Old Dec 06, 2005, 04:50 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Alert
Recommended control horns?

Hi chaps,

Just wondering what make of control horn you'd recommend? I'd like to steer clear of plastic ones, but I'm sure there're preferred brands out there ... one's you solder into? Ball links?? ....

Any advice is appreciated.

Cheers,

David

PS. And a place to buy them in the UK would be even more appreciated!
Hogster is offline Find More Posts by Hogster
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 06, 2005, 04:54 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
whats it for? Plastics are plenty strong enough for most planes. Why would you need ball links?
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Dec 06, 2005, 05:03 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Well it's for my AP plane (Yes I am actually working on it again at last! ) .... and although I've only ever had one plastic horn fail, it caused the death of a model .... and for something that will be carrying at LEAST 600 worth of kit, I don't want something as simple as a linkage failure to seal the model's fate! Ball links would remove any slop from the control system.

Edit: They would be used for the ailerons, rudder and elevator.
Old Dec 06, 2005, 05:31 PM
SIU Aviation
Wheeling, Illinois
Joined Dec 2003
5,240 Posts
I say just search around towerhobbies.com. I'm sure you'll find something useful. I've always been happy with dubro hinges. Very strong, yet small and light. Nothing like the stock ss kind of control horns.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD936&P=7

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXET41&P=7
ball link
Kyle G. is offline Find More Posts by Kyle G.
Old Dec 06, 2005, 06:19 PM
Oops get the hot glue gun
Lansing, Michigan, USA
Joined Sep 2004
1,240 Posts
How about home made horns? I've built over 60 planes and have never bought control horns and have never had a failure of the home made ones, even after nasty crashes. Lots of nasty crashes actually.

I make mine from yardsticks (metersticks?) for most planes and for super strong ones I use PVC plastic. I buy PVC electrical boxes from the home center and use tin snips to cut the horns out using the boxe's built-in 90 degree corner. For the price of one store-bought set you can make a dozen PVC horns. My big twin motor 70" span, 40oz AP plane uses yardstick horns and control rods made from 18 inch 1/8" wood dowels with some music wire glued to each end.

I've never bought any balsa wood, lite ply, carbon rods, etc. either. I probably take this home made stuff to the extreme, but I enjoy scrounging airplane parts at the home center and from the recycle bins.

Just a suggestion, depends upon your interest in doing it yourself I guess.

Good luck,
Gary D.
FoamingInMI is offline Find More Posts by FoamingInMI
Old Dec 06, 2005, 07:22 PM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys

I've always used homemade horns on my homemade models actually .... the plastic one which failed was on an ARF ...

I guess the more important part is the clevices - any ideas on those? If anything in a control system's gonna break it'll be the clevices - either breaking under the strain, the pushrod coming out, etc. I've always fancied ball link joints even though I've only seen them used on mouldie sailplanes and hotliners where control precision is very important. It's just ... my usual homemade method is a rather crude Z bend on the end of a piece of piano wire and it's almost always sloppy .... I wouldn't mind using that type but it'd also be rather nice to use some proper bought gear - I mean, I've spent enough on the plane as it is, a few control accessories won't damage the budget!

Cheers guys!
Old Dec 06, 2005, 07:38 PM
Aerial Shutterbug
San Mateo, California, United States
Joined Nov 2001
5,007 Posts
Actually, Ball link based linkaging takes care of any mis-alignment issues between a servo arm's in-plane movement and that of the control horn, e.g., a heli's swashplate and cyclic servos. In most fixed wing applications, this is not a problem and ball links are not really necessary. The attached picture illustrates when a ball link installation becomes necessary when servo and control horn are not aligned longitudinally.

I've used metal and plastic clevis' and control horns on planes ranging from 16oz, 200 watt applications to 33% with no problems. Of course, proper selection of an appropriate size is in order.

That said, Du-Bro and Sullivan hardware is at the top of my general list for linkaging and hinging supplies followed by components from Air Wild and other specialty houses for larger scale aircraft supplies.

The second photo shows a Robart and Du-Bro pin hinges that I use for all of my aircraft's control surface hinging needs.

-Roger
RMihara is offline Find More Posts by RMihara
Old Dec 07, 2005, 08:56 AM
HeliAP'er!
Surrey, UK
Joined Aug 2003
8,167 Posts
Thanks for the info Roger

I went hunting for some ball jointed control arms and found www.rc-world.co.uk, and had a VERY nice chat with the owner on the phone. I told him my setup and he recommended Kavan Kwiklink metal clevises (bought 10) and after being given the description, 10 adjustable aileron control horns like this:

Seem to give you the best of both worlds. Adjustable height from the control surface allows you to adjust the sensitivity (shorter or longer moment arm), and you can rotate them to eliminate binding problems between the horn and the clevise.

Sorted!

Thanks guys
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:24 AM
Joined Sep 2002
2,098 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogster
Hi chaps,

Just wondering what make of control horn you'd recommend? I'd like to steer clear of plastic ones, but I'm sure there're preferred brands out there ... one's you solder into? Ball links?? ....
Just thought I would add here that horns made by Du-Bro (and others) are very sturdy and are made of nylon and attach with nuts/bolts... much different than the cheap "brittle" plastic ones often included with less expensive kits/ARFs.

I have never seen a nylon horn break in 12 years of flying.

SG

****** I should have noted here that I use the 1/2A size as mentioned below and on models up to 50 oz. *******
sierra-gold is offline Find More Posts by sierra-gold
Last edited by sierra-gold; Dec 07, 2005 at 10:06 AM.
Old Dec 07, 2005, 09:48 AM
Am I registered?
Chandler, Tx. USA
Joined May 2003
2,495 Posts
For most of my planes, I like the Dubro 1/2A part # 107. I try to use matching Dubro threaded control rods, 2-56 with steel quick link. Usually with hs81 servos. This has worked well for me up to 42oz planes...can't comment on heavier stuff.

Randy
Randy Due is offline Find More Posts by Randy Due
Old Dec 07, 2005, 10:14 AM
It's been a while.
Irvine, CA
Joined Jan 2005
2,690 Posts
Here's what Chris Klique uses on his 160 mph flying wings...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=658932
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/attac...hmentid=658937
Daniel G is offline Find More Posts by Daniel G