HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:24 PM
I love FPV!
Eastern side of Australia
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Discussion
Would like to get a Slow Park Flyer - GWS Slow Stick?

Hi guys.

I'm an intermediate R/C Heli flyer. I have a DX7 controlling my 3 helis. I'm thinking of making betting a nice slow dosile park slow flyer. One that has caught my eye is the GWS Slow Stick. I'm yet to find prices for it, as well as repair costs, but it seems like what I want. To fly around a park in now wind at close to walking speed... Wonderful.

Can anyone point me to a good deal? And can anyone tell me if this would be a good first plane to get? I'd like to use my DX7 radio, so I'd like to run an AR6100 or something on it. Possible?

Hope you can help.
Cralis is offline Find More Posts by Cralis
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2008, 10:55 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
I've been looking to build it up, and so far, all I know is this:

I'd get either a AR6100 (4gms) or a AR6300 (2gms). The 6300 is $10 more than the 6100. With it, saving 2gms?

Servos: Would Hitec HS81s be OK?

ESC: NO idea....
Battery: Would prefer Lipo
Motor: NO idea... Does the packagae come with one?

What else?
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:11 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
The GWS Slow Stick is highly recommended by many, including me, as a first RC plane. It is very docile and just floats through the air. It is three channel (throttle, elevator and rudder) with a dihedral to the main wing that makes the plane self righting - the plane wants to remain right side up. The normal plane comes with a brushed motor so all you would need is a ESC for a brushed motor, 2 servos for the elevator and rudder, a battery, and your AR6100 with DX7. Since you have the tx and rx you could get one in the air for under $100 American. And it is easy to upgrade to brushless with a motor and ESC.

CG on this plane is easy to adjust by just sliding the main wing forward or backward on the stick. But CG also is the most important step in the set up to make the plane fly nice. They are just fun to fly and are big enough to go as high as you like.

Many, like me, have moved on to 4 channel planes but keep the Slow Stick for relaxing flight. You will not go wrong with the Slow Stick. Do some searches here at RCGroups on the Slow Stick and you will see it recommended time and again as a beginner, entry level RC plane.

Good luck.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:21 PM
Livermore, CA
Joined Sep 2004
8,583 Posts
The Slow Stick is a nice calm day parkflyer. Even cheaper to buy and set-up is the Pico Stick and Pico Cub. They fly just as slow and use smaller motor/esc, batt and servos. A cheap brushless motor and esc is only $22. something. Servos at the same place are under $5.00.
But with either one, calm weather is a must till you get the hang of it. Butch
Butch777 is offline Find More Posts by Butch777
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:22 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Freddy. Very keen on this plane. I'm in Australia, and I've called a few shops - all say no stock, and they can't get right now. And I'm battling to find an international retailer who sells them.

Would HS81 servos be OK?
I found an artical that mentions getting a Castle Creations ESC. But not sure which one works with the AR6100/AR6300. Battling to work out a price. I don't have a RX yet, so will get either the AR6100 or the AR6300.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:26 PM
Just having fun
United States, KY, Hopkinsville
Joined Feb 2008
2,094 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cralis
I've been looking to build it up, and so far, all I know is this:

I'd get either a AR6100 (4gms) or a AR6300 (2gms). The 6300 is $10 more than the 6100. With it, saving 2gms?

Servos: Would Hitec HS81s be OK?

ESC: NO idea....
Battery: Would prefer Lipo
Motor: NO idea... Does the packagae come with one?

What else?
Either rx is fine. The Slow Stick has lots of wing and lots of lift and weight like you are talking is not a problem. Many have mounted a camera to this plane. The Hitec HS-81 servos would be fine too.

As for motor, esc and battery there are many choices. The Slow Stick normally comes with either a 350 or 400 geared brushed motor. Any brushed ESC rated around 12 to 15 amps will work fine and either motor could be powered by a 2 cell LiPo. Around 1500mAh would give good flight times of 15 minutes or so.

You can also get the Slow Stick with no motor and then choose a small brushless 400 size motor and power it with a 3 cell LiPo and a 15 amp brushless ESC. Lots more power but you will not use it all. The plane is most fun and relaxing just gliding around at slow speed.

The Slow Stick adapts to about anything you want to put on it within reason. I have a Hyperion Sport 400 geared, brushless inrunner on my Slow Stick and I power it with a 2200mAh 3 cell LiPo. This power system is really overkill but I like it. I can fly for up to 30 minutes of easy flight.

Freddy
Fredriksson is offline Find More Posts by Fredriksson
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:38 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks.
I have found where I will buy from.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCJ2&P=M
They have good prices on the HS81 as well.
This plane comes with a 400?? Brushed engine. I'd prefer brushless, right? I would prefer to run Lipos. So, should I get the cheaper version of this plane which has the 300?? brushed engine, and then ditch that for a brushed engine? Can you point out a suitable brushless engine from this site?

Also, props... Seems they sell 10x6 or 11x8 props. Which would be better? I'm just wanting to fly about for as long as possible.
Old Aug 04, 2008, 11:53 PM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Wait!
Just found this!
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...6&cat=0&page=1

Comes with a GWS-BLM003A, which, I think, is a Brushless motor. Would that be suitable?
Old Aug 05, 2008, 12:00 AM
Been There! Done That!
Eugene, Oregon, United States
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks.
I have found where I will buy from.
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHCJ2&P=M
They have good prices on the HS81 as well.
This plane comes with a 400?? Brushed engine. I'd prefer brushless, right? I would prefer to run Lipos. So, should I get the cheaper version of this plane which has the 300?? brushed engine, and then ditch that for a brushed engine? Can you point out a suitable brushless engine from this site?

Also, props... Seems they sell 10x6 or 11x8 props. Which would be better? I'm just wanting to fly about for as long as possible.
Get this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXTRH4&P=7
and this:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJUT9&P=M
Just add:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXHHY0&P=M
and a 2S 7.2V lipo of about 2000 size and RX and your HS-81 servos and your good to go.
boomer
boomerace is offline Find More Posts by boomerace
Old Aug 05, 2008, 12:20 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Thanks Boomer.
How does this sound:

Slow Stick w/BLM003A, Red ($51.30)
Spektrum AR6300 Receiver ($59.99)
2 x HS-81 Servo Micro Universal ($17 * 2 = $34)
Phoenix-10 Lite Speed Control, Brushless ($60)
EVO2518002S LiPo 7.4V 1800mAh 25C EVO25-18002S Balance ($35)

$240 total... ouch...
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:06 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Thanks Boomer.
How does this sound:

Slow Stick w/BLM003A, Red ($51.30)
Spektrum AR6300 Receiver ($59.99)
2 x HS-81 Servo Micro Universal ($17 * 2 = $34)
Phoenix-10 Lite Speed Control, Brushless ($60)
EVO2518002S LiPo 7.4V 1800mAh 25C EVO25-18002S Balance ($35)

$240 total... ouch...
Hey it's only money!
boomer
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:11 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Yeah... my wife doesn't quite see it that way...
Would all thsoe part be OK? Can I maybe save on any of them?

Also, I guess the fact that I am trying to go brushless is adding extra cost. Why go brushless? Can you still use Lipos with a brushed motor? Do you get more flight time and power from a brushless?
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:24 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
Quote:
Yeah... my wife doesn't quite see it that way...
Would all thsoe part be OK? Can I maybe save on any of them?

Also, I guess the fact that I am trying to go brushless is adding extra cost. Why go brushless? Can you still use Lipos with a brushed motor? Do you get more flight time and power from a brushless?
Advantage of brushless is more power and longer flight times and unless you destroy it in a crash it lasts forever. (No brushes to wear out)
List looks good!
boomer
Old Aug 05, 2008, 01:30 AM
Been There! Done That!
Joined Sep 2001
19,187 Posts
You can save some by using this speed control
http://www.advantagehobby.com/produc...cat=359&page=4
will work great!
boomer
Old Aug 05, 2008, 03:23 AM
I love FPV!
Joined Jan 2007
4,650 Posts
Ok, speaking to my wife tonight. Someone mentioned the Multiplex easy star as a better option. I want slow and calm. The slow stick would be better. no?