389 Posts
Discussion
Drill, Baby, Drill?

http://www.charter.net/news/read.php...KNWU00L4_UNEWS
Bob HSG is online now Find More Posts by Bob HSG
Old Mar 21, 2012, 02:46 PM
Joined Aug 2011
738 Posts
That pipeline dident help much either did it?

Anyhow interisting spin on the 'more drilling'.

Directly related to the pricing are the 'seasonal blends' (thanks enviromentalists) and the closure of some rather large refinerys.

Fewer leases being issued as well.

http://news.heartland.org/newspaper-...and-gas-leases
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Mar 21, 2012, 03:01 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Why would you expect more drilling to lower gas prices as demand increases? If demand was static more drilling would lower the prices but that is not the case. More drilling will absolutely increase supply which will keep prices lower than they would be without the increased supply.
RumRunner_1492 is online now Find More Posts by RumRunner_1492
Old Mar 21, 2012, 04:28 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
It's a rigged game; more drilling won't change a thing.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:15 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
It's a rigged game; more drilling won't change a thing.
Yup and how about this. The oil that we drill here stays here? That might help things too don't you think? Everyone is all up in arms about Keystone and I don't agree that it should have been cancelled either but that would have sent the Canadian oil overseas as well.

I remember being in grade school and learning that there was a finite amount of oil in the ground. You guys know that right? Apparently according to the GOP, we can't think about getting off it until every drop is extracted from the ground and every penny is pulled from our pockets by their masters the oil companies.

Drill baby drill? What a joke!
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:17 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhotpearl View Post
Yup and how about this. The oil that we drill here stays here? That might help things too don't you think? Everyone is all up in arms about Keystone and I don't agree that it should have been cancelled either but that would have sent the Canadian oil overseas as well.

I remember being in grade school and learning that there was a finite amount of oil in the ground. You guys know that right? Apparently according to the GOP, we can't think about getting off it until every drop is extracted from the ground and every penny is pulled from our pockets by their masters the oil companies.

Drill baby drill? What a joke!
Because Obama cancelled that pipeline Canada penned a deal with China for oil. So now that oil is already going overseas.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:21 PM
Starring as Devils Advocate
Joined Feb 2009
1,181 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RumRunner_1492 View Post
Because Obama cancelled that pipeline Canada penned a deal with China for oil. So now that oil is already going overseas.
Yeah it was stupid of him, I said that. However, don't kid yourself into thinking that oil would have helped the common person in the US. It was going to be shipped overseas because it's somehow not Americas, it's the oil company's sole property somehow.
redhotpearl is offline Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Old Mar 21, 2012, 05:30 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
Quote:
Yeah it was stupid of him, I said that. However, don't kid yourself into thinking that oil would have helped the common person in the US. It was going to be shipped overseas because it's somehow not Americas, it's the oil company's sole property somehow.
How is oil from Canada America's property? How is any oil the property of America? It belongs to the company that produced the oil. If a company has excess refining capability why shouldn't they refine oil and sell the product to places willing to buy it?

Much of the oil we import is sent to us from Mexico, the oil companies refine it and send it back to Mexico as gas.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 06:41 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Y Apparently according to the GOP, we can't think about getting off it until every drop is extracted from the ground and every penny is pulled from our pockets by their masters the oil companies.
Not using a high-energy resource to power our society because it might run out some day would be rather stupid. I can drive across the country for $300. My ancestors, those that survived, took months or longer to do the trek. Gasoline is cheap for the benefits it provides, like for ambulances for critically ill relatives, and jet fuel for emergency flights to dying relatives - two examples that come to mind.

If there were a God I would thank him for oil and oil companies, but in the meantime thank you capitalist risk-takers for your efforts these last 150 years. Thank you also for saving the whales from extinction for those addicted to their oil.
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Last edited by Big Foot 48; Mar 21, 2012 at 07:12 PM.
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
Who, ME?
Euclid Ohio
Joined May 2005
306 Posts
While you're at it thank GM, Goodyear and Standard Oil for buying and scuttling nearly all the trolley lines so we'd be more dependent on oil and cars. Along with that you can thank them for suburban sprawl and gridlocked traffic.
dll932 is offline Find More Posts by dll932
Old Mar 21, 2012, 10:44 PM
Alarm Bells Continuing!
Arizona
Joined Oct 2001
276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dll932 View Post
While you're at it thank GM, Goodyear and Standard Oil for buying and scuttling nearly all the trolley lines so we'd be more dependent on oil and cars. Along with that you can thank them for suburban sprawl and gridlocked traffic.
Move to Europe and you can have all those good things back!

I hate being dependent on cars for vacation! Much rather ride a Greyhound bus from town to town to national park. Think of the friends one could make!
Big Foot 48 is offline Find More Posts by Big Foot 48
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:34 PM
It's 5 O'clock Somewhere
Dayton, OH
Joined Feb 2006
418 Posts
From the article:

Quote:
If drilling activity rises around the globe for a sustained period of time, gasoline prices can fall as that new supply eventually finds its way to market
This is very confusing. So more drilling and production will lower gas pices according to the article but isn't the article arguing that more drilling will not lower gas/oil prices?
Old Mar 22, 2012, 01:37 PM
Joined Aug 2011
738 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Foot 48 View Post
Move to Europe and you can have all those good things back!

I hate being dependent on cars for vacation! Much rather ride a Greyhound bus from town to town to national park. Think of the friends one could make!
Took a bus to south florid from north florida once. Trip ended up taking two days (for about an 8 hour trip). Never agin.

Darn Amtrack isnt much better and only rolls into our town twice a week at 3:00am
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem