Sep 05, 2010, 06:31 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Esky Big Lama or Walkera Lama 400?

Which one would you get? Either one will be getting the extended shaft and will be flown out doors in calm winds or a slight breeze. Everything I've had Esky has worked great, but Walkera...not so much.

Are they approximately the same size and which one will handle more wind with the Extreme upgrades?

Edit:
This video makes the E-Sky look a little more impressiveL
Esky Big Lama With Long Shaft To Prevent Blade Strike (1 min 35 sec)
Last edited by GetterDragun; Sep 05, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 06, 2010, 06:48 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun
Which one would you get? Either one will be getting the extended shaft and will be flown out doors in calm winds or a slight breeze. Everything I've had Esky has worked great, but Walkera...not so much.

Are they approximately the same size and which one will handle more wind with the Extreme upgrades?

Edit:
This video makes the E-Sky look a little more impressiveL
Neither one comes brushless. The old standby replacement for the 370 motors on a HBFP was the Slo-Max. Now, they're out of production. That doesn't leave a lot of choices except to go brushless.
Walkera, as a rule, puts out some lousy videos of their new heli's. The one for the 400D makes it look like a flying brick.
My experience with Esky has been 72Mhz and the electronics is usually very glitchy/ twitchy. Again, they could have given you a brushless version and saved a lot of expense and hassles.
I just realized that the Esky is still 72Mhz (long extended transmitter antenna). It did seem pretty peppy. It doesn't say if it has been upgraded to brushless or not.
Sep 06, 2010, 07:27 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Rc711 was selling a 2.4 ghz brushless big lama for under $200. Lee
Sep 06, 2010, 08:47 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by leethetreeguy
Rc711 was selling a 2.4 ghz brushless big lama for under $200. Lee
Xheli has the 2.4GHZ big lama for $100 shipped.

So are the Big Lama and the Lama 400 basically the same?
Sep 06, 2010, 08:57 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
I don't own a lama 400. I usually steer clear of walkera copters. I do own a walkera U-fly though. Love it. I own two Big lama's. You couldn't get me to sell them for any price. They are big. But, so stabile. I fly mine in a very small office all the time. Fixing to charge a battery for it now. hehe. Happy Flying. Lee
Sep 06, 2010, 09:49 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Quote:
Xheli has the 2.4GHZ big lama for $100 shipped.

So are the Big Lama and the Lama 400 basically the same?
If you refer to them as being both co-axials, then YES!

from every other angle (and all the follows is ... as usual ... my very personal 2Cents) my answer would be "NO"

The Lama400 is bigger, has more powerful motors (stock), is A LOT heavier and also uses a very different frame concept.
While the BigLama stays within the Esky tradition of "Toy" plastic frames the Lama400 uses a fiberglass frame that is following the example of "real" helis (6Ch single rotor like TREX, CopterX ...)
Also, the Lama400 comes with a lot more aluminum parts in the stock version than the Big Lama does (however the aluminum parts are - from a material quality point of view - rather cheap ...
From a point of view of flight characteristics the Lama400 (in stock form) seems to me yet a little more sluggish (well, sluggish is not really the correct word, but you definitely feel the amount of weight that has to be moved ...) than the BigLama ...
... so to really get to experience their full potential you would need to convert either of them to brushless motors ... and that seems (again - just to me!) to be a little more difficult with the Lama400 than it is with the BigLama!
In terms of modding and "beautifying" the BigLama seems to have a larger array of parts to choose from than the Lama400 I would say ...

... and as usual: always just my 2Cents!

Latest blog entry: Random Pictures ...
Sep 06, 2010, 10:47 AM
Guitar Player
I don't own the big lama, but had the same question when I bought my 400D. For me it came down to scale or not. I am not a big fan of the scale heli's and thought that the sexy factor of the Walkera was cool. After having it and crashing it and fixing it, I do love the 400D! It is a blast to fly. Even though I have a few FP heli's now I find that when the weather permits, I get the 400D up and it is a caliming and fun experience.
Sep 06, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thread OP
So which one is better outdoors, or is it a wash?

This isn't my first heli, I just want a relzxing coaxial to take outdoors on a calm day that I could maybe attach a small camera to.
Sep 06, 2010, 11:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russbrigham
I don't own the big lama, but had the same question when I bought my 400D. For me it came down to scale or not. I am not a big fan of the scale heli's and thought that the sexy factor of the Walkera was cool. After having it and crashing it and fixing it, I do love the 400D! It is a blast to fly. Even though I have a few FP heli's now I find that when the weather permits, I get the 400D up and it is a caliming and fun experience.
What would you have done if you had seen THIS before you decided which one to buy?

Esky Big Lama Pod-and-Boom conversion.wmv (2 min 55 sec)
Sep 06, 2010, 11:15 AM
Quote:
So which one is better outdoors, or is it a wash?

This isn't my first heli, I just want a relzxing coaxial to take outdoors on a calm day that I could maybe attach a small camera to.
I don't have the option to fly outside, so I cant answer that part of the question ... as far as mounting the camera is concerned, it depends on your camera (mainly) but I would say the Lama400 leaves you a larger amount of choices (of camera to choose from) as it seems to be able to lift more than the BigLama ...

Quick Reply