New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:44 PM
Find More Posts by wankel7
tx
Joined Mar 2004
32 Posts
Discussion
Lateral balance after wing repair?

I had a repair on the left outer leading edge of my 2M sailplane. After the repair I found the center CG of the wings while joined and of course it tipped to the left since that is where the repair was.

It has taken two pennies taped on the outer tip of the right wing to have it balanced laterally.

Is there a cleaner way to do this other than packing tape and two pennies?

wankel7 is offline Find More Posts by wankel7
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:52 PM
Find More Posts by peterlngh
Joined Apr 2012
3,168 Posts
Hi.

It depends on what the wing tip is made of. If it's solid foam or shaped balsa one can cut a piece of steel rod or a bolt, drill a hole, and glue it in. For odd shapes it''s fairly simple to cast any shape you want out of lead. All you need is a chunk of lead, a mold, a small crucible, and a propane torch. Just about any lead bits will work. I use tire weights that I find in the gutter. A mold for that size could be made by bending up some tin or even a carved block of wood lined with aluminum foil. Make sure that you have adequate ventilation! Melt the lead and pour. Make it just a bit oversize so that you can shave off a bit with an old X-acto blade to fine tune it. Then just stick it wherever it won't show.

Cheers!
peterlngh is online now Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Jul 29, 2015, 03:54 PM
Find More Posts by wankel7
tx
Joined Mar 2004
32 Posts
It is a wing with ribs and spars....I might cut some of the covering on the top and then glue it on the inside :/

I guess it is ok to fly it with pennies taped to the wing to make sure it is ok before I glue?
wankel7 is offline Find More Posts by wankel7
Old Jul 29, 2015, 04:10 PM
Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
883 Posts
Yes I fly with temporary weight stuff taped on all the time. Sometimes for quite a while till I get around to putting it on permanent.
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb