HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by szastoupil, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 20, 2012, 09:41 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
The weather forecast looks somewhat promising (the temperatures won't be too high but the wind won't be blowing too hard) so I will make a run to the sod farm today. ETA 1:00 pm.
Bob J is offline Find More Posts by Bob J
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2012, 11:30 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
Yesterday we had six guys at the sod farm. Three of the DLG men were flying their Rare Bear's around imaginary pylons at high speeds. I thought I heard a faint boom as one ot them broke the sound barrier. When they landed, the leading edge of their wings had melted a bit from the air friction that results from their high speeds. I thought I heard one of them talking about designing a heat shield to protect the foam.
Today appears to be another great day; I'm confident that the Packers will win without us all being glued to the boob-tube. While I hope not, this may be the last good weekend of the season. Come on out and enjoy the fine fall weather.
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:39 PM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
Today looked like a great day. Yesterday was a blast flying the Bears full throttle while in formation. It's a nice change of pace to fly something different and recycling some old models that haven't seen attention in years. Who knows where this need for speed will end up. F5D pylon planes are becoming of interest, but not sure I would be able to handle the 200mph mark.
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Oct 27, 2012, 10:47 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
Temperatures in the low 40's and winds under 10 mph; great fall weather in Wisconsin! I'll be at the sod farm sometime after 1:00 pm.
Old Oct 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Joined Sep 2012
2 Posts
Contacting You

Bob, Tom and Mike,

Today we talked at the sod farm and I was going to forward an e-mail to you regarding altitude limiting devices. I find that I don't have your e-mail address, so could you send me a note to lmurray002@new.rr.com. I had a computer crash a couple of years ago and lost my address book.

OOPS! I remembered how to get this information from an email that Tim Sadler sent out. Never-mind.

Thanks,

Lee
LMurray is offline Find More Posts by LMurray
Last edited by LMurray; Oct 27, 2012 at 03:44 PM. Reason: slow memory recall
Old Oct 31, 2012, 11:15 AM
Scott Zastoupil
USA, WI, Waupaca
Joined Aug 2002
1,621 Posts
NOTAM 11/1 - No Flying

From the AMA. I also posted distances from our flying sites to Austin Straubel on the Maps section of the club website. I was curious how far the sod farm is. Our field coordinates are on the map page.

Distance to Austin Straubel Airport (Latitude: 4429'05"N, Longitude: 8807'47"W)
Quarry Field: 15.90 nautical miles
Anderson Sod Farm: 20.45 nautical miles
https://sites.google.com/site/valleyaeromodelers/maps
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A new NOTAM/TFR has been issued for the area surrounding Green Bay, WI for Thursday, 11/1 from 10:00a until 12:15p CDT. The TFR is issued for security purposes to cover VIP movement in this area. Outdoor radio control model aircraft operations are prohibited within the 30nm circle for the specific times listed below. Control Line and Free Flight modelers should use discretion when operating within the TFR. Please note that TFRs are subject to change with very short notice. Check back often for the most current NOTAM/TFR information.
Timely alerts are also available on the web at: http://www.modelaircraft.org/members...bs/notams.aspx or on your cell phone at: Twitter.com/amagov.
See the link to the TFR below for more detailed information regarding the restrictions:
Map View of the Affected Area
Area 1 (11/1, 10:00a 12:15p CDT)
(30nm radius from Latitude: 4429'05"N, Longitude: 8807'47"W)
Area 2 (11/1, 10:00a 12:15p CDT)
(10nm radius from Latitude: 4429'05"N, Longitude: 8807'47"W)
TFR - 2/4903
Regards

Government Relations Support Team
szastoupil is offline Find More Posts by szastoupil
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:08 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
235 Posts
With spring finally showing up, I'm wondering when the sod farm will be opening?
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old Apr 28, 2013, 08:34 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
I'll be at the sod farm today (Sunday) at 1:00 pm.
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:22 AM
United States, WI, Appleton
Joined Jul 2010
235 Posts
Alright! See you then.
Jimmitude is offline Find More Posts by Jimmitude
Old May 05, 2013, 07:26 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
72 Posts
Sod Farm Report

Flew yesterday afternoon at the Sod Farm. Field is wet, spongy with some standing water but quite flyable for electric assisted sailplanes and hand launched electrics. High start and winch launchings would not be wise. The Polaris XL had no trouble with take-offs and landings. I also flew the Mini AVAe and the Cularis. Thermals were there but weak.

The pin box and the new porta-potty were installed. The porta-potty is larger, looks new and clean and was anchored down. Thanks Tim and other members involved for arranging for the new porta-potty vendor.

I'll probably be back today for some more fun.
ButeoBorealis is offline Find More Posts by ButeoBorealis
Old May 05, 2013, 08:37 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
Good report Tom; I'll be at the sod farm at about 1:00 pm today.
Old May 05, 2013, 09:11 AM
Appleton
Joined Sep 2004
72 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J View Post
Good report Tom; I'll be at the sod farm at about 1:00 pm today.
See you there. I'll have the mini AVA receiver to return to you.
ButeoBorealis is offline Find More Posts by ButeoBorealis
Old May 05, 2013, 11:33 AM
Joined Oct 2011
414 Posts
Heading out to Quarry for flying in a bit should be there by 1.
jerrymeister is offline Find More Posts by jerrymeister
Old May 18, 2013, 10:04 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
The winds are forecast at 10-15 with a temperature of 70... Sounds like a good day for soaring.
I plan to arriving at the sod farm around 1:00 pm.
Old May 19, 2013, 09:55 AM
Fond du Lac, WI
Joined Mar 2005
512 Posts
The winds are forecast at 10-20 mph. I'm going to be optimistic and believe it will be closer to 10 than to 20. Besides, even if the wind does blow it will still be a good day for sitting in the sun and soaking up some vitamin D
ETA 1:00 pm.