HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 04, 2013, 08:51 AM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Help!
Tandem Wing Aircraft

Hello!

I've started working on design and fabrication of a tandem wing aircraft as a part of my project in college. I am usiing a 2.5 cc engine to power my aircraft, i've all material like balsa wood, servo motors, etc. Its weight would be arround 1700 gms But i am facing a few problems for the same. Like i dont know what airfoil to use, placement of of wings( distance b/w the two wings), chords of airfoils.

I am taking this aircraft as http://soartech-aero.com/ivens_files/image040.jpg as a referance to my design.

i will be using NACA 4-digit, but really dont know how to choose the right one.
Please help me out with this, I'll be really thankful.
pukarb is offline Find More Posts by pukarb
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 04, 2013, 07:30 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
997 Posts
Suggestions

For a .15 (2.5cc), 1700 grams or 3.75 pounds is a tad heavy. Shoot for AUW of 2.5#.

Airfoil: if your a bit "green" in constructing a wing, I would suggest the Clark Y airfoil rather than a semi-symmetrical NACA. A flat bottom wing is easier to construct. But if you insist on NACA, use the 2412.

Wings: go with about 300-350 sq in total area. Aspect ratio of about 6 to 1 (span to chord). Horizontal separation gap of 2x wing chord. Vertical separation of about 1x chord. Dihedral angle of 3 degrees on each 1/2 wing panel.

Have fun.
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski
Old Jan 05, 2013, 07:47 AM
Joined Jan 2013
9 Posts
Thank you for your reply sir!

If i want to distribute lift on the wings as for front wing gives 60% of lift while the rear one gives 40%. will it effect the moments about CG ie if front wing is ahead of cg so pitch up moment is given to the aircraft hence affecting its stability, how can i neutralize this problem?
pukarb is offline Find More Posts by pukarb
Old Jan 07, 2013, 07:05 PM
TigreJohn
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Aug 2008
997 Posts
Here is a graphic Center of Gravity Calculator that takes into account two lifting surfaces. If you want a 60/40 split, suggest your wing areas should be in the same ratio.

http://www.geistware.com/rcmodeling/cg_super_calc.htm
jjkupinski is offline Find More Posts by jjkupinski