Old Jul 25, 2015, 01:14 PM
Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
United States, MN, Orono
Joined May 2011
577 Posts
Question
Strong, Non-mixing Foam Glue

Hi all,

A brief question to anyone who may know: I am looking to find a glue that can be used for a specific purpose. I am trying to glue two pieces of thin depron together over and over again for a project, so this glue must be clean and cannot require mixing like 2-part epoxy. Also, it needs to be fairly strong as the depron pieces are bent in such away that they will stress the glue joint. It can't be your typical foam glue that is soft when dry and tends to move.

Any ideas? I looked at Gorilla glue, but it expands which will not work for me. Two-part epoxy would work, but I don't have time to mix it over and over again.

Thanks for any suggestions you may have!
FPV_Habu_Flyer is offline Find More Posts by FPV_Habu_Flyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2015, 05:43 PM
Find More Posts by hotdogsteve
Joined Jul 2015
7 Posts
I used to use a latex carpet glue to bond bulsa to foam in the old days and still have the wings today with no separation after 20 years.
hotdogsteve is offline Find More Posts by hotdogsteve
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:38 PM
Find More Posts by 335driver
USA, TX, Round Rock
Joined Dec 2006
481 Posts
You might want to try Beacon Hold the Foam glue for styrofoam. You could use a longer cure time epoxy and mix enough to cover the surfaces. Or for giggles n' grins try lo temp hot glue.
BTW, Beacon makes a wide variety of foam glues.....beaconcreates.com
335driver is online now Find More Posts by 335driver
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:50 PM
Find More Posts by rocketsled666
If it flies, I can crash it.
Joined May 2012
793 Posts
Foam-Tac. Cures clear, flexible, strong enough to use as hinges.
rocketsled666 is offline Find More Posts by rocketsled666
Old Jul 26, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Are you edge bonding or laminating? Would help to know that. Also, how thick are the depron pieces? My fave would still be GG, just have to manage the foaming with tape or? Depending on the actual conditions
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Jul 26, 2015, 07:51 PM
Find More Posts by dayhead
SlingWinger
San Bernardino, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
1,927 Posts
I like spray adhesive.
dayhead is online now Find More Posts by dayhead
Old Jul 26, 2015, 09:30 PM
Find More Posts by yanrc
Joined Sep 2014
56 Posts
best glue so far..
yanrc is offline Find More Posts by yanrc
Old Jul 28, 2015, 11:33 PM
Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Feb 2010
355 Posts
I find myself laminating large areas of foam, and I quickly learned that if it needs contact with air to cure/dry, then you need to look into a two-part glue like an epoxy. I have had very good luck using Gorrilla-Glue and giving it a fine-spray/mist with water to activate (two-part glue), previously I looked into “pre-curing” contact cement but styrofoam does not like the stuff.

Good luck
JD

If it will not cure/dry in its plastic bottle, then it probably will not cure/dry trapped between two layers of impervious plastic two inches from the nearest air. Balsa builders did not have this issue, with balsa being a permeable wood stick.
JD-Slow-Thumbs is offline Find More Posts by JD-Slow-Thumbs