New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by Sleepyc, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 09:45 AM
Find More Posts by HarrierFan
United States, PA, Pennsburg
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
I ordered in December of 2013. That is months after the beginning of the sale at $500.

The box is plain cardboard (front and back skin over single corrugated center). The clasp works great and the foam is cut to fit the bug. There is a shutdown mode for putting the bug in the shape to fit the box foam.

Both my Galaxy Note 3 and my wife's old iPad easily connected to the bugs WIFI but Safari would not control the bug. My Chrome browser in the Note 3 worked perfectly. I think the iPad would be better so I am going to load Chrome in it too.

Cheers
HF
HarrierFan is offline Find More Posts by HarrierFan
Last edited by HarrierFan; Jul 16, 2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:21 AM
Find More Posts by muscleflex
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,978 Posts
man i'm really jealous! i wanted to get this and it was around $499 or something at the time when I came across it but my wife said no and believe me - I tried to persuade her! (I have 2 pet tarantulas!)
muscleflex is offline Find More Posts by muscleflex
Old Jul 16, 2015, 03:55 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
if you post a picture of your largest tarantula with a known size object in the picture, I will composite it with the bug at the same scale.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 04:04 PM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,978 Posts
haha excellent! Ok I'll do it tomorrow or this weekend. I'm off work tomorrow so I'll try then. Can't do it now as it's 10pm and dark.
I'll probably use the old skin. I've never dared pick up my Salmon Pink - I'm too scared! My old Chilean rose was easier to handle as she was very docile.. but this Salmon, well, I'm not too sure so I have never tried!

I have a Mexican Red Knee as well but that's still small (about 3-4 inches long)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 07:52 PM
Find More Posts by DeadLeaves
FPV noob
Australia, NSW, Bywong
Joined Oct 2011
57 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrierFan View Post
I ordered in December of 2013. That is months after the beginning of the sale at $500.

The box is plain cardboard (front and back skin over single corrugated center). The clasp works great and the foam is cut to fit the bug. There is a shutdown mode for putting the bug in the shape to fit the box foam.

Both my Galaxy Note 3 and my wife's old iPad easily connected to the bugs WIFI but Safari would not control the bug. My Chrome browser in the Note 3 worked perfectly. I think the iPad would be better so I am going to load Chrome in it too.

Cheers
HF
Awesome, great to hear you finally got it!!

I've got so many questions, but I'll let you enjoy playing with it rather than bombard you.

I'm gonna have to get some more batteries though, one is never enough.
DeadLeaves is offline Find More Posts by DeadLeaves
Old Jul 16, 2015, 08:56 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Go ahead and ask away.

My plan is to shoot a video and show the controller in action. I just got a new Sony cam mini with the bracelet and it works really well. I put it on the side of a baseball cap but I had to cut the bill back as it was in the view too much.

Cheers
HF
Old Jul 17, 2015, 01:00 AM
FPV noob
Australia, NSW, Bywong
Joined Oct 2011
57 Posts
Nice, can't wait to see that vid with the controller input.

I assume the battery is a 3.6volt NiCd or a NiMH, looks like 3 AA's joined with heat shrink and a power cable. Could you post a pic of it?

How do you charge the battery? Does the T8X have a DC in socket, or is there a charger?
Old Jul 17, 2015, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Battery is 4.8V 1600mAh Ni-MH 4s AA size with standard three pin plug only using two pins.

Yes, the charge port is on the bottom of the bug along with the power switch. It is DC in of course.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 09:33 PM
FPV noob
Australia, NSW, Bywong
Joined Oct 2011
57 Posts
Thanks!

I've got a ton of AA eneloops, so I'll probably make up a battery holder and not use the bug charger at all. All I'll need is the connector, might even sacrifice the factory battery and connect the leads with a little JST.

This is the holder I'm thinking of:

Hanging out for your video!
Old Jul 18, 2015, 12:05 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Robugtix R8X controller introduction (11 min 7 sec)

Cheers
HF
Last edited by HarrierFan; Jul 28, 2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 03:21 AM
FPV noob
Australia, NSW, Bywong
Joined Oct 2011
57 Posts
Cheers for that, finally someone showing us how it all works! Really appreciate the video and your input man.

I'm interested to see how to add scripts, that's a big part of what I want to do with the bug. When you bring up the "browse" option, does the T8X come up as removable drive? There must be some way you can move data back and forth from a PC to the bug, like firmware/scripts & such. I guess we might have to wait for robugtix to release the Controller User Guide & Serial Command Reference.

What are the stoppers on the bottom of the feet like? They look like a shiny hard rubber... Do you think that changing them for some softer/tackier rubber would improve grip & walking speed? Maybe even just sanding them slightly would help.
Old Jul 19, 2015, 08:20 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadLeaves View Post
Cheers for that, finally someone showing us how it all works! Really appreciate the video and your input man.

I'm interested to see how to add scripts, that's a big part of what I want to do with the bug. When you bring up the "browse" option, does the T8X come up as removable drive? There must be some way you can move data back and forth from a PC to the bug, like firmware/scripts & such. I guess we might have to wait for robugtix to release the Controller User Guide & Serial Command Reference.

What are the stoppers on the bottom of the feet like? They look like a shiny hard rubber... Do you think that changing them for some softer/tackier rubber would improve grip & walking speed? Maybe even just sanding them slightly would help.
I want to add and modify scripts too but there is no way that I can see to do that. The only script we can see is just too short and simple to be of use as it only uses a body roll subroutine. We need to see the list of all the script commands.

There is no drive added to windows and no way to see the internal scripts as the edit button is grayed out.

The feet are like rubbery plastic dip caps. The kind you find on the adjustable end of a Firestick CB antenna. They slide on the table top easily. I do not know if stickier would be OK from the point of view of over stressing the servos.

The battery pack does not last long. Another pack would be useful. My bug likes to squat in the rear after walking. It does not do it if you lock the height slider above 50%. It must be a software thing.

It always comes on with the aqua color. If you change it, it will be forgotten when you restart it later.

The IE browser with a windows touch screen is not well tuned to the controller. it often freezes or buttons become unresponsive.

I really like the look of the bug and it has scarred people already that just do not believe what they are seeing.

I want the long rumba dancing script file! when do they give us that? There is a cat video posted on youtube now. It is good.

Cheers
HF
Old Jul 22, 2015, 02:56 AM
Leeds, UK
Joined Nov 2004
1,978 Posts
cat video?? I want to see that!
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:53 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
The cat meets the T8X (3 min 32 sec)
Old Jul 28, 2015, 05:30 PM
Joined Jan 2010
16 Posts
As this is an RC robot, can we move this thread to the Robotics forum?