SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:07 PM
Air Dancer
Pittsburgh, PA.
Joined Jan 2009
44 Posts
Discussion
Great Planes Nieuport XI

Anyone out there had a problem flying the GP Nieuport XI. I am using a Super Tiger 400 motor with a Spektrum AR400 receiver. After taking the warps out of the wings of the plane.(This was an ugly covering job) I have tried to fly this plane several times. All I get is a sprial in when it gets 200 feet out. I have range checked the system. I set the throws as per the manual, checked the CG. All I get is a loss of control and a sprial into the ground.
Is it the plane ,receiver, or me? I fly other planes with the same tx, but this is my first AR400 receiver. Could this be my problem?
Very Frustrated !
P 39 is offline Find More Posts by P 39
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,143 Posts
I just flew mine in 10+mph wind for the first time since stalling a landing and breaking the lower wing...but you have to keep up speed. Sounds like a stall...
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:08 PM
Electric Coolhunter
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Jun 2000
14,589 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by P 39 View Post
Anyone out there had a problem flying the GP Nieuport XI. I am using a Super Tiger 400 motor with a Spektrum AR400 receiver. After taking the warps out of the wings of the plane.(This was an ugly covering job) I have tried to fly this plane several times. All I get is a sprial in when it gets 200 feet out. I have range checked the system. I set the throws as per the manual, checked the CG. All I get is a loss of control and a sprial into the ground.
Is it the plane ,receiver, or me? I fly other planes with the same tx, but this is my first AR400 receiver. Could this be my problem?
Very Frustrated !
If it passes a 30 paces away Spektrum range check with the range check button pressed, it ought to be OK in flight. Must be something else, like an intermittent plug or connection, if you are not stalling it.
Thomas B is offline Find More Posts by Thomas B
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 2014 events and travel
Old Feb 07, 2013, 05:49 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
United States, AK, Fairbanks
Joined Aug 2009
12,429 Posts
I would say the most likely cause is a stall. If you're some distance out you might be running into moving air that you don't feel "locally", which could cause you to unconsciously change your throttle setting and end up stalling. It could also be as simple as misjudging the plane's speed in calm air and stalling by that means.

The other possibility is a radio issue. Spektrum receivers have failsafe systems that will drive the servos to preset positions in the event of a signal loss. If you haven't set those failsafe positions manually, they could very well be tossing the plane into a spiral condition. Test it by taking off the prop, then turning the transmitter off with the plane's onboard gear still powered up. Note where the servos go, and reset the failsafes if you need to (rebind with the sticks and trims positioned where you want the failsafe positions to be).
C₄H₁₀ is offline Find More Posts by C₄H₁₀
Old Feb 08, 2013, 03:01 PM
Air Dancer
Pittsburgh, PA.
Joined Jan 2009
44 Posts
I have to agree, it has to be a stall that I am not feeling going into a right turn. I also noticed it is tail heavy even with the suggested CG. I have added more nose weight. All I need now is some good weather to test it.
P 39 is offline Find More Posts by P 39
Old Feb 08, 2013, 09:11 PM
United States, IL, Joliet
Joined Jul 2011
2,143 Posts
I have downtrim on my elevator and you can see it, but it doesn't nose over on roll-outs...unless its one of the 50% of the times it does...and use a 2200
JDMJim is offline Find More Posts by JDMJim