Old Jul 23, 2015, 10:58 PM
Find More Posts by lvlender
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Question
Correct torque for drive cable collet

Hi Guys,

this is my first r/c gas boat. I am using a collet and round-end 1/4 inch flex drive. I sure don't want the cable to slip out of the tube, taking my brand new prop to the bottom of the lake. Of course, I don't want to over-torque and stretch the threads that hold the collet on, either. How much oomph do you guys put on the wrenches when you tighten the flex drive collet??

Thanks!
Kevin Savage
lvlender is offline Find More Posts by lvlender
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 24, 2015, 04:36 AM
Find More Posts by w3bby
Helsingborg, Sweden
Joined Jul 2005
290 Posts
Make sure the flex is all the way through the collet, bottomed out is how I go, then use as much oomph as you can and then a little more. Not very scientific I know but you cannot get them too tight.....

You may wish to use a shaft saver as well on the flex in case it does let go. That way you don't loose the cable and prop.
w3bby is offline Find More Posts by w3bby
Old Jul 24, 2015, 05:11 AM
Find More Posts by sleepwalker
United States, PA, Clearfield
Joined Jan 2007
546 Posts
Here's a nice setup for a round collet using a shaft saver and a grease block, unless you have a T bar with a grease fitting.
sleepwalker is offline Find More Posts by sleepwalker
Old Jul 24, 2015, 08:03 AM
Find More Posts by Strictlybusiness
United States, NC, Graham
Joined May 2015
79 Posts
A severe clamping force can be applied to the "true split collets" shown in the photos because they are split from end to end. They can be used indefinitely because they are made of AISI O-1 hardened & tempered tool steel. Notice the hardened thrust washers, in the last photo, that ride between the back end of the split collet & the inside of the clamping nut. All pieces are interchangeable & give a total indicator runout of less than .0002". Severe tightening of the 5/8" hex nut does nothing to the cable or the collet mechanism! The loss of a cable, which could break at any point from the collet to the propeller shaft, is prevented with the simple system shown in the second photo.

Jim Allen
Strictlybusiness is offline Find More Posts by Strictlybusiness
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:12 PM
Find More Posts by Ron Olson
RC boat Rock Star
Kalamazoo, MI
Joined Apr 2004
3,117 Posts
I don't know of any inch-pounds or foot-pounds of torque, I just tighten them down as much as I can with 6" wrenches.
Ron Olson is offline Find More Posts by Ron Olson
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 26, 2015, 11:18 PM
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Thanks to all who answered my question. I really appreciate the help.
Regards,
Kevin savage
Old Jul 27, 2015, 03:18 PM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
932 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvlender View Post
Hi Guys,

this is my first r/c gas boat. I am using a collet and round-end 1/4 inch flex drive. I sure don't want the cable to slip out of the tube, taking my brand new prop to the bottom of the lake. Of course, I don't want to over-torque and stretch the threads that hold the collet on, either. How much oomph do you guys put on the wrenches when you tighten the flex drive collet??

Thanks!
Kevin Savage
Explain to me how a flex cable will slip out of the tube and you loose your prop?
If you have a one piece flex cable with a ferrule welded on where can your prop go? I don't even use a collet.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Old Jul 27, 2015, 05:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
10 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by txt killer View Post
Explain to me how a flex cable will slip out of the tube and you loose your prop?
If you have a one piece flex cable with a ferrule welded on where can your prop go? I don't even use a collet.
round end cable drives do not have a ferrule welded/soldered on. They rely on the gripping power of a tightened collet to remain in the drive shaft tube.

Square end cable drives do have a ferrule as there is no collet gripping the cable. the cable on square type drives floats freely in the square hole collet. Your cable drive must be the square drive variety.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 07:49 PM
Find More Posts by txt killer
Joined Apr 2008
932 Posts
Then you should be using a shaft saver(shaft collar) before the strut to hold the prop shaft on from falling off. Just like I use a ferrule. That's what I use on my other boat. I have both types of flex cables (square end and round end). I make my own flex cables now as buying them is expensive (especially the one piece cable with the prop shaft) and switched to using a ferrule on both of my boats.
txt killer is offline Find More Posts by txt killer
Last edited by txt killer; Jul 28, 2015 at 08:45 AM.