SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2015, 05:52 AM
Find More Posts by DeweyAXD
"Meh... it'll probably repair"
United Kingdom, England, Oxon
Joined Oct 2013
617 Posts
Question
Flying Multirotors in China while visiting - things I should know?

Reaching out here to anyone that has visited or lives in China and flys FPV multis for aerial photography (sub 2kg non commercial).

I am heading to China later this year visiting a friend in Wuhan (Hubei province) for the majority of the time but also spending a few days in Xi'an (Shannxi province) and a few days of this will be driving through the countryside between the two citys.

We all know there is a lot of media hype and scare mongering in our mulit-rotor community in general and there is no denying that China is still a dictatorship and hence lawas of most of our countries just don't apply (and the ones that do are broken at your own peril!). I've read about the chap that got arrested for flying over the 'Forbidden City'... no real surprise there given the location.

What I want to know is should I really be worried about even taking my XuGong v2 with me and flying it around? Will airport security get twitchy about it for example?
I see plenty of footage from the country and I am guessing that, while a dictatorship, it is still basically just a case of being sensible, knowing where you are flying and above all avoiding accidental video capture of ANY government/military building etc (no change there from any other country of course).

Really would love to hear peoples real world experiances on this. People with genuine experience of travelling out there and getting FPV footage especially.

I will also be reaching out to people i know in the industray too who visit/test and fly there regularly for business testing (like ImmersionRC and a few retailers). Hoping if I can get enough info it will help others (especially if i choose to risk it).

Cheers guys.
DeweyAXD is offline Find More Posts by DeweyAXD
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2015, 06:03 AM
Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Commercial UAV Pilot
United Kingdom, England, Carlisle
Joined Mar 2007
2,629 Posts
Flying it will be far less of a problem than taking it into the country from my experience.
Scott Cuppello is offline Find More Posts by Scott Cuppello
Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:49 AM
Find More Posts by dragonblade
Joined Apr 2014
581 Posts
If they truly are as strict and over-regulated as your post suggests, it seems kind of ironic since the majority of multirotors are manufactured in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cuppello View Post
Flying it will be far less of a problem than taking it into the country from my experience.
And the quad probably originated in China in the first place.
dragonblade is offline Find More Posts by dragonblade
Old Jul 29, 2015, 09:22 AM
Joined Oct 2013
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cuppello View Post
Thanks Scott - you had troubles taking one into the country? Was it airport security/customs that were the issue?
Old Jul 29, 2015, 10:06 AM
Find More Posts by Oldgazer
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
3,101 Posts
I don't know about you, but I have no desire to see what the inside of a Chinese prison looks like...
Oldgazer is offline Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old Jul 29, 2015, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2013
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldgazer View Post
I don't know about you, but I have no desire to see what the inside of a Chinese prison looks like...
Exactly my reason for this post.... Happy to fly but don't fancy loosing half my vacation explaining a quadcopter but I really have no idea if it is that bad.
Just messaged the maker of this rather excellent video to comment.

Rising China (3 min 45 sec)
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:00 PM
Find More Posts by zzlzhang
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
i live in shenzhen china and ive been to america with a quad before.
Dont worry about it. Drones is very popular in China.
there is still something u need to know.
1,dont fly it in beijing or shanghai. other city is okay. u can fly a quad in the middle of basically every city as long as u stay away from the crowds.
2,dont fly it next to the millitary building( huge gate and with a national flag in front of it)

3,apply for a alipay account as soon as u come to china ,there is a few things u probably want to buy in china, 433 RC amprefier ,2W 5.8G transimiter and batteries.

the quad itself is okay in the airport. the problem is the batteries. normally its okay. but someone set fire on the plane just this week. the security is going insane laterly.

2.4G interference is horrible in some place. recommand 433amprefier if u want to fly it in the city.
(i test my phantom3 near the dji headquarters.....it can only goes 200m without losing image...)

i live in shenzhen ,right next to the hongkong border.
zzlzhang is offline Find More Posts by zzlzhang
Old Jul 29, 2015, 02:27 PM
Joined Oct 2013
617 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzlzhang View Post
i live in shenzhen china and ive been to america with a quad before.
Dont worry about it. Drones is very popular in China.
there is still something u need to know.
1,dont fly it in beijing or shanghai. other city is okay. u can fly a quad in the middle of basically every city as long as u stay away from the crowds.
2,dont fly it next to the millitary building( huge gate and with a national flag in front of it)

3,apply for a alipay account as soon as u come to china ,there is a few things u probably want to buy in china, 433 RC amprefier ,2W 5.8G transimiter and batteries.

the quad itself is okay in the airport. the problem is the batteries. normally its okay. but someone set fire on the plane just this week. the security is going insane laterly.

2.4G interference is horrible in some place. recommand 433amprefier if u want to fly it in the city.
(i test my phantom3 near the dji headquarters.....it can only goes 200m without losing image...)

i live in shenzhen ,right next to the hongkong border.
Excellent information.... this is exactly the sort of post I was looking for.

I am running my XuGong on 433mhz via EzUhf anyway so no problem there and 600mw vTX should be fine for my needs. Interesting about the 2.4 noise though.

I have friend living in Wuhan so my plan is to get him to buy 2 or 3 lipos in for me from Hobbyking so they are there waiting for me. I might try and take them home with me via asking the airline but I can always just dispose of them if they simply won't let me (not fussed on the return journey).

My main concern is getting it into the country and the reception that i recieve over there. I will likely only fly it a handful of times and always via safe flight rules as per any place i fly.

What are prices like over there at the moment? Are mainstream drones/drone parts cheaper than say US pricing? If it is a case that the prices are low then i might get him to order a Phantom3 and back pack and then bring it home with me.
Old Yesterday, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by zzlzhang
China, Guangdong, Shenzhen
Joined Jul 2015
2 Posts
the 2.4G noise is horrible also the 433. people using ridiculous amprefier here that's why.

ask him to buy lipo from taobao.
ace and lion is pretty okay.
but highly recommand LG MH1 18650 BATTERIES . the weldering is much easier here. 18650 give much more fly time than lipo. MH1 is less than 4USD here and the weldering is basically free.

if u r going to wuhan and xian. it's okay . and no need to worry about the security. drone is very popular here.

most parts is much cheaper here. but the " completed product" is not. phantom3 is about the same price here. phantom2 is cheaper here. phantom2 with H43D gimbal is 480USD something here if u got the discount .i can sell u mine (brand new in the box with sealing) if u want(i already have a phantom3...dji gave me one for prize....)

the thing u may want to buy is 433 rccontrol,motors, 5.8G 2W transimitter. monitor and things like this. all those is not legal and not a completed product is much cheaper here. buy huge motor here might be much cheaper here than any other place.
zzlzhang is offline Find More Posts by zzlzhang