HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:01 PM
Klassische Segelflugzeuge
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Studied your photos again, does look like the beesknees.

Qs...
- What aileron stock did you use?
- Hinges or tape?
- Servos are the stock units also? Do you notice the servo weight hanging out on the wings?
studioRS is offline Find More Posts by studioRS
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:51 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I used 3/8"X1 1/2" stock from Esprit then just cut it in half. Then I removed as much material as I needed from the leading edge. I should have sanded them a bit more before I painted them because, after I hinged them, they stick out about 1/16" from the trailing edge.

http://www.espritmodel.com/balsastoc...ge36915mm.aspx

I used tape hinges and went with HXT900 servos from Hobby King. There wasn't anything apparently wrong with the stock servos but I put them through a bit of punishment carving them out of the wing roots and I had the 900s on hand. I can't say that I notice any issues with the weight but, since I have about three times the aileron sensitivity, I don't know how it would manifest a problem.

The only thing I might change is to go with a Z-bend on the servo end and an EZ connector on the control horn. The pushrods are only 1 1/2" long and the threaded portion of the rod is into the EZ connectors on the servos so it's a bit of a process to adjust the length. They work just fine but it ended up being a bit of a cobble job.
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:48 PM
Joined Nov 2003
1,326 Posts
Hi,
I was wondering if this is the same ASW28 offered by Tower Hobbies?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACFX&P=ML
Also can you point to the dihedral mod made to it and flying weight?
Thanks,
Ray
kostuk is offline Find More Posts by kostuk
Old Sep 24, 2012, 09:05 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, Ray.

Mine is the ST Models from Tower. For the dihedral mod I wanted to use 1/4" aluminum but it wouldn't fit inside the provided CF tube so I used 3/16" steel rod 8 inches long. I cut the stock joiner in half then I bent the steel rod to 5 degrees. Then I wrapped the ends and middle of the rod with Skyloft (basically very thin fiberglass cloth made out of nylon) until it fit tight. Then I soaked the Skyloft with thinned epoxy and filled the rest of the area with epoxy thickened with talcum powder. I did one half at a time and let it set with the steel end down so that the very center would be filled even if there was a void towards the end.

My flying weight, depending on which battery I'm using, is 600-650 grams. That's with three coats of paint, the aforementioned steel joiner, an aluminum spinner, and the aileron mod. I'm also using a 1050kv motor and ESC from a little foam Extra 300 but, although I don't worry about using a 3 cell battery, it's a pretty wimpy motor. I didn't have a watt meter when I had the stock motor in it but the new one only puts out about 100 watts. The stock power train and prop is adequate but still a rather sedate rate of climb. Feel free to ask if I've left anything out.

Cheers!
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:47 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostuk View Post
Hi,
I was wondering if this is the same ASW28 offered by Tower Hobbies?
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXACFX&P=ML
Also can you point to the dihedral mod made to it and flying weight?
Thanks,
Ray
Yes, correct the ST Model ASW-28 from Tower. Just wait for free shipping on $99 or more.

Peter nailed it on the dihedreal mod, I think my version might need epoxying. I choose a tighter fit aluminium stock (an old tent camping peg) and sanded some to fit snug inside the carbon spar, CA glued together. After a few aggressive flights and dives this has come unglued. Peter's fix should do it.

Here is a photo of my dihedreal mod, pilot for inspection (he must not have been paying attention at the time appearently...)
Old Sep 25, 2012, 01:39 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
I realized that I forgot to link to Skyloft. It's tough to use with paint on solid foam or a sheeted surface because of the way it stretches and shrinks but I use it instead of fiberglass for reinforcing. I've also done some medium sized areas with epoxy or CA and it works great.

http://www.dbproducts.com/store/skyl.htm
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:35 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
canopy

any link to a canopy for the 28?
hk does not carry it, and i have no idea who does.

or, who makes the plane?
maybe he can supply it.
i got an extra fuse and would like to get the canopy for it.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Old Sep 30, 2012, 08:00 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, phil.

Mine came from Tower Hobbies so it might be worth giving them a call or you could try reaching ST models.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:54 PM
Windsor, Canada, near Detroit
Joined Jul 2007
5,227 Posts
link

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, phil.

Mine came from Tower Hobbies so it might be worth giving them a call or you could try reaching ST models.
thanks. tried tower but they don't have a toll free to canada, and their list does not show the canopy.
then tried google and found ripmax in england, that carries it, but it is 6 pounds sterling, + sh (who knows how much more).
as a comparison, they carry the spare fuselage for 25 pounds, compared with us$12 that i paid hk.
but can't find my way to buy it. anybody knows how to order from them? their website does not show.
and i have been unable to order from st. no price list, ordering data.
thanks
phil alvirez is offline Find More Posts by phil alvirez
Last edited by phil alvirez; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:13 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:36 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
230 Posts
Hi guys

I have only just noticed this sailplane when looking online last week, I think that here in the UK our suppliers are only just starting to stock them, or I haven't noticed them before, and after looking at this forum I think that I have got to get one, it is such a lovely looking sailplane,and you guys seem to to love them.
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:13 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Hi, iwchris.

She is really beautiful in the air and soars pretty well for a 2 meter scale foamy. However, there is a bit of work involved in getting the best out of the airframe. It's not terribly hard or expensive to get dialed in but I do not consider it ready to fly out of the box. The ailerons in particular leave much to be desired and I did have to change a servo, due to poor centering, before I even flew it. All that being said; i really do enjoy flying her. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:10 AM
Isle of Wight (UK)
Joined Oct 2010
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlngh View Post
Hi, iwchris.

She is really beautiful in the air and soars pretty well for a 2 meter scale foamy. However, there is a bit of work involved in getting the best out of the airframe. It's not terribly hard or expensive to get dialed in but I do not consider it ready to fly out of the box. The ailerons in particular leave much to be desired and I did have to change a servo, due to poor centering, before I even flew it. All that being said; i really do enjoy flying her. Feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
Thanks Peter, I don't mind having to do a bit to a model of this type, I have ST Model Blaze and have done quite a bit to that over two years of flying, guess I will asking a few questions on the ASW when I get it.
Thanks
Chris
iwchris is offline Find More Posts by iwchris
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:13 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil alvirez View Post
any link to a canopy for the 28?
hk does not carry it, and i have no idea who does.

or, who makes the plane?
maybe he can supply it.
i got an extra fuse and would like to get the canopy for it.
thanks
I called Towerhobbies.com and inquired about a replacement canopy, even asked about looking in their spares bin. Unfortunately, they don't have any. If you are lucky enough to find one used great.

I'm going to inquire about a spare through the UK and use my original to make a plug from and then make a few spares with soda bottles.
Last edited by studioRS; Oct 01, 2012 at 07:18 AM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 07:35 AM
Northern Vermont
Joined Jul 2010
1,394 Posts
Gents, I just inquired about spare canopies through Sussex Model Centre in the UK. They've been around for ever, extremely responsive (a Ripmax / ST Model distributor) and are really great to deal with. I've sourced the Art-Tech ASK-21 spinner and propeller set from them before, which i use on my ASW-28 and shipping to USA was easy. MoF, I have another order in for more spinners and props and will advise on the ASW-28 canopy.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:57 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,831 Posts
Welcome to the club, iwchris!

I just wanted to be clear about the ASW 28 needing some work. It's a good airframe at a very good price but one will see reviews panning it from guys who don't fix its problems.

Now? I'm off to see if I can rip the wings off with a HK 2834 motor!