Old Sep 17, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by kenh3497
Don't fear the reaper
United States, IA, Rockwell
Joined Jul 2011
5,733 Posts
Discussion
Pattern overfly area

If any club were to host a pattern contest, how much overfly distance from center, right and left, would you need? Typically, how far out from the pilots station do you fly. I know these can be loaded questions. I'm just looking for general answers to get in the ball park.

I think our home field is to tight to host a pattern event, but maybe with some creative orientation something could be done.

Thank you

Ken
kenh3497 is online now Find More Posts by kenh3497
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2015, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by mmattock
Canada, AB
Joined Oct 2014
694 Posts
Turnaround pattern? Doesn't the box define your area well enough?

Mark
mmattock is offline Find More Posts by mmattock
Old Sep 18, 2015, 05:49 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,603 Posts
Hi,
You fly on a line 150 meter in front of the pilot and the line is 260 meter on each side of the centerline so total 520 meter is the line you fly on in front of You. And max 260 meter height at the 150 meter line. 140-175 meter is OK to fly in front of You without reduction in points. Then You need some safety distance also outside these distances. It is easy to make a desired manouvering zone in Goggle maps and see how it can be placed so no hazards to people or property on the ground near the zone. Ideally is to have the sun behind You whole day while flying but that is seldom the case on all model flying fields, use sunsheilds then if You have to block the sun for the pilots.

I was Contest director at one contest in July and the zones we used for the two sectors we had was this - see PDF file below. F3A box below also.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Sep 18, 2015 at 07:55 AM.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 08:13 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,733 Posts
This is a link to our field. We are directly east of the I-35 speedway. Our club bylaws/field rules prohibit us from flying south of the road that is north of Target.

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1526...!3m1!1e3?hl=en

We could skew the box to a northwest/southeast pattern to gain more room at the expense of a line of trees to the east which may or may not affect the box.

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2015, 08:19 PM
Find More Posts by viva_peru
Oakland township, Michigan
Joined Jun 2005
910 Posts
If you fly a single line it might be doable but tight. How long is the runway? I am trying to get a sense of scale. Keep in mind those flying sportsman can fly in an out of the box so you need to give yourself some margin.

Also keep in mind that if you skew the box relative to the runway people will have trouble with orientation. We are mostly conditioned to fly parallel to the runway.

Good luck,

Teo
viva_peru is offline Find More Posts by viva_peru
Last edited by viva_peru; Sep 18, 2015 at 08:27 PM.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 10:29 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viva_peru View Post
If you fly a single line it might be doable but tight. How long is the runway? I am trying to get a sense of scale. Keep in mind those flying sportsman can fly in an out of the box so you need to give yourself some margin.

Also keep in mind that if you skew the box relative to the runway people will have trouble with orientation. We are mostly conditioned to fly parallel to the runway.

Good luck,

Teo
IIRC the petro mat runway is 300 feet long. 600 feet to the road to the south from the center of the field sticks in my head.
Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 19, 2015, 04:02 AM
Find More Posts by bossee
Bo Edström, Sweden
Joined Jan 2009
1,603 Posts
kenh3497,

Maybe F3A sector like below can be doable? Assuming the north small road is allowed to be flown over. My suggestion gives a safetyline (red line) to the speedway.
You paint white lines 50 meters from pilot position on centerline and also on the 60 deg. lines to left and right. This will help the pilot get some guidelines to see boundaries better to the side and guide where center line is. You want to set up centerpole and end poles (about 4 meter high, 10 cm width, usually red-white striped) also.

/Bo
bossee is offline Find More Posts by bossee
Last edited by bossee; Sep 19, 2015 at 04:08 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2015, 07:52 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,733 Posts
Thanks Bo! That is what I was thinking could be done. The "small road" you refer to is just a fence line dividing the two fields with some trees and brush in the fence line. The pilots and callers would need to be cognizant of the trees as they are 50 to 60 feet high and have been known to jump out of the ground to grab an airplane

We could swivel the safety line a bit to minimize the tree issue. Would be best to have the flight line run east and west but that would be "difficult" at best for pilots and judges.

Thanks again!

Ken
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 20, 2015, 10:42 AM
Find More Posts by perttime
Finland
Joined Nov 2004
4,617 Posts
I've only been to a Pattern contest as a spectator - but each time it has been some "special arrangement", instead of using a regular club field.
- a not too busy uncontrolled full size airfield: they got it closed for the day, NOTAM to that effect and X markings at the ends of the runway. Still kept listening on the radio and watching out for full size traffic.
- the secondary runway of an aviation sports field. Full size operations continued on the good runway. Only the parachutists were out of a landing zone for a weekend.

Depends on the bureaucracy that might apply in your neck of the woods, and what kind of open areas exist.
perttime is offline Find More Posts by perttime
Old Sep 20, 2015, 06:09 PM
Don't fear the reaper
Joined Jul 2011
5,733 Posts
Back when our club hosted some pylon racing we "borrowed" an airport for a couple of days. We still had somebody ( full scale) land in the middle of a race with four pilots standing on the runway. The pilot said he didn't see the "X's" on the runway. The airport manager gave him a stern talking to. Don't know if the FAA got involved or not.

A larger venue would be a nice thing to have!

Ken
RCG Plus Member