HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 24, 2014, 04:44 PM
Making wood fly since 2007
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Bill, when you have a minute could you tell me how much the wing of your Art Hobby DLG weighs?

Thanks,

Wayne
Windependence is offline Find More Posts by Windependence
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 04, 2014, 02:27 PM
Joined Mar 2011
53 Posts
Dynamic Soaring Last Weekend

I was out on a certain ridge by Rochester dynamic soaring last weekend. Still only seem to get maybe for laps at the most but I did that many times. The videos you see on the Internet make it look so easy to fly these perfect circuits.

http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/20...g-weekend.html

It was fun and I didn't break anything very bad.

Wayne I will have to weigh the Hyper DL wing, it is not the lightest.

Bill Kuhl
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Old Nov 04, 2014, 04:00 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Hi Gang! I've been having some email hassles with the MRCSS newz, but anyway, on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, we're having a special DLG setup discussion.I hope to be there with a couple semi completed birds!
Johnny
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
Old Dec 04, 2014, 12:29 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hello everyone,

I have been listening the extend weather forecast for next week and it looks like there might be a little warm front coming through. Sounds like 40's are a real possibility for next week. I have Tuesday and Thursday afternoon off of work next week and I am giving a lot of thought to going out and possibly hunting some thermals at the Marion field. Now this is obviously dependent on wind and overall weather conditions but, if things look good I may be out doing some December flying.

I mention this now so that if any of you are interested in joining me on the field you will have plenty of heads up. Let's hope for the best.

Wayne
Old Dec 04, 2014, 02:22 PM
Joined Mar 2011
53 Posts
I was out flying my DLG last Saturday in Winona when it was 45 degrees. Trying to spin around and launch in a field with snow and tall grass kept me plenty warm without a coat. Didn't find much for thermals but it was great to get out. Before that I was home to Rochester and did some indoor flying at Rec, RCC, and Armory. http://scienceguyorg.blogspot.com/20...or-flying.html

Bill Kuhl
ScienceGuyOrg is offline Find More Posts by ScienceGuyOrg
Old Dec 07, 2014, 12:10 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Dec 2006
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Canardly View Post
Hi Gang! I've been having some email hassles with the MRCSS newz, but anyway, on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, we're having a special DLG setup discussion.I hope to be there with a couple semi completed birds!
Johnny
There was a copy of the presentation materials on the newsgroup. I believe I downloaded a copy in case anyone is curious.
kf0s is offline Find More Posts by kf0s
Old Dec 07, 2014, 12:11 PM
United States, MN, Rochester
Joined Dec 2006
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post
Hello everyone,

I have Tuesday and Thursday afternoon off of work next week

Wayne
Wayne,

I'll keep the afternoons in mind. I might be able to sneak out for a bit and join you.
kf0s is offline Find More Posts by kf0s
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:21 AM
United States, MN, White Bear Lake
Joined Aug 2011
110 Posts
MRCSS Presentation Links

Quote:
Originally Posted by kf0s View Post
There was a copy of the presentation materials on the newsgroup. I believe I downloaded a copy in case anyone is curious.
Here are the links to my presentations. If anyone has questions feel free to ask me.

DLG Setup and Tuning

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Taranis and OpenTX

https://docs.google.com/presentation...it?usp=sharing

Cheers!

Dean
mndlg is offline Find More Posts by mndlg
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:27 AM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hi Guys,

I am already thinking about next season. I know, I have a sickness, here it is December and I am thinking about standing in a field looking skyward trying to detect the always elusive lift. This past year I began working on a few things which never really materialized. One of those ideas was an after work evening or two each month where the focus would be on skill building or just getting together to fly. I would like to get that going for next year. It would obviously be hit or miss as to who would be there but it would be an organized evening that people could plan for.

Another thing I would really like to try to do for next year is to have a joint event with the MRCSS club. I think it would be a lot of fun for us to all road trip up to the MRCSS field, or they could come down here, and have a big event. My initial thought was to have 2 person teams consisting of one member from each group. It would be a fun way to meet and get to know each other. The final event format could be anything from traditional MoM to an open launch event. The team idea is just that, an idea. I made some initial inquiries last year and there was interest from both groups to do a joint event but I never got around to working out the details. Hopefully next season it will happen.

Another thing I want to get going on for next season is a better way for all of you to communicate with each other. I have tested a way for all of you to be able to send a broadcast email to the entire Rochester Soaring mailing list. It would be an opt in kind of thing. Basically it would allow you to send out an email saying something like, " I will be flying today at the Marion Field at 1:00. Come join me if you can." You would send the message to the Rochester Soaring email address and it would automatically forward the message to the people who want to receive this kind of notice. This way each of you does not need to maintain a current email address list for the entire group. This is working now on a test level so it can easily be rolled out to all interested people.

The final idea I have for now is a big one. I have been kicking around the idea of trying to host a regional soaring event. Something on the scale of a few dozen pilots flying in an all day contest. I would post notices to surrounding clubs going out a few hundred miles, post notices here on RCGroups and where ever else I could think of. Now this would take some planning and would require help from many of you to pull it off. It would be a lot of effort but it would also be a lot of fun. My initial thought is to have an ALES contest as this would be much easier to host, no winches required. Some of my thoughts here include seeing if we could rent the Marion Flyers field for a day and hold the event at their field. This would give us bathrooms, shelter, controlled parking and a lot of other stuff. Their field is also big enough to pull off an ALES contest. Again, this is just an idea, I have made no inquiries nor any assumptions as to whether or not this would be OK with the Marion Flyers group, its just an idea.

Last thought for now. As most of you are aware, at some point in the future, 2015 or 2016, we will be losing the use of the Marion Rd field. It is slated to be developed into soccer and lacrosse fields and once that happens we will be looking for a new place to fly. I have been scouting a few possible locations for our next "home field". I have also been talking with the Rochester Parks dept and Olmsted County for some ideas of fields we can use. At some point we, as a group, should talk about our future flying field. Currently none of the options available to us are flat mowed grass like the Marion Rd field but that is not to say that the other options are without their advantages. I am going to contact the Parks dept in January and see where the funding is at for the Marion Rd field. It is possible that the development plan will be unfunded for 2015 in which case we will be flying there next season. I will let you know what I find out after the first of the year.

Wayne
Last edited by Windependence; Dec 08, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2014, 12:39 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
Hi Dean,

Thanks for the link to the DLG info. My DLG wing is back on the building table and is almost ready to be mounted to the fuselage. Just need to secure the hard points in the wing root and snake the wing servo wiring. Finishing the DLG is the number one project for this winter's build window.

Wayne
Old Dec 08, 2014, 11:20 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
FYI,

Probably not going to go out flying tomorrow, Tuesday. Thursday is looking better, mid 30's, sunny and not too windy. The weekend weather forecast looks very warm indeed. Mid 40's.

Wayne
Old Dec 09, 2014, 04:18 PM
United States, MN, White Bear Lake
Joined Aug 2011
110 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windependence View Post

Another thing I would really like to try to do for next year is to have a joint event with the MRCSS club. I think it would be a lot of fun for us to all road trip up to the MRCSS field, or they could come down here, and have a big event. My initial thought was to have 2 person teams consisting of one member from each group. It would be a fun way to meet and get to know each other. The final event format could be anything from traditional MoM to an open launch event. The team idea is just that, an idea. I made some initial inquiries last year and there was interest from both groups to do a joint event but I never got around to working out the details. Hopefully next season it will happen.
I would love to see this happen Wayne! I know we talked about it last year, but let's get things sorted out for the 2015 season! I do like the idea of a team event. Combined scores of each pilot on the team, a simple non-seeded flight matrix with team protection to allow teammates to time for each other. Be warned, if you end up on my team I'm going to drag you out to practice as often as I can prior to the contest!

Team event notwithstanding -- I encourage all of you to come and fly in our monthly MoM TD or F3K contests. Don't be afraid you are not "good enough" to fly with us. That is a bit like saying you aren't in good enough shape to go to the gym. You come to contests to learn from better pilots, to get tips, help, encouragement and most importantly to have a good time. The MRCSS contests are very low key -- there is nothing on the line and we strive to have a good time over everything. There is a lot of talent in the Rochester club, I see no reason we can't all get together and enjoy a contest day. If you need a hand getting comfortable launching on a winch, I'm happy to spend a day working with you. If you have any questions about a typical MRCSS MoM TD / F3K contest, drop me a line.

-Dean
mndlg is offline Find More Posts by mndlg
Old Dec 11, 2014, 03:00 PM
USA, MN, Rochester
Joined Mar 2008
2,539 Posts
So I got off of work and walking outside to very lite snowfall/drizzle, overcast and a little fog/haze in the air. Needless to say I am not going out to fly today. The totally untrustworthy weather forecaster is still proclaiming a December warm up is on the way. He's been saying that for over a week now. Oh well, there is always another day.

Wayne