View Poll Results: Which engine should I use?
O.S .65 AX 13 31.71%
Webra Speed .60 6 14.63%
O.S .60 FSR 9 21.95%
O.S .61 SF unpumped 5 12.20%
O.S .61 FX 1 2.44%
Super Tigre G-61 ABC 7 17.07%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 19, 2016, 08:47 AM
Find More Posts by jonwold
Norway, Østfold, Moss
Joined Nov 2012
241 Posts
Poll
Great Planes Super Kaos - which engine should I use?

I'm planning my next build which will most likely be the Great Planes Super Kaos 60 that I bought NIB last year. It will have fixed trike gear and no pipe, i.e very stock with no mods. I've sourced a few nice engines over the past year and now I'm considering which of them to use. I have a favourite but I'm curious to see what you all think before I decide. No pipe, original muffler and upright mounting position. Have fun voting!
jonwold is offline Find More Posts by jonwold
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2016, 08:56 AM
Find More Posts by doxilia
Montreal, Canada
Joined Mar 2008
3,397 Posts
Jon,

Voted for the FSR but I would equally go with the ST G-61. Both vintage SS engines that keep the "feel" of the fixed gear setup you plan to use. I like the ST blue heads for nostalgic reasons and they present an opportunity to use blue trim in line with the head anodizing colour.

Pictures?

David
doxilia is online now Find More Posts by doxilia
Old May 19, 2016, 01:01 PM
Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Suspended Account
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
I would use the most powerful out of the bunch. With my Super Kaos I went the nostalgic route and settled on a Kraft .61. It would be much more enjoyable with another 10% power. Right now I am debating on whether or not to install a full length pipe or an Evo Jett muffler. I like the idea of the muffler as it will match the color scheme well.
exf3bguy is offline Find More Posts by exf3bguy
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old May 19, 2016, 01:19 PM
Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
AMA 46133
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
6,545 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doxilia View Post
Jon,

Voted for the FSR but I would equally go with the ST G-61. Both vintage SS engines that keep the "feel" of the fixed gear setup you plan to use. I like the ST blue heads for nostalgic reasons and they present an opportunity to use blue trim in line with the head anodizing colour.

Pictures?

David
I voted for the OS FSR also. That was one of the most user friendly engine I used.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old May 19, 2016, 02:03 PM
Find More Posts by Roguedog
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
1,084 Posts
I voted for 65AX. I do like the 60FSR's only thing i don't like about the 60fsr's is the 7B carb as it limits the top end RPM's reliable as it may be.

Though not in the list of choices the 61FSR on the other hand uses either the 7D or the 7M carb and gives you 2 additional performance choices if your need more top end RPM's without a tuned pipe although the 2 higher performance options require the use of a pump.

If you later decide to use a tuned pipe on the 61FSR then the 7M carb would be my choice as it has a mid-range adjustment to fine tune the transition from low to high speed as it was specifically designed by O.S. for competition pattern flying during that period.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Last edited by Roguedog; May 19, 2016 at 02:42 PM.
Old May 19, 2016, 02:05 PM
Norway, Østfold, Moss
Joined Nov 2012
241 Posts
Great input, and what a great looking Kaos! Keep voting guys :-)
Old May 19, 2016, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by hook57
United States, IL, North Aurora
Joined Sep 2009
813 Posts
I have one of each of those engines, but I went with .65AX in this DB from an orange label Bridi Kit. Flew just great, until the second half of a Double Immelmann exited to close to a tree.
hook57 is offline Find More Posts by hook57
Old May 19, 2016, 03:25 PM
Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
AKA 8178
Joined May 2004
3,525 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonwold View Post
I'm planning my next build which will most likely be the Great Planes Super Kaos 60 that I bought NIB last year. It will have fixed trike gear and no pipe, i.e very stock with no mods. I've sourced a few nice engines over the past year and now I'm considering which of them to use. I have a favourite but I'm curious to see what you all think before I decide. No pipe, original muffler and upright mounting position. Have fun voting!
If you want it stock that would be a Webra Blackhead 61.

Mike
Jet_Flyer is online now Find More Posts by Jet_Flyer
Old May 19, 2016, 03:42 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet_Flyer View Post
If you want it stock that would be a Webra Blackhead 61.

Mike
LOL, the last one I had in the early 80's had an HB .61 PDP.
Old May 21, 2016, 04:59 AM
Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Brighto?
United States, DE, Newark
Joined Dec 2003
1,161 Posts
Here's my Kaos from a Lazer Works short kit with a Veco .61 and muffler installed which is more than adequate power. With a Kraft radio installed, it has great performance at a 6 lb. flying weight. The FSR (my vote) is more than enough power for the SK. Enjoy the build.
Mike Denest is offline Find More Posts by Mike Denest
Old May 22, 2016, 02:24 AM
Norway, Østfold, Moss
Joined Nov 2012
241 Posts
Thanks for all your votes and great feedback, every single one of you! Like I said I was already decided on what to do and then I got confused when I suddenly got hold of both an ST 61 and the OS 61 FX so I thought I'd do a poll.
I'm a little surprised so many voted AX, but then again I do agree that is one great motor. I have two, and one is sitting in my Tower Kaos 60 ARF. It has fantastic performance on the stock muffler. I'm also very happy to see so many are Super Tigre fans like me. I could not believe my luck when I got a new in box ST G61 ABC from a shop in Italy.
But having two OS 60 FSRs in great condition sitting idle, one of them with a rare in-flight adjustable mixture carb, that is what I must use.
Old May 22, 2016, 06:32 AM
Find More Posts by Roguedog
United States, CA, Norco
Joined Feb 2007
1,084 Posts
heeEEEEeeyy! The FSR with the in Flight Mixture control wasn't in the poll.

I would have chose that just for the cool factor alone. Excellent choice.
Roguedog is offline Find More Posts by Roguedog
Old May 22, 2016, 08:20 AM
Find More Posts by RACE 66
BELLINGHAM,WASHINGTON
Joined Jan 2008
83 Posts
Well I have an Webra Speed Rear Exhaust .60, original owner, and I love it. It to has a mixture control and it was installed in a scratch built Deception. I also ran an OPS muffled tune pipe with it. Still runs very well. My 'nickels' worth.
RACE 66 is offline Find More Posts by RACE 66
Old May 22, 2016, 10:44 PM
Find More Posts by crasher47
Joined Mar 2013
527 Posts
I had a Great Planes Super Kaos 60 in the late 80's and it flew very well on a HB .61 that I salvaged from a military drone. I think an OS .60 FSR would be just right for that size plane. Installing one of he later long stroke engines is going to make the plane nose heavy and probably require tail weight.
crasher47 is offline Find More Posts by crasher47
Old May 22, 2016, 10:50 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Oct 2011
2,963 Posts
Mine requires 2 oz in the tail with the Kraft engine. I think most that are film covered will be the same.