HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:21 PM
Dragons, Windmills. All Same.
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined May 2002
3,757 Posts
Trader Rating: 381
Yes, we can print through PayPal. Yet when funds are not, we cannot.

Sorry to hear about your boot prints.

Not hard for me to imagine a set of dual 23" commercial tire prints across a package returned to me.

Yes, shipping rates almost always go up and things can happen with all carries.
I have been using USPS since at least 1961 and am still pleased.
jcstalls is offline Find More Posts by jcstalls
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:47 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Trader Rating: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obake View Post
What package are you speaking of? I do not see in your posts where the problem is a damaged package, only your unhappiness about shipping costs.

Was it USPS that walked on that package or another shipper?
That was awhile back...it was from USPS...I've only had a couple damaged....that one was just bad...lol...the cost seems to be going up very rapidly
03svtsnakevert is offline Find More Posts by 03svtsnakevert
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:52 AM
-insert witty saying here-
United States, CT, Killingworth
Joined Dec 2005
1,744 Posts
Trader Rating: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
Yeah but multiple boxes are only a good idea if you can break it down that way...fuselages don't get any smaller and I'm not new to shipping
Oh, I have had those situations too, but the first thing I do when thinking about listing a plane for sale is break out the tape measure and estimate the shipping costs through the USPS site. No surprises that way.

Another idea is to remove the tail feathers. You'd be surprised how willing buyers are to have you do that when you tell them how much it'll save them in shipping.

My favorite tool of choice, flexible blade makes for nice close cuts

http://www.zonatool.net/35-400.html

-
Hemikiller is offline Find More Posts by Hemikiller
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 AM
Let it Be
USA, WI, Oshkosh
Joined Jul 2004
307 Posts
Trader Rating: 25
This might not apply to your local situation.

This is just an observation, after having read all the above posts, and after just having attended the 4th swap meet in the last couple months here in Wisconsin. I offer the following not as a solution to rising shipping costs or the dreaded "LPU" requirements, but as a fun alternative to online ad posting and shopping and shipping.

For the last 6-7 years, with the rise of eBay, Craig's List, RC Groups, etc. those of us who regularly attend swap meets have noticed a definite drop in the number of kits and decently completed and/or ready to go airplanes available for sale. For many many years, many RC enthusiasts around here had establilshed a regular cycle of build, fly, sell at a swap meet, build, fly, sell at a swap meet, etc. With the rise of these online "brokers", the number of kits and completed planes available at swap meets have dropped dramatically.

I'm not saying that online brokers are a problem, quite the contrary. The online brokers open up a whole universe of potential buyers. What I am saying, is that if you are anywhere near a "swap meet community", take advantage of what the swap meets have to offer as a place to buy and sell kits and completed planes, not to mention a ton of other RC and/or hobby-related things, all without having to worry about shipping or LPU. (Yes, I know, you do have to drive to get to a swap meet.)

In Wisconsin, between October and April, we have eight or nine well-established and well-run swap meets, put on by local AMA clubs, all within 100 miles of where I live. And they're fun too!
dhable is offline Find More Posts by dhable
Last edited by dhable; Nov 19, 2012 at 01:13 PM.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:13 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
I do love swap meets and attend all I can! Going to one on the first in hico
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:41 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Mar 2007
214 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
USPS has worked for me. I've sent a dozen or so airplanes through the PO and all have survived. A couple of the boxes were dinged though. I always go parcel post (6-7 business days to keep costs down. Insurance and delivery confirmation adds about 4 dollars.
WesternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WesternFlyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:43 AM
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Mar 2007
214 Posts
Trader Rating: 142
Another bright note is that I've got a USPS substation in a gas station about a mile away. Never have to wait more than a couple minutes for counter service. Find one in your town. They rock compared to the lines at the Post Office.
WesternFlyer is offline Find More Posts by WesternFlyer
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:20 AM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Well just learned the price of inflation

Quoted on sun by FedEx:
48x26x16 18 lbs to fl from tx 75.00

Today same package

Love it...like I said could've drove it there myself cheaper...hope the greediness gets em in the end...it's all about the almighty dollar
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:02 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,673 Posts
Trader Rating: 39
That FedEx guy that threw the flat-screen TV over the fence last year before Xmas pretty well swore me off that company.
Besides, around this one-hoss burg I live near, we don't have a 'Center' & they use the 'contract deliverers'. The ones that hold your package until they happen to be coming somewhere nearby & it's convenient for their schedule to drop it off.

I had some important papers I needed quickly - or rather, the firm I was dealing with needed to get them to me quickly, so I could read, sign everything & have them with me when I appeared at one of their regional offices a couple days later. The lady tells me (on the phone) "Don't worry, I'm-a FedEx Overnight them to you." I busted out laughing - couldn't help it - and she didn't have a clue. When I could catch my breath I told her they might's well reschedule the hearing a week or two later! I went ahead to the meeting - without the documents. They showed up 4 days (including the weekend) after the meeting. Still got the envelope & contents sittin' right here beside my computer, with 'Extremely Urgent' stamped all over it.

You can't win!
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:41 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03svtsnakevert View Post
Well just learned the price of inflation

Quoted on sun by FedEx:
48x26x16 18 lbs to fl from tx 75.00

Today same package

Love it...like I said could've drove it there myself cheaper...hope the greediness gets em in the end...it's all about the almighty dollar
48X26X16 from Dallas to Orlando - $143

48x26x14 - from Dallas to Orlando- $73

Shrink your box by a couple inches....
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:48 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
48X26X16 from Dallas to Orlando - $143

48x26x14 - from Dallas to Orlando- $73

Shrink your box by a couple inches....
Wasn't able to and maintain the integrity around the plane...like I said SAME size on Sunday was 75.00
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:53 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,744 Posts
Last time Fedex rates changed was Jan 2, 2012, must have been a keystroke error.

http://www.fedex.com/us/2012rates/
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:04 PM
USA, TX, Copperas Cove
Joined Jul 2010
613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemikiller View Post
Last time Fedex rates changed was Jan 2, 2012, must have been a keystroke error.

http://www.fedex.com/us/2012rates/
Nope I checked it several times that day
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:12 PM
Yea, I fly dusty planes..
United States, LA, Angie
Joined Apr 2009
2,052 Posts
Trader Rating: 31
Hemikiller, are you tellin me that if I get an account with UPS they will SEND me free boxing supplies and such?? ZZ
zeezee is offline Find More Posts by zeezee
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:29 PM
Joined Dec 2005
1,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeezee View Post
Hemikiller, are you tellin me that if I get an account with UPS they will SEND me free boxing supplies and such?? ZZ
Yup, they'll send you sheet and roll labels, label envelopes, stuff like that. All the boxes are for the premium services, such as Next Day air, etc, just like USPS and Fedex. You're on your own for packing materials if you want to send stuff via the slow boat though...
RCG Plus Member