SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 06, 2008, 03:35 AM
Find More Posts by Zero3803
Kennesaw, Georgia
Joined Jul 2007
1,752 Posts
Question
Tips on flying delta wing

I have experience with high wing aileron trainers as well as low wing aerobatic 4 channel planes. I'm going to be flying my first delta wing and wanted to see if I could collect any tips for the first flight. I've never flown a wing setup on elevons outside of realflight. I have no problems on the sim, but I don't personally trust it 100% on flying patterns. Any basic movements I should implement during the flight or any tips in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Zero
Zero3803 is offline Find More Posts by Zero3803
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 06, 2008, 08:54 AM
Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Crossville, TN
Joined Dec 2004
2,907 Posts
Zero, there is some initial disorientation in the turns..just stay ahead of the plane with your mind. Holding it at arms length and visualizing the different attitudes helps.
Disapline yourself to fly a training pattern to begin with. I suggest figure eights to get used to what it looks like turning both ways.
Some are helped by contrasting colors from top to bottom and wing to wing.
Art Schmitz is offline Find More Posts by Art Schmitz
Old Aug 06, 2008, 11:09 AM
Find More Posts by bartricky
Shelter Kitty "Orange Death"
United States, FL, Monroe
Joined Jan 2008
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero3803
I have experience with high wing aileron trainers as well as low wing aerobatic 4 channel planes. I'm going to be flying my first delta wing and wanted to see if I could collect any tips for the first flight. I've never flown a wing setup on elevons outside of realflight. I have no problems on the sim, but I don't personally trust it 100% on flying patterns. Any basic movements I should implement during the flight or any tips in general would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

-Zero
Not all that different just a little slippery in the turns. If I get a little disoriented (turns) I give it up elevator and that seems to buy time to get reoriented. They are harder to see so your have to stay with it. Don't let it get low in the distance. HAVE FUN!
bartricky is offline Find More Posts by bartricky
Old Aug 06, 2008, 01:59 PM
raz
Find More Posts by raz
raz
Sportin my new 'do'
USA, CA, Eureka
Joined Dec 2004
6,235 Posts
I would go along with bartricky. They do get small quicker so keep it in close and not too low till you're used to it and have fun.
raz is offline Find More Posts by raz
Old Aug 06, 2008, 03:45 PM
Find More Posts by Xpress..
Hitec RCD CSR
United States, CA, Alpine
Joined Oct 2007
22,023 Posts
Don't worry about crashing either. Just pick it up and throw it back into the air.

My first wing was a bit hard to figure out at first, but after about 2-3 minutes of cruising around, I was getting lower and lower, and was experimenting with it, starting to do loops, rolls, and even inverted.
Xpress.. is offline Find More Posts by Xpress..
Old Aug 06, 2008, 05:45 PM
Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
89" Kool Aid drinker.
United States, CA, Ventura
Joined Dec 2001
3,134 Posts
CG is extremely important for flying wings. Just a little too far aft and the plane becomes a nightmare to control. Definitely use the forward edge of the recommended range at first, then slowly move it back to where you like it. You should never get to a point where it is neutral in pitch when inverted. Make sure that there is a little reflex in the elevons to help with the forward CG. Most of the delta's I have seen have been hand launch belly landers, if this is the same for you, a really good throw on launch will help immensely. A couple of steps prior to launch and a good follow through wouldn't hurt.

After you get it up on step, the sky's the limit. They fly just like conventional planes, except for the air brake effect on high g turns. You have to let them accelerate to get back up to flying speed usually.

Mike
Smash McCrash is online now Find More Posts by Smash McCrash
Old Jul 07, 2015, 08:48 PM
Find More Posts by Mock1
Joined Dec 2014
12 Posts
CG is god

I am new with delta wings. mini skyfun is my current plane of choice. I have crashed it many times in the process of learning . The center of gravity is everything with these type of planes is better to be a bit nose heavy and horrable to be tail heavy. Also wind gusts tend to want and roll you over easyer at lower airspeeds than conventional aircraft. on a windy day I fly a lot faster and the wind cant affect my flight path as much. They are increadably fast and manuverable and a blast to fly!
Mock1 is offline Find More Posts by Mock1
Old Jul 08, 2015, 09:17 AM
Find More Posts by flypaper 2
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
14,483 Posts
Try the Deltaray to learn on. It's an excellent trainer deltawing . Has landing gear that you can use, or easily hand launch it. Trained a few guys with it. Even has a panic button that when you push it, the plane will straighten out and fly level, no matter what position it's in.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2