HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:18 PM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,581 Posts
Ace, the new bits look good. I have not used shoe goo but for years I have been using a product called E6000 (available in electronics stores and Lowes/Home Depot/Amazon, etc.). It is similar to shoe goo and works very well. Years ago, I glued a throttle servo to the top of an intake for one of my jets. When I went to remove the servo, I ended up delaminating the fiberglass intake rather than remove the servo. Ended up "stretching" the E-600 and cutting it away with a knife.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all. Please be safe.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:29 PM
RC Fanatic
USA, NC, Greensboro
Joined Mar 2002
1,457 Posts
Wouldn't mind seeing that baby inaction. Very nice work.
Reco is offline Find More Posts by Reco
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:46 PM
Clear Skies & Contrails
Edwards AFB, CA
Joined May 2009
2,896 Posts
Great progress Jim....looking forward to seeing the Euro back in the air soon!
xplaneguy is online now Find More Posts by xplaneguy
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 13, 2014, 10:46 PM
United States, NM, Clovis
Joined Oct 2011
3,672 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by A10pilot View Post
Ace, the new bits look good. I have not used shoe goo but for years I have been using a product called E6000 (available in electronics stores and Lowes/Home Depot/Amazon, etc.). It is similar to shoe goo and works very well. Years ago, I glued a throttle servo to the top of an intake for one of my jets. When I went to remove the servo, I ended up delaminating the fiberglass intake rather than remove the servo. Ended up "stretching" the E-600 and cutting it away with a knife.

Merry Christmas and happy new year to all. Please be safe.

Ed
Do you use the E6000 on foam? I thought I read somewhere that it isnt foam safe...
DamonH is offline Find More Posts by DamonH
Last edited by DamonH; Dec 13, 2014 at 10:54 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2014, 09:48 AM
United States, TX, Schertz
Joined Mar 2006
1,581 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonH View Post
Do you use the E6000 on foam? I thought I read somewhere that it isnt foam safe...
Damon:
No, the E6000 likes to eat the white Styrofoam and the blue Dow foam for breakfast. so don't use it on foam.

Ed
A10pilot is offline Find More Posts by A10pilot
Old Dec 14, 2014, 11:12 AM
United States, NV, Fernley
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Same with Shoe Goo. However, I have fixed many a plane with Shoe Goo that is EPO foam like the FMS models. I always test a small spot for several minutes when applying to foam.

I have a week before my road trip. So I thought to share the new design of the front retract box. I should be able to get it assembled and tested before I leave. The new huge laser that John uses to cut my parts is amazing, really clean and precise cuts. I just do my layout in a vector drawing app and save it as EPS format then email it to him. He cuts then shoots it off to me.

Today, I'm driving this file over to him so that we can demo his newest laser to some of our club members. Check out some of his work below. This link will take you to my pull pull steering arm then just navigate to his laser cutting section.

Example of the design. Blue is for engraving such has text. Green is for cutting first then all the red is the second cut. So by cutting green first it stops the part from shifting before the outside cuts. So all green is cut first due to them being inside part cuts. The order in this case is Blue, Green, Red. I use a Mac where the laser is connected to Windows (yuck) So all I do is make the fonts using Ariel and all lines at 1/4 point then save has an EPS (encapsulated Post Script) which most printers etc use. We have also cut plain PDF files. So that is a quick lesson on laser parts. Enjoy............

http://lasercuttingbyjohn.com/produc...g-control-arm/
acesimmer is offline Find More Posts by acesimmer
Old Dec 14, 2014, 02:57 PM
EDF Jet Jam 2015, May 28-31st
United States, MO, St Charles
Joined Nov 2002
1,777 Posts
Hi acesimmer,
really nice work you are doing. Just curious about one thing. How come the mount for the steering servo is T-shaped?

Dan Eaton
eatond is offline Find More Posts by eatond
Old Dec 14, 2014, 05:37 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Dan, good question. Due to the deep placement inside the front fuselage and the fact that the box installs inverted. The servo ends up being upside down. The T hole allows the servo to be placed or removed with the control arm in place. This may be removed on the final version if I go with a removable box which is more than likely. Tomorrow I'll build the new box which just got cut and take a pic.

John the laser cutter also just cut a bunch of new style club badges out of plastic while we visited him today. They have a nice depth and feel like really good quality. Mine is shown in the pic
Last edited by acesimmer; Dec 14, 2014 at 05:43 PM.
Old Dec 15, 2014, 06:39 PM
Joined Oct 2011
2,135 Posts
Today I assembled the latest Nose gear box. Fit together perfectly with all joints nice and tight. I added guide tabs inside on the sides to guide the control lines. I still need to move these 3/8" due to changing the steering servo. I simply flipped the servo upside down so now it is accessible from the new air brake access hatch. So now I can glue the box just like the others which worked fine. Everything is easy to maintain for changing out parts. The spacer design under the retract works great for adjusting the nose strut height. I always felt the strut was to long but had no more shaft to cut without losing all suspension. Now it is perfect.

EuroFighter Nose Gear Box V2 (0 min 34 sec)
Old Dec 16, 2014, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2008
540 Posts
Ace,

Nicely done!

al
rossaer is offline Find More Posts by rossaer