HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2012, 01:37 AM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,289 Posts
I'm looking for a FPV setup that's really easy to transport (as compared to a plane with a tail section and wings) and I keep coming back to the Maxi Swift II, but I'm taken back by the price, $125, even more than the ritewing. Is there a specific reason for what seems to me a high price?
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:53 AM
Never trust laughing dolphins
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
I'm looking for a FPV setup that's really easy to transport (as compared to a plane with a tail section and wings) and I keep coming back to the Maxi Swift II, but I'm taken back by the price, $125, even more than the ritewing. Is there a specific reason for what seems to me a high price?
True, it might be a bit high, but it's pretty difficult to make the plane yourself for less money. They still make a profit, but it's not that unreasonable. Which one are you speaking of, Maxi Swift or Swift II. As far as I know there's no Maxi Swift v2 yet.
PHMX is offline Find More Posts by PHMX
Old Oct 23, 2012, 05:59 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lammergier View Post
For speed the micro dan is the ultimate motor. Low weight 34g and comes in several different kvs. The swift does'nt want to go super fast because of the thick airfoil so about 65mph is all it's good for. Faster than that things get messy.
i have one with a 2535 kv and a 1300mah 3s batt. AUW 16oz so it still handles good at low speeds.
Perhaps you've got drag issues with it? But it's perfectly possible to reach high speeds. The airfoil is very suited for high speeds.
Old Oct 23, 2012, 07:02 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHMX View Post
True, it might be a bit high, but it's pretty difficult to make the plane yourself for less money. They still make a profit, but it's not that unreasonable. Which one are you speaking of, Maxi Swift or Swift II. As far as I know there's no Maxi Swift v2 yet.
Ah thanks PHMX, I assumed all Swifts are V2 now. From pictures it looks to be a bit large for my purposes.

I think I'm going to order a Swift 2. Let me know if the combo should be avoided and best purchased individually.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Order placed for combo....
Last edited by heinduplessis; Oct 23, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 04:45 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Apr 2012
33 Posts
I crashed my Swift II, but then converted it to a glider for slope soaring. Replaced the Lipo with a Nimh, removed the motor mount amd patched up the gaps with bits of foam. Here's a video of the Swift II on the slope:

Swift II Slope Soaring (2 min 23 sec)
Free fall is offline Find More Posts by Free fall
Last edited by Free fall; Oct 28, 2012 at 04:53 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:58 PM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Hey guys, I have been flying the swift II's for about four years now and have three of them currently, and looking to purchase a 4th and add a 7" center section to make a wider blunt nose swift for FPV. But anyway, my favorite motor for the swift II is the 24 gram 1700kv blue wonder, on one of them I decided to remove the 1700kv motor and installed the 3000kv 24 gram motor, and I too experienced the roll at higher throttle and no response from the sticks until airspeed drops, reinstalled the lower kv motor and it flew great again, What I think is happening with higher power setups, is that at full throttle the swift starts to torque roll and the EPP elevons are so flexible that they stay straight and cannot deflect enough to counteract the increased load until that load is removed (cutting throttle)

Ps, if you want to keep the higher power setup, cut off the EPP elevons, and install balsa ones.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Oct 29, 2012, 12:10 PM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by antennahead View Post
Hey guys, I have been flying the swift II's for about four years now and have three of them currently, and looking to purchase a 4th and add a 7" center section to make a wider blunt nose swift for FPV. But anyway, my favorite motor for the swift II is the 24 gram 1700kv blue wonder, on one of them I decided to remove the 1700kv motor and installed the 3000kv 24 gram motor, and I too experienced the roll at higher throttle and no response from the sticks until airspeed drops, reinstalled the lower kv motor and it flew great again, What I think is happening with higher power setups, is that at full throttle the swift starts to torque roll and the EPP elevons are so flexible that they stay straight and cannot deflect enough to counteract the increased load until that load is removed (cutting throttle)

Ps, if you want to keep the higher power setup, cut off the EPP elevons, and install balsa ones.

Do you have motor brake set to on on your ESC? It might torque roll when you stop the motor abruptly, if it's torque rolling even under more normal circumstances you might have a too light aircraft for that high KV motor indeed.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 03:00 AM
USA, IL, Lake Forest
Joined May 2007
1,255 Posts
Quote:
Do you have motor brake set to on on your ESC? It might torque roll when you stop the motor abruptly, if it's torque rolling even under more normal circumstances you might have a too light aircraft for that high KV motor indeed.
I tried that motor with brake on and off, it didn't, really make a difference. And the torque roll isn't real fast, like it snaps on you, it just slowly starts to bank over and you slowly start to correct until your at half stick or more before you realize that it is not responding and cut throttle. I think balsa elevons would have solved the problem completely. I never tried because I didn't Want to cut my swift flag version up (it looks to nice) but if I build the blunt nosed FPV swift II I will have to put on balsa elevons from the start.
antennahead is offline Find More Posts by antennahead
Old Oct 31, 2012, 01:52 AM
Joined Feb 2011
2,085 Posts
Quote:
I tried that motor with brake on and off, it didn't, really make a difference. And the torque roll isn't real fast, like it snaps on you, it just slowly starts to bank over and you slowly start to correct until your at half stick or more before you realize that it is not responding and cut throttle. I think balsa elevons would have solved the problem completely. I never tried because I didn't Want to cut my swift flag version up (it looks to nice) but if I build the blunt nosed FPV swift II I will have to put on balsa elevons from the start.
Did you check the cg? It might be offset from center. I don't think these wings should have any kind of torque roll under normal conditions. A high KV motor doesn't necessarily means it's stronger in torque. More often than not it's the inverse. Anyhow, did you try a different prop yet, it might be a simple case of an inefficient setup. Just thinking out loud basically.
Old Oct 31, 2012, 02:45 AM
New Zealand
Joined Apr 2011
63 Posts
Quote:
Did you check the cg? It might be offset from center. I don't think these wings should have any kind of torque roll under normal conditions. A high KV motor doesn't necessarily means it's stronger in torque. More often than not it's the inverse. Anyhow, did you try a different prop yet, it might be a simple case of an inefficient setup. Just thinking out loud basically.
Most likely the higher kv motor pushed his plane faster.Yes the higher kv motor has less torque.
I think this problem is directly related to speed.

Quote:
The test is simple, go really high and dive vertical without motor on and see what happens.A camera facing the control surfaces would be even better.

And yes the problem is a slow roll that gets faster as you run out of stick trying to correct until its to late.If you take to long to realize whats happening and cut the throttle to late you get to far past the max speed for it to slow down enough to regain control before it hits the ground so be carefull
HydroThief is offline Find More Posts by HydroThief
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:52 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,289 Posts
Hey all

I assembled my Swift II and it flew incredibly well LOS.

I've added all my FPV gear, and now it needs much more speed (which is fine) but it's terribly twitchy. Any recommendations?

Swift II FPV Maiden (2 min 38 sec)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 05:39 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,567 Posts
@heinduplessis, Add a bit more of expo? I didn't saw any pics of the underside, have you also re-enforced it?
The extra weight+speed will make it flex more making it more unstable.

That convinced me to to finally convert mine to FPV.

Going to get a mount like this :

Wing Motor Mount

And swap the motor to one more powerful, need to put some CF in it as well to give more strength.

PS: My Swift2 has now +6yrs and it's still flying.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:06 AM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
These guys have a pretty good mount too
http://www.ezfpv.com/?page_id=117
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Dec 10, 2012, 07:42 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
@heinduplessis, Add a bit more of expo? I didn't saw any pics of the underside, have you also re-enforced it?
The extra weight+speed will make it flex more making it more unstable.

That convinced me to to finally convert mine to FPV.

Going to get a mount like this :

Wing Motor Mount

And swap the motor to one more powerful, need to put some CF in it as well to give more strength.

PS: My Swift2 has now +6yrs and it's still flying.
Sorry, missed the underside - yes I added a CF strip, which snapped on the first flight!?!?, so I added another. See below.

Power is definitely not a problem, I dare not open her up or strange things happen. I have the CG a tiny bit further back than what's in the manual.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 08:44 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,567 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
These guys have a pretty good mount too
http://www.ezfpv.com/?page_id=117
That's nice as well. when mine broke I made one in ply that looks that like.
The main issue that I had was that the horizontal mount after some time it would start to get loose.
Maybe due to the twisting force of the motor.
Eventually I ended up putting a zip tie around to make sure it would not get loose during flight.
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind