Old Jan 30, 2016, 04:24 AM
Find More Posts by simi_90
Joined Jan 2016
1 Posts
Discussion
3D foamie for beginner

Hello all,

I'm planning to get my first 3D plane for training. I have currently one trainer with about 700mm wingspan, but it has only 3 channels (no aileron). Now I want to start training with plane which has all 4 channels, but can't decide which one. Material will be EPP, I think it's the best for beginner. I have been looking for this one:

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...955mm_ARF.html

Is it too heavy to start with? Any other suggestions? Sure I can't do real 3D flying at the beginning, but when I learn I would like to have the possibility to do it without need to buy new plane.
simi_90 is offline Find More Posts by simi_90
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2016, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by FlyinAg
I Love 30mm
United States, CA, Edwards AFB
Joined Nov 2001
494 Posts
I really like my VA models Triniti. 39", airfoil ed wing, flies nice. Great price for a combo at epphobby.com. Can do sport or 3d, and is not too over the top for a beginner.

It does not have the following that some of the others have. Right now I am building Twisted Hobby MXS-C. The quality is awesome and the build is stupid easy. You def. Pay more for their stuff however, but it is really top notch. You will need to turn the rates down at first.
FlyinAg is online now Find More Posts by FlyinAg
Old Feb 01, 2016, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by 1101
New Zealand, Auckland
Joined Dec 2008
1,154 Posts
Chances are you will crash, alot . Not an insult, just part of the learning process .

Get something cheap & easy to repair, such as a flat epp foamy . That MX2 isnt really a learners plane, and wont cope well with crashes. Its a hybrid build, so repairs wont be easy (I have a similar smaller hybrid, its great untill you break it)

Hobbyking reaktor , light so its more tolerant of crashes with a bit of re-enforcing . Dirt cheap .
A Telink plane, or even better a 32" Twisted Hobbies plane
1101 is offline Find More Posts by 1101
Old Feb 02, 2016, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by RonJ
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,813 Posts
"Cheap & Easy" Check out www.valuehobby.com.

They offer some pretty decent EPP flyers and components for very low prices. I set one up for a friend for less than $70. This included the airplane/motor/ESC/props/servos/lipo and shipping. I have the Giles 202, flys great. Just reduce the throws for training .

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Feb 02, 2016, 01:35 PM
Find More Posts by dankar04
Tucson, Az
Joined Feb 2007
16,855 Posts
There is no better deal then vlaue hobby kits. 3 D foamie 32" birds are $25.00. Motors/ esc's/ servo they sell work fine. . Batteries are good also.
dankar04 is online now Find More Posts by dankar04
Old Feb 02, 2016, 06:19 PM
Find More Posts by benz11
Australia, WA, North Perth
Joined Jan 2014
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyinAg View Post
...Twisted Hobby MXS-C. The quality is awesome and the build is stupid easy. You def. Pay more for their stuff however, but it is really top notch. You will need to turn the rates down at first.
+1!

The 32" MXS-C is my first and only 3D plane as well and I recommend it 100%!!! I have had mine for over a year and after many crashes and repairs it still flies like it did the day I maidened it. It is so tough; I have had many power-on nose first crashes into bitumen and the worst that has happened is I broke the prop saver o-ring! It has made me an infinitely better pilot due to such a well designed airframe. I am usually forced to fly it in a strong breeze (it's never still here) in a small, tree lined area and it just does whatever you ask it to. Buy a spare bottle of Foam-tac and start with low aileron rates (40%?) and you won't regret it!
benz11 is offline Find More Posts by benz11
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:15 PM
Find More Posts by oceanway99
United States, FL, Jacksonville
Joined Feb 2012
672 Posts
The Techone 32" planes are a step above the Value hobby and less than the TH planes. Around 49 bucks for the airframes. 10mm epp vs 8mm on the Value Hobby planes. Better hardware too. Very sturdy. I've got several hundred flights on the SU-29 with alot of crashes. Still flies great.
oceanway99 is offline Find More Posts by oceanway99
Old Feb 02, 2016, 08:57 PM
Find More Posts by kobe_cantin
United States, FL, Delray Beach
Joined Feb 2015
83 Posts
You can't go wrong with any West Michagan Park fliers plane. Amazing service and also cheap but amazing airframes!!!
kobe_cantin is offline Find More Posts by kobe_cantin
Old Feb 07, 2016, 01:09 PM
Find More Posts by Copterhound
Joined Jan 2016
9 Posts
Hello, this is how a guy with a hand-crafted foamie builds one and solves crash problems:

http://www.rcfair.com/en/blogs/view_entry/13065/
Copterhound is offline Find More Posts by Copterhound