HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2012, 09:21 PM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,752 Posts
Bird, I just used a Phase3 fan and motor from their F-16. dropped it right in the slot. Had to cut out elevons for good exhaust flow.

This jets been around a while and shows the hanger rash and weathering. Always been a go to plane as a pusher. Noiw with some touch ups, and a new paint job she'll be one of the first I reach for.

The paper duct I used here is only temp. I have some foam coffee cups to make a nice duct. I just hot glued the fan in place .
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
CNC Cutter
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2005
8,307 Posts
Nice full fuse mod and canopy.

thanks for pix.

Bob
birdofplay is online now Find More Posts by birdofplay
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:57 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,752 Posts
I made a balsa plug and pulled it from a cola bottle. I'm going to fill in the propslot on each side of the fan also, to better stabilize it.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
new kid on the block
United States, IL, Roscoe
Joined Nov 2011
374 Posts
[QUOTE]2212-6 2200kv motor with a 30A ESC and an APC 6X4E prop/QUOTE]
how is this set up going to compare to the speed of the jet in the first video made by the guy who actually designed it? is it going to be a lot faster? slower? low end or high end power? sorry the thought just came to me while studying lol
mr.michael.2468 is offline Find More Posts by mr.michael.2468
Old Apr 22, 2012, 09:35 PM
check for reversed controls
United States, CA, Chino
Joined Oct 2007
9,319 Posts
My son is using that motor, It has good thrust and wide range of performance from high alpha to swept back wings and rolling like a drill
alpea 41 is offline Find More Posts by alpea 41
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
"Five Easy Pieces"
United States, IN, Terre Haute
Joined Sep 2011
1,308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Test flew the F-14 with the EDF. I just dropped it into the prop slot with a small duct. She acted like she had plenty of thrust untill I tossed her up.

She flew in high alpha at a snails pace untill I was able to drop the nose some and she picked up speed but still not fast enough. I got her down in one peice, adjusted some things and tried again. Even slower, I could have walked past it. But then she landed in a tree. No damage as she wasn't going fast enough to break anything.

So into the shop for a look see. What I decided was that the elevons were blocking the thrust causing a nose up attitude. I removed just enough behind the fan for a clean exit. Also removed a little from infront of the fan..
You might want to check out my Tomcat build thread where I use what I dubbed "Elevons-on-a-Stick" which let me mount the elevons prototypically at mid engine below the main wing which would get them below the center of your thrust stream.
bobdaeronort is offline Find More Posts by bobdaeronort
Old Apr 23, 2012, 07:53 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,752 Posts
Thanks. I'll give it a look.
Old May 04, 2012, 04:56 AM
Uk Leicester
Joined Dec 2008
103 Posts
Has any one done a twin EDF ?

I think it would look nice with a full fuse and may be twin 50mm EDF's

I'm just looking at making the pods a little bigger to get twin 50 wemotec's in
Gazzaxr4x4 is offline Find More Posts by Gazzaxr4x4
Old May 04, 2012, 06:31 AM
Rhys - Forever Learning
United Kingdom, Wales, Nelson
Joined Feb 2007
359 Posts
Gazza, that would be a very welcomed idea.. not sure if such a design exists.

My F-14 is coming along very nicely... Swing wings are sorted. I shall post some picture on Monday as I am away for the weekend!
rhysduk is offline Find More Posts by rhysduk
Old May 04, 2012, 10:55 AM
Joined Aug 2005
2,752 Posts
Gaza, not taking away from this nice plane, but look at jetsets ( Steve Shumate) F-14, I believe some have modded it for a couple of fans. Bigger , full fuse design. I still have mine on the wall from years ago.
Old May 05, 2012, 09:19 AM
Uk Leicester
Joined Dec 2008
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
Gaza, not taking away from this nice plane, but look at jetsets ( Steve Shumate) F-14, I believe some have modded it for a couple of fans. Bigger , full fuse design. I still have mine on the wall from years ago.
Got it. . built it. . . big and heavy. . . LOL

I just printed out the plans and can now see its a tweak here and there so should be able to get 2x 50mm edf's in
Old May 23, 2012, 04:42 PM
Uk Leicester
Joined Dec 2008
103 Posts
So the weather here in the UK has been bloody awful rain rain and more rain so only one thing to do

Yea the Nacells look big but it looks awesome

Just placed my old Cockpit canopy from Steve Schumy F14 just before I paint the Gray

So all being well tomorrow I'll give the Twin edf F14 a wizz and see what she's like

And here we go all ready for Maiden

Last edited by Gazzaxr4x4; May 23, 2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: added last pic
Old May 23, 2012, 04:52 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
2,941 Posts
My TomCat

I flew mine last weekend at a War Bird event put on by my club. Being as small as it is (these guys mostly fly big birds) no one was interested in it when I hand launched. Once the word spread that the little F14 had folding wings it started to draw attention. By the time I landed everyone was looking. When they saw that it was a profile flat foamy they were truly impressed. That's the boss holding it before I put all the graphinc on. My litte Eskay 400XT motor does a fine job. Tom
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; May 23, 2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:06 PM
Uk Leicester
Joined Dec 2008
103 Posts
Double post deleted
Last edited by Gazzaxr4x4; May 23, 2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old May 23, 2012, 05:19 PM
Row 0, Seat A
Savannah, GA
Joined Jan 2008
2,657 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Smith View Post
I flew mine last weekend at a War Bird event put on by my club. Being as small as it is (these guys mostly fly big birds) no one was interested in it when I hand launched. Once the word spread that the little F14 had folding wings it started to draw attention. By the time I landed every one was looking. When they waw that it was a profile flat foamy they were truly impressed. That's the boss holding it before I put all the graphinc on it. That litte Eskay 400XT motor does a fine job. Tom
Hi Tom. Just a pointer. These are "folding" wings. Don't want that to happen to our Tomcats!

F-14s, F-111s, etc. have variable sweep wings colloquially known as a "swing wing" despite the Chinglish advertising to the contrary.

Ted
G550Ted is online now Find More Posts by G550Ted