SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 11, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Joined Apr 2004
814 Posts
TT

Thanks for the comments.

The first powered flight you saw was powered by a 6s 1350 watt changesun fan. It was a test fight to see if it was going to be worth the work. The wing is pretty scale in size, plus not having the wing tank/ fins to help the model fly must have played into the flat spin. The wing airfoil is basically (close) off the original BVM F-16. The 3rd model is sitting on my work bench till I get off my a$$ and finish it. The 3rd model is around 90% done. I'm fabricating the canopy and the forward intakes.

It's do close, but I have to get back into the groove to do it right and not just do it.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 12, 2015, 01:41 PM
Find More Posts by TTRotary
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,407 Posts
OK, we can perhaps compare notes later: I've gone ahead and ordered the CJM kit based on seeing it fly so well. I'll post a pic of the airfoil it has when I get it. The idea is that it will ultimately be K60G powered.

I will also do a 64-70mm scratch with as close to scale proportions as possible, and as light as possible, so I can get a sense of how this thing flies, before I commit to the bigger plane. It will have slotted flaps, so I can see how these behave.

Right now, I have an RG14 selected, but I think I will take my own advice and go to a 9% symmetrical... I tried a stubby-winged L39 in the sim with RG14 - it flew fine until I tired flaps - did not like that at all - the symmetrical airfoil developed less lift, but behaved better overall. These were all thicker sections of at least 8%.

I think excessive downward-pitching, especially under flaps, may be a real issue here on a cambered airfoil. Even more so perhaps if one sticks to the scale flap panel. At 60% span and 25% chord, that is a lot of down-moment, and there may be some flapperon-like roll instability as well. Would not be surprised if one has to run some aileron reflex (crow) with scale flap dimensions in addition to wing washout.

Agree 100% with the tip tank observation too. On this model, the tanks and ventral strakes / fins seem to be necessary for acceptable directional stability (yaw), given the polars. I won't be flying without those.

Shoot me a PM when you are ready to go back up - I'd love to join you and Scott. I'm in Claremont, so nearby. I saw the test was at Archibald -Marc
TTRotary is online now Find More Posts by TTRotary
Last edited by TTRotary; Jun 12, 2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 03:27 PM
Find More Posts by turbonut
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
Hi Mark,
Steve plans to add LE flaps on his also..we did not have any flaps on the test plane..biggest problem that one had is the fan was too low in the fuse giving up thrust...If you put any power in at low airspeed it just pitched nose up and locked in the stall..
turbonut is offline Find More Posts by turbonut
Old Jun 12, 2015, 04:07 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,407 Posts
OK good to know Scott, thanks. I'll be putting my motors in the tail, so need to remember the thrust line thru the CG! These 104s are tricky, no doubt about it. That's what makes them fun...

I fly out of Hemet Mod masters field these days - let me know if you guys want to come down there for some testing - fewer crowds than Prado and nice paved runway.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 04:24 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
My friend Doug flys there(was the club pres for a bit)...I just had my Micro 104 out last weekend...fun...We will have to plan a trip
Old Jun 12, 2015, 06:33 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,407 Posts
As in Doug Medore?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 08:08 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
Yep!
Old Jun 12, 2015, 08:11 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,407 Posts
great guy, incredible pilot
Old Jun 12, 2015, 08:44 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
Yep! was my best man at wedding
Old Jun 12, 2015, 09:06 PM
Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Joined Apr 2004
814 Posts
Hi Scott!

Scott and I are working ( define working as looking at them a lot lately) on a bunch of composite models.

Since we like the 104, in storage. I have a JD Models F-104. The wing construction of foam/ glass sheeting is the best part of that version. The fuse is a bit off in it's shape.

Still cool enough to own.

Steve
SCALECRAFT is offline Find More Posts by SCALECRAFT
Last edited by SCALECRAFT; Jun 12, 2015 at 09:14 PM.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 09:12 PM
Pro Hoarder
upland CA
Joined Dec 2004
8,303 Posts
Get to work Steve! maybe sunday test flight
Old Jul 15, 2015, 06:43 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,407 Posts
The CJM kit arrived. Nice piece overall, but definitely a builder's kit. The tail fin is already molded. Building and setting up the elevator stab will be a real challenge. I already dislike the mounting system (similar to Avonds).

The wings are sheeted foam-core. I will redo as built-up. The wing profile is a 9% symmetrical airfoil, pretty much a NACA 0009 Smoothed.