiling fan light pulls have. It supposidly is flexable enough to slide around in the wing and drop through. Luckily the thin-flexable control rod worked for the nameless person.
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Mar 09, 2003, 12:00 PM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
Don's thin control cable fishing method sounds pretty good...not that he's ever had to use it...

mw
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Mar 09, 2003, 12:20 PM
Defiance Memorial, Ohio, United States
Joined Jun 2002
35 Posts
Murphy's law

Shamrock,
Here's a method I have used. Get the strings started, take your air hose blowing a stream of air through the hole. The string will follow. Don't use a thousand pounds of air. We don't want to blow your wing up. I have blown a heavy twine through hundreds of feet of conduit for electric wires. I'm sure this will help. Just be gentle with the air. If it doesn't work for you, forget I said anything.
Mose
Mose is offline Find More Posts by Mose
Old Mar 09, 2003, 01:44 PM
large member
beside the highway market
Joined Jan 2003
280 Posts
compressed air bottles from the computer store have a very small nozzle like a can of wd45,it can be inserted in the holes to feed in a small line as mose explained,,worked for me!

or you could CA a pcs of thread onto an ants butt! believe it or not,they will crawl threw but dont tell anyone

,,,,vario
vario is offline Find More Posts by vario
Old Mar 09, 2003, 01:49 PM
Portage, Indiana, United States
Joined Mar 2000
87 Posts
Mose,

A "Thank you" for your blowing the string idea. I modified it bit and it worked great.

I tied a small knot on one end of the string (to act as a mouse) and used a vaccum cleaner to suck the string from the aileron end to the center hole. Very slick, super simple.

Both strings are now installed. I'm right back where I was last night - but with no headaches. Who said sparkies could not fix any problem!

Thanks again
shamrock is offline Find More Posts by shamrock
Old Mar 09, 2003, 02:03 PM
Hmm, kerosene... :)
Weert(LB) - the Netherlands
Joined May 2002
953 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vario
or you could CA a pcs of thread onto an ants butt! believe it or not,they will crawl threw but dont tell anyone

,,,,vario
LOL

Do you speak from experience??
NightSwan is offline Find More Posts by NightSwan
Old Mar 09, 2003, 02:04 PM
Outside of Dyer, Tn. USA
Joined May 2000
7,135 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vario

,,,,vario
Vario,
I wouldn't use a Carpenter Ant or Fireant. either would lead to bug trouble, my wife says to use a Cockroach...
Don
Don Sims is offline Find More Posts by Don Sims
Old Mar 09, 2003, 07:51 PM
Torrance, CA, USA
Joined Jan 2001
139 Posts
Shamrock,

Great idea and glad it worked. I have always said "desperation is the mother of invention"!

Vario,

That knock on your front door is the "PETA" police. Hide the bottle of CA and ditch the ant out the back door.

Steve
Steve Diebolt is offline Find More Posts by Steve Diebolt
Old Mar 09, 2003, 09:05 PM
large member
beside the highway market
Joined Jan 2003
280 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Diebolt
Shamrock,

Vario,

That knock on your front door is the "PETA" police. Hide the bottle of CA and ditch the ant out the back door.

Steve

lol so what do you think guys believe it or not???

ants are very strong,they love tunnels,they wont walk backwards,they cant turn around????
vario is offline Find More Posts by vario
Old Mar 10, 2003, 12:09 AM
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
26,500 Posts
D'OH!!

I completely forgot a "mouse". Yup. Leave it to a Sparkie. Good fix!

mw (30 yrs in the trade)
Mark Wood is offline Find More Posts by Mark Wood