New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:00 PM
Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
United States, MO, Richmond
Joined Apr 2015
1,365 Posts
My FrSky rx - the white, no telemetry, sorry-i-don't-have-the-number one, has two longish black antennae growing out of it. There is no possibility to put one crosswise in my Yak 12; the antenna is longer than the fuselage us wide. I am operating under the impression that these two antennae should be perpendicular to one another.

Is this correct? Should they? Should I poke a hole in the plane's floor and stick one of them out?

Or any other suggestions?

Thank you.
SlowJeff is offline Find More Posts by SlowJeff
Last edited by SlowJeff; Jul 11, 2015 at 10:00 PM. Reason: My autocorrect is driving me crazy.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by 4*60
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,946 Posts
I believe you will find that the whole length isn't antenna. If I remember about 1 1/4 inches is 1/4 wave for 2.4 so don't worry about the first part out of the Rx. Make sure the last 2 inches or so are oriented the way you want and a bit away from 'junk'.

186000*5280*12/24000000000*.25
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Last edited by 4*60; Jul 11, 2015 at 10:17 PM.
Old Jul 11, 2015, 10:08 PM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
I believe you will find that the whole length isn't antenna. If I remember about 1 1/4 inches is 1/4 wave for 2.4 so don't worry about the first part out of the Rx. Make sure the last 2 inches or so are oriented the way you want and a bit away from 'junk'.
Aha! Of course! And to make it more obvious, had I only been actually thinking, the end inch and a quarter is uninsulated wire.

So I can easily orient them, and keep them away from junk, which is an issue. I put an NX3 Evo in this plane, and I'm sure its little digital brain is thinking some thousands or millions of digital thoughts every second.

Thanks!
Last edited by SlowJeff; Jul 11, 2015 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Earth to autocorrect - uninsulated is too a word.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 02:21 AM
Find More Posts by frater
Joined Aug 2014
668 Posts
Why people are using these ancient units in a scientific context is beyond me. They are impractical to work with. Tradition has no place in science. Come on, it's the 21st century. Stop using those units! At least in a scientific context...

Gallons, inches, feet, miles belong in a museum together with Roman ciphers.
frater is online now Find More Posts by frater
Last edited by frater; Jul 12, 2015 at 02:31 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 04:57 AM
Find More Posts by 4*60
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,946 Posts
AW!.....................It ain't worth it.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Last edited by 4*60; Jul 12, 2015 at 05:14 AM.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 05:51 AM
Find More Posts by Nora
Malta, Żejtun
Joined Aug 2014
131 Posts
hi everyone

is there a page that explains the difference between the new european protocol and WW protocol ?

tried to search but can find anything except how to update the firmware

thanks
Nora is offline Find More Posts by Nora
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:02 AM
Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBright33 View Post
Long thin edge really? How many RSSI units if I turn them 90 degrees? Just did a range test got 300ft to 40 RSSI then rapidly drops to 0. Tested with RX only nothing else on the plane. Also tried carrying the RX instead, leaving the TX behind in a slightly different position. Only got 150ft to failsafe. This implies the problem is NOT in the telemetry direction.

300ft x 30 = 9000ft what gives?
I'm only getting 1200ft to 40 RSSI.
Tx and RX antenna need to be in the same plain to get maximum distance, ie paralell to each other.
For line of sight I much prefer to use the wiska antenna , less total range but better diversity.
Your range tests sound reasonable to me and getting an odd rssi warning at 1200ft would not be anything to worry about, I too get them on occasion butnever had any loss of control and rssi levels immediately come back up to above 50 or so, I suggest logging your flights and seeing what the rssi looks like.
nigelsheffield is offline Find More Posts by nigelsheffield
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:04 AM
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora View Post
hi everyone

is there a page that explains the difference between the new european protocol and WW protocol ?

tried to search but can find anything except how to update the firmware

thanks
Listen before talk is one of the main things the EU has, most would agree its best to stick with the normal version if you don't need to change.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:16 AM
Taranis Soarus Wrecks
Joined Apr 2015
1,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frater View Post
Why people are using these ancient units in a scientific context is beyond me. They are impractical to work with. Tradition has no place in science. Come on, it's the 21st century. Stop using those units! At least in a scientific context...

Gallons, inches, feet, miles belong in a museum together with Roman ciphers.
Yeah... let's go there...
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:17 AM
Find More Posts by Nora
Malta, Żejtun
Joined Aug 2014
131 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelsheffield View Post
Listen before talk is one of the main things the EU has, most would agree its best to stick with the normal version if you don't need to change.
your telling me to shut up ?

thanks for the info ..il stick with the normal version then
Nora is offline Find More Posts by Nora
Old Jul 12, 2015, 06:29 AM
United Kingdom, Horbury
Joined Oct 2007
6,285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nora View Post
your telling me to shut up ?

thanks for the info ..il stick with the normal version then
I normally get told to think before I speak lol.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 12:24 PM
Find More Posts by SBright33
Joined Sep 2014
168 Posts
Nigel, you're right, an occasional RSSI warning at 1200ft is no big deal. DEPENDING WHAT YOU SET THE ALARM AT. I set it to 40. During range test it rapidly drops from 40 to 0 as you walk away. An alarm at 48 mean you can go twice as far. An alarm at 40 is dangerous?
SBright33 is online now Find More Posts by SBright33
Old Jul 12, 2015, 02:30 PM
Find More Posts by woglom
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
I have had my Taranis XD9 Plus for 3 months and it has been working great, the about 14 days ago I thought the battery was dying. It wouldn't hold a charge for very long. Then over the last week the screen slowly gets gray and fades off about 15 - 20 seconds after I turn it on. If I turn it off and then back on the screen stays blank although the radio gives me a verbal switch or throttle warning. I tried a different battery with the same result. Any ideas?
woglom is offline Find More Posts by woglom
Old Jul 13, 2015, 05:04 AM
Find More Posts by LapinFou
France, Lower Normandy, Falaise
Joined Mar 2014
193 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by woglom View Post
I have had my Taranis XD9 Plus for 3 months and it has been working great, the about 14 days ago I thought the battery was dying. It wouldn't hold a charge for very long. Then over the last week the screen slowly gets gray and fades off about 15 - 20 seconds after I turn it on. If I turn it off and then back on the screen stays blank although the radio gives me a verbal switch or throttle warning. I tried a different battery with the same result. Any ideas?
I got exactly the same problem on a brand new T+. The root cause was a defective motherboard. Changing it (under warranty) definitely solved the issue.
LapinFou is offline Find More Posts by LapinFou
Old Jul 13, 2015, 05:32 AM
Find More Posts by woglom
Joined Apr 2014
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LapinFou View Post
I got exactly the same problem on a brand new T+. The root cause was a defective motherboard. Changing it (under warranty) definitely solved the issue.
Ok, thanks for the reply. I'm waiting to hear back from RMRC which is where I bought it. What bad timing! I'm at the tail end of a six week recovery from neck surgery......I'm fine but not released to go back to work for another 10 days or so. Just think of all the flying I could have done without spousal complaints!
woglom is offline Find More Posts by woglom