HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 27, 2014, 10:11 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Build Log
Wicked Powered Zeta Ultra Z Blaze Radjet Ultra Twin 55mm EDF

This will be my build log for the Zeta Ultra Z Blaze Twin 55mm EDF which is goes by the name of Radjet Ultra.

My setup will be the following:

Motor: Two Wicked 4000 motors with standoff and 3mm shaft
Fan units: Two Hyperflow 56mm EDF
ESC: Two Hobbywing Flyfun 40 amp ESC

More to come

Don
The Don is online now Find More Posts by The Don
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
OK here are some updates.

First my impression of the kit is that it is molded very nicely and the surfaces are smoother than expected. I have no real complaints on the kit so far. My major dislike is the flat bottomed airfoil for a flying wing and for a model that is intended to fly fast. It really needs to have a symmetrical or at least a semi symmetrical airfoil.

1) Fan units have been dynamically balanced. The Hyperflow rotors are now made from a much stiffer plastic than in the past but the spinner still is the same. I tried to balance with the spinner but was not able to as the spinner "flexes" at higher rpm due to the way it is designed and the way the screw holds it so I opted to balance with no spinner. Flight test in the past have shown no effect on performance with or without the spinner up to ~125 mph so it is only an aesthetics piece we are not using.

2) Did a test fit up of the fans and ESCs. The Hyperflow fan housings are about 1mm smaller than the molded area for the fan units. So some work will need to be done to get them to fit correctly.

Thats all for now.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Jan 30, 2014 at 06:47 AM.
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Some more work done today. Soldered the whole power train together. I had to add 10" to the ESC battery leads. More to come.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Feb 05, 2014 at 10:41 PM.
Old Feb 14, 2014, 10:39 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
United States, TX, Garland
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Just send this to me so I can finish it up!!!! Been waiting for this one to fly...
fh64_lucky is offline Find More Posts by fh64_lucky
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 14, 2014, 11:02 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
I did not think anyone was even looking at this thread! I got a little more work done on it. The fans are hot glued in and I am working on the ESC placement, will have more photos tomorrow. Realistically flying weather is still 6 weeks away for me :-(
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 15, 2014, 10:45 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Todays progress

1) hogged out some foam for the ESC to fit into.
2) ESC hot melt glued into place
3) ESC wires hot melt glued as well to help contain them

The next steps are because the Hyperflow housing is a little smaller than what is molded into the model. So than means that when the top cover is put into position there is a gap around the top of the fan unit. So to correct this a small amount of foam needs to be sliced off the top hatch so it fits snugly. To do that I have retrofitted a Master Airscrew balsa stripper with a new sharp razor blade as it will make a nice clean cut.

4) Balsa stripper fitted with razor blade
5) slide along the edge and it will take a nice clean cut. The cuts are just around 1/8" thick, I found that I needed two passes (1/4" total) to get the right amount removed to make a snug fit.

More photos tomorrow.

Don
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Feb 15, 2014 at 11:00 PM.
Old Feb 16, 2014, 07:03 PM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
4S or 3S?
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Feb 16, 2014, 07:52 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
4S so about 1000 watts total
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2014, 09:50 PM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Yes, some of us always watching.....
I like twins, my A-10 I miss, this size twin is perfect to fly anytime. Keep going......
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 16, 2014, 10:18 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Here are a few more photos.

1) here is what the "gap" looks like after shaving off the foam
2) kind of hard to see but there is a gap over the top of the fan unit
3) using you fingers you can help curl the foam a little to make up for the missing foam gap
4) it should fit like this
5) make sure the motor is centered in the ducting

Next step is to make the thrust tubes. Right now the exit diameter measures 1.9" and it needs to be 1.65" for 80% FSA. If you leave it as it is it will be about 103% FSA which will be a thrust setup over speed. I want speed so next thing for me is to draw up the thrust tubes in ACAD.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 17, 2014, 08:34 AM
Ginger or MaryAnn ??
Joined May 2005
3,333 Posts
Same technique we used on Tigershark tail. Works very well.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 06:55 AM
I'd rather be Flying
Nashville, NC, USA
Joined Mar 1999
2,707 Posts
When you slice the foam to alleviate the gap, why not angle the cut so when you curl the foam together the exit diameter ends up the size you want it to be. So no need for a separate thrust tube.
davecee is offline Find More Posts by davecee
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:07 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
To get the correct diameter you would have to make an wedge cut that is 3.1415*(1.9-1.65) = .785" wide at the back of the model. I felt that was too much of a cut on to short of a length (~4" long). That is why I went the thrust tube route.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 18, 2014, 11:13 PM
Wonderfully Wicked
Willoughby, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
12,966 Posts
Here are some more photos. If I were to redo this build I would suggest making the thrust tubes first to make sure they fit over the back of the hyperflow fan unit before gluing them in. Also the foam "bump" in the photo with the pencil tip pointing at it, should be removed from with a Dremel before gluing in as it can make installing the thrust tube difficult.

In photos #3, I used a foam spacer strip, cut about 3/32" wide to make sure the thrust tube was centered in the outlet. I did draw up a spacer ring template in the PDF file. You can do it either way, just make sure the thrust tube is centered in the outlet before taping it to the fan unit so it does not effect the thrust line. Next step is installing the upper hatch.

Make sure to print the PDF template full size, do not let it fit to paper or autosize etc in your print settings.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by The Don; Feb 18, 2014 at 11:22 PM.
Old Mar 03, 2014, 07:03 AM
Denver CO
Joined Apr 2008
2,025 Posts
Don are you using hot glue to set the fan units or silicon?
D_FAST is offline Find More Posts by D_FAST
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Dassualt Alpha Jet