Old Yesterday, 12:57 AM
Find More Posts by saucerguy
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,039 Posts
Discussion
Making sense of it all

With the increasing complexity and options we have these days, its became a you want to fly rc, time to go to school for months just to know what questions to ask, much less what to buy, build, or god forbid, how to fly...

I thought it was going to be easy, years ago to get into, after all I knew aeronautics... Taking into account I grew up building planes from kits for free flight, I thought it would not be a hard transition to rc, then I got into it and wow, just looking at the terminology alone, abbreviations, then to pair up the right gear with the given plane, I opted as to most to just get a plane off the shelf ready to go...Well, especially in the day I started, there was no ready to fly, there was a plane hooked up you could plug in but it still needed fine tuning or more just for it to fly, this is assuming you already knew how to fly but that's kind of lost in the works since one opted to have it all predone in the first place. You spend tons on parts learning that gambit, something the manufactures love.... Do NOT do what I did learning, there are better ways.

I did in addition try to fly plane designs that were not for beginners, this also put me through more expensive frustrations. Soon enough though, my builders side kicked in to more then made up for any blunder in the learning curve. I crash the plane, no biggie, 20 min in the shop its ready to fly again using the same cheap materials I built the whole thing in the first place.

Making sense number one, no rtf "ready to fly" plane should be viewed at as some classic car where you want it all stock. If you can bash out a replacement part on your own, do it. Along with, they have very little used resale value. Also the gear in many cases is too cheap to bother using or reselling for other planes. Fly it, use it, get something legit or build something legit later you are going to be proud of and get to customize as you desire.

Almost ready to fy planes "arf" they vary just as the ready to fly planes, "rtf" I have put some together where I spent more time doing that then it would have to build the thing from scratch. I have also seen far too often where what is sold needs lots of help to make it reliable, much less airworthy. Search the forums before you assemble on your make and model before trusting in just the manufacturers instructions.

Choosing the type of plane... There are tons of threads about that, but little along the scale, this is a big factor especially trying to learn. Your given area, in my case Tacoma at the time, has its own atmospheric variables to contend with. I had a choice of 15-20 min in the dawn or dusk to fly a small trainer, that was the only time the wind died down enough... Bigger trainer can handle bigger winds. I ended up just bashing out some planes that were not at all trainers just to plow through the winds and learned to fly in them, not an easy approach, but still, scale is huge. The dihedral pitch, "the angle of the wings to each other" is great for getting the plane to automatically center itself but the wind will bat it around like a leaf.

The gear, how heavy is the plane supposed to be, begin there. Average park flyer, 1 - 1.5 pounds, 1000-1300 lipo for the power source, 1000 kv- 1300 kv brushless motor, "you see the pattern here", 20-30 amp esc, 9 x 6 prop, you have a ton of power without hurting the gear. You move onto something larger, again in trainer style, increase the esc capacity, lower the kv on the motor but make it larger size "amps included", increase the prop size, and you have the same plane to power ratio.

Going from here, when the plane is properly set up, trimmed, fine tuned,it should fly just like a simulation. Anything loose, weak, any iota of glitches should be eliminated. Even seemingly a tiny amount of slop or indescrepencies can turn an amazing flight into an expensive crash. Everytime you land or before you take off, test everything.

Final take on this, visualize, just as athletes do for a good flight. Confidence is huge here, if you are worried or insecure you will crash, just think in your mind you are going to make it fly even if it does not want to. I've had some unscheduled 3d flights with planes in the past that way, lol, but I tend to fly either new untested platforms or major revisions to old so its oar for the course.
Making sense of it as well, don't be afraid of building, even just free flight, it will give you a lot of insight as to how they work. Also knowing how to repair and build your own parts saves a ton of time and money regardless of what you fly.
saucerguy is online now Find More Posts by saucerguy
Last edited by saucerguy; Yesterday at 01:15 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM
Find More Posts by failboat
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
3,025 Posts
Or, the newbie could search out and read the literal legion of "what first plane should I get?" posts....... I gave up trying to help because the same question gets asked five times a week.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
Old Yesterday, 07:15 PM
Find More Posts by saucerguy
United States, WA, Yacolt
Joined Dec 2005
1,039 Posts
I hear you, options were few when I started, there was a lot of garbage on the market that was turning new pilots off to the hobby. It was quite a plunge for me to get into at the time, was so disappointing to find out my expensive rtf was loaded with useless junk.

I didn't feel a need to cover what type of plane obviously, its been so covered already. I am thankful for the forums, when I started getting advice here, that is where the real progress was made. The hobby shops I frequented then gave me horrible advice such as telling me the multiplex microjet and the blade cp were good for beginners... Both ruined my confidence, also did quite a bit of damage to my wallet.
saucerguy is online now Find More Posts by saucerguy
Old Today, 05:03 AM
Find More Posts by papadwight
United States, TN, Murfreesboro
Joined Apr 2013
1,701 Posts
After my first trainer plane did not ever get in the air as a rc plane I read firums here and watch a u tube video of a guy take a champ out the back of his car and fly it right out the box. After people here saying the champ was there first they could fly I tryed one. It flys right out my hand into the air the first time. After many a crash and easy repairs I learned a ton about rc planes and keeping them in the air. I went right for biplanes next which flew great till my first crash they it was a job trying to get them back in the air. Yes you do not want a lot of wind when flying a champ but It was a great trainer plane with cheaps parts. I have got the duet to both are great cheap rtf planes that are great trainers.
papadwight is offline Find More Posts by papadwight
RCG Plus Member