HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:22 PM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
After a much fiddling, I have been finally able to install XPS into my Pike Perfect. The canopy of this plane is too narrow to carry the RFU, like I have done on other planes, but I was able to bury the X- 10 in the nose and fit the RFU on top with absolutely no room to spare. I don't really like having the whiskers sticking out but that is the only way I have found to get away from the metal servos, ballast bar, wires and battery in this skinny fuse.

It will fly this week…

Steve
Steve Adams is offline Find More Posts by Steve Adams
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:25 PM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
Here's the photo
Old May 07, 2014, 08:54 PM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
Bad RFU ?

Well, the first thing I did at the field today was a range check and I could only get about 10 feet away from the plane before losing contact and the LED's turned red. I checked all connections and even removed all the gear from the plane and tried rebinding and still no more range was possible. The LED's were green when I was standing next to the plane. I had a another new spare RFU and X-10 at home so I retrieved the parts and first tried changing the RFU and presto, it passed the range test. So I reinstalled the gear and did another range test and flew the rest of the afternoon with no problems.

I am assuming the RFU is bad so I am returning it and will wait for a report.

ALWAYS do a range test…

Steve
Old May 07, 2014, 10:47 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,939 Posts
I have seen two RFUs with bad range, but they had the power plugged in backwards to them (admitted by the customer). So, it may be possible that if the RFU doesn't die immediately (it should) that it has damage to the RF module. Definitely range test, especially new setups.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2014, 12:43 AM
USA, WA, Spokane
Joined Mar 2005
35 Posts
I am positive that was never plugged in wrong and it was new so it will be interesting to see what you find. It will ship tomorrow.

thanks,
Steve