HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 30, 2005, 05:08 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Build Log
Formosa II build thread.

I have just recieved confirmation that my Formosa II Slope Glider kit is in an airliner between Taipei and Australia. I already have the Tower Pro 2408-21 brushless outrunner motor that I plan to use. As well I have a Jeti 18 3PBEC Advance speed controller and one each GWS Naro Pro and GWS Naro Plus BB servos. One each of GWS Naro Pro and GWS Naro Plus BB are on their way from Japan.

I plan to Use the Naro Pro servos in the wing and the two lighter Naro Plus BB mounted in the stock position just in front of the tailplane. GWS has stated that a "Y" lead and two servo extetion leads are included in the kit. This brings me to my first problem Jeti recomend only two servos when a 3 cell LiPolly battery is used.

I know that some people have fitted their GWS Corsais with 2 servos in the wing. I am wondering if anyone has used this set-up on 3 cells and if so were any problems experienced. I want to know in advance if I will need an alternate power supply for the RX and servos.

My first flights will be with an input power of 100 Watts as this coresponds with the input power of the stock motor, an EPSD-350.

Edit on 26 Mar 2009:- This thread has now grown to 124 pages and contains o lot of good information about the Formosa II. But to get this information requires a lot of reading so it has been suggested to me that I put some links to some of this information in this first post.

Recomended Mods List
My Motor Mount
Mixing Set Up
First Flight Report & CG
CG Position
CG Position
CG Position
UC Reinforcement
UC Mounting Plate
GWS Mustang Spinner
Set Up & Control Throws
Bonzes Mods
Control Rod Support
Elevator and Rudder conections using CF rods
AMA Masters Sequencce/Flight Report

Even with these links I recommend that this thread be read in its entirety because it will most probably answer questions that you have not yet thought of asking . Especially about things such as motor choice. If anyone has other links to good Formosa II info please Let me know and I will add them

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Last edited by kensp; Jun 08, 2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Clarify text
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:21 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Alternate power is a Good Idea if you're going to be pushing the limits of the BEC. The BEC's overheat failure mode is a complete shutdown of the Rx, so it's quite likely that your first indication of trouble would be losing the airplane...

You'll be able to measure the servo draw with a wattmeter to see how close to the limit you're actually going to be, but the Parkflyer BEC is very cheap (and light) insurance.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Sep 30, 2005, 10:34 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
rdeis

Do you have a link for the Parkflier BEC. The information you have given me is what i am looking for. Thank You

Ken
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:03 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
FWIW

I have a good 25+ flights on a GWS Corsair with two wing servos and 1 elevator servo. CC25 and an AXI 2212 20 on a 3S Lipo

GWS Zero 3 servos total Fegaio 22T CC10 3S Lipo No troubles

PZ P-51 3 Servos total, Mega 16/15/3 CC35 3S Lipo No troubles.

Ill be watching this one Ken. The wing span is in the 40" range on this one??

Best of Luck

Tommy
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D
Old Sep 30, 2005, 11:36 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Thanks for the info Tommy.

Ken
Old Oct 01, 2005, 12:57 AM
Flying motor mount master
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2004
8,745 Posts
Wow Ken I hope that airliner doesn't go down with the infamous Formosa II....

glug glug glug...

Keep posting!!! I want to see it!!!
fly_boy99 is offline Find More Posts by fly_boy99
Old Oct 01, 2005, 01:59 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,443 Posts
Glad to hear that you have them on the way to you.

I can expect your happiness will be shown here soon.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Oct 01, 2005, 04:29 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Mr Lin

Will you please ask your RD staff to post the control surface throws for the Formosa II. This will make my first fllight less nerve wracking. I have downloaded the picture on http://www.gwsus.com/english/service...ane_manual.htm but there are no sugested throws.

Ken
Old Oct 01, 2005, 04:55 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
So far I have identified two stand alone BEC Rx/servo power suplies. They are the Potencia 2.0A HV BEC and the Waypoint W-SBEC. Does anybody have a link to other stand alone BECs.

After looking at the photos of the ailerons I have decided to use a high Amp stand alone BEC for safety.

Ken
Old Oct 01, 2005, 09:56 PM
AMA 353531
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined Aug 2003
6,539 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Do you have a link for the Parkflier BEC.
Sorry, Ken, I don't- it comes up in the banner ad from time to time. "Parkflyer size BEC at a parkflyer price" <shrug>

I can't say for sure that the built in one won't work, I'd just say that if you have reason to be concerned err to caution.

I have a "UBEC" that I got from Hobby Lobby for my P-38, and I seem to remember a couple of other brands introducing them. You might poke around in the scale or power systems forums? Scale guys use lots of servos... Some of the jet guys do also.
rdeis is offline Find More Posts by rdeis
Old Oct 01, 2005, 10:29 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
16,637 Posts
Here is ParkBEC site.

http://www.dimensionengineering.com/...regulators.htm
Tom Frank is offline Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Last edited by Tom Frank; Oct 01, 2005 at 10:35 PM.
Old Oct 02, 2005, 12:27 AM
Joined Jul 2004
1,537 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kensp
Mr Lin

Will you please ask your RD staff to post the control surface throws for the Formosa II. This will make my first fllight less nerve wracking. I have downloaded the picture on http://www.gwsus.com/english/service...ane_manual.htm but there are no sugested throws.

Ken
I will check with Steve and let you know.

Ray
RAY GWS is offline Find More Posts by RAY GWS
Old Oct 02, 2005, 12:11 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Thanks to Ray and Tom for their info.

I have purchased a 5 Volt output Potencia 2.0A HV BEC to be sent by EMS. The EMS postage from the USA is a lot more expensive than from Japan. This means that My Formosa II will have flaperons, aileron diferential and coupled flap/elevator fitted from the first flight. As well after test flying is completed I will be able to use of 4 cells for posible E3D style flying.

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 02, 2005 at 12:17 PM.
Old Oct 03, 2005, 08:12 PM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
The Formosa II kit has arrived so I now have all the build components except the stand alone BEC.

The foam component weigh 307 grams (10.85 oz) so my aeroplane will weigh about 19 oz without an undercarriage. The wheels and UC wires weigh 80 grams(3 oz)

Here are some photos of the kit, just look at those decal sheets. The Formosa II is a lot larger than I expected it to be as the comparison to my GWS C47 shows. I do not think I will have any problems with the battery compartment either.

The build will start in the cool of tomorrow morning as I have a Shock Flier on the building board at the moment. The shock flier is to be used to learn to fly E3D without risking the Formosa II.

Ken

Ken
Last edited by kensp; Oct 03, 2005 at 08:17 PM. Reason: spelling
Old Oct 03, 2005, 08:20 PM
Hooper, full throttle!
USA, NY, East Islip
Joined Feb 2004
11,046 Posts
Is the Formosa II a 3D ship?? I thought it was a pattern plane. Man looking at the ailerons it sure screams 3D.
Tommy D is online now Find More Posts by Tommy D