New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2015, 09:50 AM
Find More Posts by basicguy
Ayn Rand Sez.............
United States, MO, La Plata
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
Help!
Cutting foam sheets to simulate curved surfaces.

Does anyone have a formula or spreadsheet that they use to generate polyhedron shapes that simulate curves.

I understand the principle but not the detail. When I want a shape, I just cut the variable wedges out of the flat surfaces gradually till I get an approximation of the contour that I want. It is a slow tedious job that wastes a lot of material.

It would be nice to input the main variables and have a plot to trace.

Google has not been my friend.

TIA
basicguy is offline Find More Posts by basicguy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:28 AM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,955 Posts
One name; Pepakura
Bare is offline Find More Posts by Bare
Old Jul 01, 2015, 11:02 AM
Find More Posts by springer
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
I design my planes in sketchup, and one of the aspects of doing that is that I get faceted surfaces instead of smooth, continuous curves. Even though it doesn't look as nice on screen, it works well for me, as I can flatten the surfaces and when I bend or roll the pieces, they form the smooth curves. Just what you need, another tool to learn, eh? Ain't Retirement fun? Be careful about letting the wife get ahold of sketchup, who knows what she can do with that kind of artistic power???
springer is offline Find More Posts by springer
Old Jul 01, 2015, 03:09 PM
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
My computer must FUBAR. It is linux and is kind of stuck between two versions. Can't update without the new version saying that the file system is bad. Have been trying to install wine so I can install sketchup....
Old Jul 01, 2015, 05:37 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Bummer, but i guess sketchup is pretty much a ms windows progr. Though i think i saw they have it forApple as well, now.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 08:30 PM
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
Is there any mechanical way that anyone uses. Something like a compass set to a certain radius. There must be some geometry that describes what I am looking for.

My wife enjoys the hobby too for which I am grateful. She approaches things from an art perspective more than from a computer point of view. We try an stay about 3 generations back on computer technology.
Old Jul 01, 2015, 10:08 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,955 Posts
Erm.. Did you even look up Pepakura ??
It was a Serious well considered answer .. a horses to water issue methinks.

Pepakura a Freebie(mostly) program (actually a series of pgms) that turns Flat surfaces into 3d objects by printing out a complex pattern that one cuts or plots out, then assembles.
It's Very Good at this. Does that Seem like what you wanted ??
http://www.tamasoft.co.jp/pepakura-en/
Last edited by Bare; Jul 01, 2015 at 10:14 PM.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 04:41 AM
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
Isn't that an amazing image. I have the wrong computer for it though.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 12:09 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
Bare:Pepakura is really cool, automates what I have to do in sketchup by hand, but still needs the original 3d model info to start. Basic is (i think) looking for something that will work with simple shapes as opposed to actual 3d info. Am I right Basic?

What you are considering I seem to recall from my drafting school days, where we developed the heating duct and funnel surfaces manually. It was amazingly tedious, though! You may have to just finish your linux upgrade, or maybe find someone getting rid of an old Windows computer. Sketchup worked all the way back to my 2002 or so Compaq.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 05:27 PM
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
Yes I have been reviewing what both of you said. I would rather spend the money on foam than on a new computer. My computer has LibreCad on it I think a 2D drafting system. I have not had any instruction, it is something to draw lines even for me at the moment.

Had drafting in the mid 60's Sharp pencil, drafting table, french curve that sort of thing. In the 70's I did layups of 2 sided PC boards. Photo etched the boards drilled and soldered components. Just never got back to drafting. I see yours, Mike and bird of play and am somewhat envious.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 08:34 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
10,723 Posts
I'm flattered...

My thought was don't spend money on new computer, rather take over a PC someone is pitching for a new one, and only do sketchup on it, like for free! Then spend the money on foam!
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:32 PM
Find More Posts by ToyStar
Penang, Malaysia.
Joined Apr 2009
51 Posts
Slacko Puppy

Try Puppy Linux, it can run from a PenDrive and only requires 256MB of RAM. Slacko will do fine, you can get it here:-

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%...%20Release.htm

You will also need a PET version of wine to run Sketchup, get it here:-

http://distro.ibiblio.org/puppylinux...ackages-lucid/

Have fun.
ToyStar is offline Find More Posts by ToyStar
Old Jul 02, 2015, 09:59 PM
Find More Posts by Bare
Canada
Joined Nov 2000
7,955 Posts
it's possible to Buy a 'student' copy of Rhino for less than a $100. It has a "smash' command that turns a 3d (That you've drawn or imported) into a flat surface.
Fairly easy to locate a 'student' .
Or even temporarily enroll in a Adult Ed course to achieve credible student status.
For 2d ...Nothing... approaches Draftsight pricings/quality
.. http://www.3ds.com/products-services...free-download/
A functional equivalent of current Autocad...yet it's Totally Free (no strings beyond getting Advert Emails occaisionaly).
Computers are essentially worthless, once partially outdated.
Such ones (craigslist) can be had for Tens of $.
Old Jul 02, 2015, 11:34 PM
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
Take a adult ed course? That is the long way to the end. I was and still am hoping for some geometrical solution.

My wife had Puppy on her computer Had wine installed. For some reason puppy won't load on my computer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bare View Post
it's possible to Buy a 'student' copy of Rhino for less than a $100. It has a "smash' command that turns a 3d (That you've drawn or imported) into a flat surface.
Fairly easy to locate a 'student' .
Or even temporarily enroll in a Adult Ed course to achieve credible student status.
For 2d ...Nothing... approaches Draftsight pricings/quality
.. http://www.3ds.com/products-services...free-download/
A functional equivalent of current Autocad...yet it's Totally Free (no strings beyond getting Advert Emails occaisionaly).
Computers are essentially worthless, once partially outdated.
Such ones (craigslist) can be had for Tens of $.
Old Jul 03, 2015, 01:50 PM
Joined Dec 2014
575 Posts
I figured out one of my computer problems. The laser head on my dvd drive was dusty and i wasnot able to boot Puppy (or read any other disc). I installed wine and it doesn't have a menu as i recall it. Still stumbling but maybe a little closer to being able to load sketchup, and trace patterns onto foam.