HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 01, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined May 2011
64 Posts
Contest
ALES, Fall Soaring Festival

OK all you ALES guys, CVRC is going to add a ALES class to the Fall Fest.
This will not be MOM but you will be scored against other ALES pilots.
150m limit.
Registration is now open. Go to <rcsoaring.com> click on "contests". You can either register on line or use the mail in form.
More information coming.
cflyer1 is offline Find More Posts by cflyer1
Last edited by cflyer1; Aug 01, 2012 at 05:55 PM. Reason: ,,,,,,
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 01, 2012, 08:01 PM
Okanagan Falls. British columbia. Canada
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Ales?

If it is not MOM then it is not an ALES contest.
knormang is offline Find More Posts by knormang
Old Aug 01, 2012, 09:44 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,779 Posts
It is modified ALES as the CD said, my god, give em a break!
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 01, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, CA, Folsom
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by knormang View Post
If it is not MOM then it is not an ALES contest.
Absolutely, categorically wrong. It may not be acceptable for the ALES league competition, but it certainly is an ALES event at a contest.

As I understand it ALES stands for "Alititude Limited Electric Sailplane". Nowhere in this definition does it say that the only way to fly an ALES event is by the ALES league rules.

The concept that the narrow definition which the ALES league lives by is the only possible way to utilize an ALES equipped plane is flawed and self-defeating. Placing this kind of artificial limitation on how an ALES event can be formulated and run is the easiest way to kill it before it really blossoms and becomes mainstream.

Time to start thinking outside the box and embracing the possibilities, not the elitist attitude of "my way or the highway".

JT (2012 SVSS Summer Soaring Challenge CD and instigator of the ALES inclusion into the contest)
jtlsf5 is offline Find More Posts by jtlsf5
Old Aug 02, 2012, 07:02 AM
Soaring Circuits
Coopersburg, PA
Joined Sep 2001
1,974 Posts
I'd like to clarify something. The rules which you are referring to are not ALES League rules. They are the Altitude Limited Electric Soaring rules that have provisional status with the AMA and can be seen here. The ALES League follows those rules so that participants can compete on a level playing field.

Neither the ALES League nor the originators of the ALES format have ever claimed that this should be the only format of electric soaring based on altitude limitations just as RES or TD or F3J don't claim that they are the only form of winch based soaring.

Randy
rcbrust is offline Find More Posts by rcbrust
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:41 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Ales

If we are to see different types of contests for Altitude Limited Electric Sailplanes , then to prevent any further confusion on anybodys part , maybe we shall now have to add to the title of our events. The Ales we are presently flying and the type that is required by the ALES league will have to be posted as ALES MOM or maybe ALES League.Ken.
Last edited by knormang; Aug 02, 2012 at 04:46 PM. Reason: delete
Old Aug 02, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Nov 2006
366 Posts
Ales

If we are to see different types of contests for Altitude Limited Electric Sailplanes , then to prevent any further confusion on anybodys part , maybe we shall now have to add to the title of our events. The Ales we are presently flying and the type that is required by the ALES league will have to be posted as ALES MOM or maybe ALES League.Ken.
Old Aug 02, 2012, 06:43 PM
Good for what ALES you
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Jan 2009
456 Posts
Randy confirmed my understanding that ALES was a term created to describe a very specific Man-on-Man contest format using electric planes equipped with limiters. The League was formed to promote this new contest format and to recognize pilots that fly in events that follow the ALES rules.

Recently the flying community began to use the term ALES to describe the class of planes that meet the ALES contest requirements. Innovative CDs recognized this new ‘class’ of sailplanes and looked for ways to integrate them alongside their TD brethren.

The organizers of the League put many years effort developing this new contest format and like a good CD they are following the rules that they set out and only recognize events flown in the Man-On-Man format as specified in the first sentence of the ALES rules. I have gotten no sense of any elitist attitude associated with ALES, only the enthusiasm surrounding the introduction of a new contest format.
awilmunder is online now Find More Posts by awilmunder
Old Aug 02, 2012, 08:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcbrust View Post
I'd like to clarify something. The rules which you are referring to are not ALES League rules. They are the Altitude Limited Electric Soaring rules that have provisional status with the AMA and can be seen here. The ALES League follows those rules so that participants can compete on a level playing field.

Neither the ALES League nor the originators of the ALES format have ever claimed that this should be the only format of electric soaring based on altitude limitations just as RES or TD or F3J don't claim that they are the only form of winch based soaring.

Randy
Randy,
I'm fully aware of exactly how this came to be. I was the LSF Treasurer for the previous 4 years, have been part of the LSF-AMA Nats management team for nearly 20 years, and a CD for 31 years. Jim Deck and I tried (unsuccessfully) to try to incorporate electric launched sailplanes into the LSF soaring and accomplishment program.

The point of my reply was that artificial limitations are just that, artificial. This kind of thinking will not help electric launched sailplanes become commonly accepted and practiced within the general soaring competition community. The more options there are, the more rapidly various soaring communites will be able to adapt and adopt the concept.

Finally, I don't care if its called ALES, WALES, SNAILS or anything else. We're talking electric launched sailplanes, and until the acronym ALES contains specific language restricting it to one type of competition, it will continue to become a more mainstream term for electric launched sailplanes.

JT
Last edited by jtlsf5; Aug 02, 2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old Aug 03, 2012, 12:25 AM
1984 is no longer fiction
United States
Joined Mar 2012
426 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cflyer1 View Post
OK all you ALES guys, CVRC is going to add a ALES class to the Fall Fest.
This will not be MOM but you will be scored against other ALES pilots.
150m limit.
Registration is now open. Go to <rcsoaring.com> click on "contests". You can either register on line or use the mail in form.
More information coming.
It seems like a lost opportunity. The ability for MOM scoring is an attractive aspect of ALES. Too bad they can't fully showcase the fastest growing movement of our sport.
But that being said, hats off to the guys in Visalia for including ALES.
Good people.
Great flying site.
Fantastic air.

Scott
War is Peace is offline Find More Posts by War is Peace
Last edited by War is Peace; Aug 03, 2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: .
Old Aug 03, 2012, 07:56 AM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,779 Posts
I suppose all this griping could be fixed by the CVRC club scrubbing the "ALES" from the Fall Fest, how would that make everyone feel? If I didn't know better, I would think there were a bunch of old women flying models, good grief, get a grip! (And those who know me know I am really holding back here!)
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Aug 16, 2012, 08:30 PM
Joined May 2011
64 Posts
ALES addition

we are going to hold a MOM ALES event on Friday at the Fall Fest. This is a addition to the contest. Nothing changes for saturday and sunday.
Check post 33 in the sailplane events section regarding the Fall Fest for more info.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:47 PM
AMA 3959
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Oct 2002
1,471 Posts
its on!

ALES Friday
We are going offer an ALES M.O.M. event on Friday the 5th before the Fall Fest.
So set your limiters for 200m and join in for another day soaring fun.
Kent Nogy <kentnogy@concentric.net> is the man with Mark Taylor and Al Strahm as backup.
We have three major sponsors for this event. Horizon Hobby, Soaring USA and Kennedy Composites. There donations will be what your flying for.
There will be a $20.00 entry fee. Sign up at the field Friday morning. Pilots meeting at 11:30 with flying at noon.
This should give all who need time to travel.
Nothing changes for Saturday and Sunday. This is an addition too.
The top lawn will be closed to all practice during the event. But the basin will be mowed and open for those who choose.
see ya at the field
alstrahm is offline Find More Posts by alstrahm
Old Aug 17, 2012, 07:35 PM
Joined Jul 2007
2,579 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alstrahm View Post
ALES Friday
We are going offer an ALES M.O.M. event on Friday the 5th before the Fall Fest.
So set your limiters for 200m and join in for another day soaring fun.
Kent Nogy <kentnogy@concentric.net> is the man with Mark Taylor and Al Strahm as backup.
We have three major sponsors for this event. Horizon Hobby, Soaring USA and Kennedy Composites. There donations will be what your flying for.
There will be a $20.00 entry fee. Sign up at the field Friday morning. Pilots meeting at 11:30 with flying at noon.
This should give all who need time to travel.
Nothing changes for Saturday and Sunday. This is an addition too.
The top lawn will be closed to all practice during the event. But the basin will be mowed and open for those who choose.
see ya at the field

Al, does this mean the ALES launch/landing could be playing dodge-plane with those play/practice flying from the basin? There are usually some on the north side basin with winches/histarts setup, and this could conflict.

JT
Old Aug 17, 2012, 09:25 PM
Joined May 2011
64 Posts
dodge ball

I'm sure that it will be less of a problem than having 30+ in the air at one time, with launches continuing as fast as we can.
That's a 40 acre basin with another 640 of farm land surrounding it.
don't see it as a problem.